Aren't bicycles suposed to stop at stop signs?

Old September 22nd 03, 12:11 AM
John

Default Aren't bicycles suposed to stop at stop signs?

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
"Kerry Nikolaisen" wrote in message
ink.net...

By and large, the motoring public perceives cyclists as irritating

eccentrics,
they wish you would just go away, or at least not get in their way.

Cycling in
a safe, reasonable, manner will generate all kinds of additional

hostility.
You're better off ignoring the opinions of motorists rather than pandering

them.

And remember not to whine "It's not my fault!" when you blow through that
stop sign and get hit by the vehicle who has the right-of-way.

Old September 22nd 03, 12:20 AM
John

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:51:55 +0950, Sidi wrote:
As I cross some asshole in a Mercedes approaching the intersection -- but

still far enough away that I did not impede his progress at all -- lays on
the horn.

I try to do the right thing, but still I'm viewed as just some bum cyclist
who runs lights. Sigh.

Or, he was trying to warn you that he was coming. For good reasons or not,
you took the right-of-way that belonged to him. You weren't impeding his
progress ACCORDING TO YOU. What scene did the driver see at the
intersection? How many drivers has he encountered that have done the same
"No need to stop" move that you did? How many close accidents have occurred
at that intersection? A horn is the only effective means of communication,
it is neither good nor bad. Just as you assume that drivers are immediately
antagonistic towards you, you immediately jump to bad conclusions about this
driver.

Old September 22nd 03, 12:23 AM
John

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Today, when coming home from my ride, I stopped behind a truck at a stop

sign.
It was sort of rush hour. There were alot of cars coming in both

directions on
the main road. So I got off the bike and walked it across at a cross

walk. The
truck and the car behind both got to make the left turn.

take care
Liz

Hey, careful! Using common sense instead of emotion and stereotyping just
doesn't cut it here,

Old September 22nd 03, 02:29 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:20:07 +0000, John wrote:

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 12:51:55 +0950, Sidi wrote: As I cross some asshole
in a Mercedes approaching the intersection -- but

still far enough away that I did not impede his progress at all -- lays on
the horn.

I try to do the right thing, but still I'm viewed as just some bum
cyclist who runs lights. Sigh.

Or, he was trying to warn you that he was coming. For good reasons or not,
you took the right-of-way that belonged to him.

No. No one is given a right of way. There are circumstances in the law
in which you must yield, but none which give you the right to proceed
without consideration of other traffic. If the light does not work, I was
not violating the law.

You weren't impeding his
progress ACCORDING TO YOU. What scene did the driver see at the
intersection? How many drivers has he encountered that have done the same
"No need to stop" move that you did? How many close accidents have
occurred at that intersection? A horn is the only effective means of
communication, it is neither good nor bad. Just as you assume that drivers
are immediately antagonistic towards you, you immediately jump to bad
conclusions about this driver.

Speaking of jumping to bad conclusions.... I wasn't impeding his progress
because even at the high rate of speed he maintained, I was completely
through the intersection before he would have had to slow down at all,
which he did not do. Had he been worried about hitting me, and trying to
warn me, he would have been slowing down, which he was not. Yes,
according to me.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 22nd 03, 12:27 PM
Peter Cole

"John" wrote in message
news

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
"Kerry Nikolaisen" wrote in message
ink.net...

By and large, the motoring public perceives cyclists as irritating

eccentrics,
they wish you would just go away, or at least not get in their way.

Cycling in
a safe, reasonable, manner will generate all kinds of additional

hostility.
You're better off ignoring the opinions of motorists rather than pandering

them.

And remember not to whine "It's not my fault!" when you blow through that
stop sign and get hit by the vehicle who has the right-of-way.

Er, yeah well, thanks "John". Whatever.

Old September 22nd 03, 11:22 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:42:56 GMT, Marlene Blanshay
wrote:
in it. The girl looked like a chubby Alanis Morissette. They were riding

Isn't it ironic?

their bikes, the wrong way, against the traffic, and then went right into
a busy street, in the middle of the road, not even looking, as if they
figured yeah, they'll stop for us, since we have a baby buggy. Another

That's okay, we don't need another Alanis.

--
Rick Onanian