Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

Old February 20th 04, 10:07 PM
mojo deluxe

Default Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

"JD" wrote in message
om...
snip

Here's one that keeps repeating: It's not about the bike, it's about
the rider.

JD

I know here, our trails are sub-par, compared to other places, but it's
still fun to get out and ride them. The way I see it, it's not about the
bike, nor about the rider. It's about the ride.

It's finally dried up enough here to do a little riding. This morning, I
took the bike out on my small, and average trails here on our land, with my
average skills, and got dirty. I had fun.

I think I'll do it again tomorrow.

Old February 20th 04, 11:16 PM
BB

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:07:24 -0600, mojo deluxe wrote:

I know here, our trails are sub-par, compared to other places, but it's
still fun to get out and ride them. The way I see it, it's not about the
bike, nor about the rider. It's about the ride.

Now here's someone who TOTALLY gets it.

(in my opinion) :-)

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old February 20th 04, 11:30 PM
Rob

I think poor Dan has been "chain-slapped". Prolly diserved it though...

Rob

Old February 20th 04, 11:45 PM
BB

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:54:40 -0800, Penny S wrote:
Dan Volker retorted :
The only really important thing about mountain biking is how to have
the most amount of fun, but for some of us, dueling it out ( going
fast) with our friends is one enjoyable part of this :-)

so are you Cookie or Sporkie?

http://teamsmack.org/ride/ride1.htm

I can't believe I haven't seen this before - very funny stuff!

This all reminds me a lot of something I'd see from time to time near
Dallas, TX - guys in roadie attire "dueling it out" on a multi-use trail,
running hikers, other riders, and - I kid you not - small children off the
trail. I actually saw a pair of these guys come within inches of children
no more than 3 years old, blasting past at full speed.

In 7 years of riding in Oregon, I've yet to see such a thing. Of course,
these trails are way more humbling. What is it about relatively flat
trails that makes some riders think that every ride is a race (and every
trail is a racetrack)?

Old February 21st 04, 02:31 AM
Penny S

Dan Volker retorted :
"Penny S" wrote in message
Dan Volker retorted :
The only really important thing about mountain biking is how to have
the most amount of fun, but for some of us, dueling it out ( going
fast) with our friends is one enjoyable part of this :-)

so are you Cookie or Sporkie?

I'll cast my vote for Cookie.

If that made a whooshing sound, you must have missed this the first
second and third times I posted it.
http://teamsmack.org/ride/ride1.htm

Funny stuff :-)
Sorry, but I don't resemble either.
Regards,
Dan v

Of course you don't. How silly of me.

Old February 21st 04, 02:32 AM
Penny S

Dan Volker retorted :
I would love to see first hand, a guy on a SS bike, able to do what
you guys are so certain they can do, on the South Florida trails. If
that happened, and the SS guy really was able to ride with the fast
guys here, I would immediately change my opinions---but it would be
based on known facts, not just boasts on a NewsGroup.

Since most of you guys would look forward to riding our trails about
as much as you would hitting your thumb with a hammer, I don't think
I'll hold my breath for this, but its still something I would love to
see.

I will be getting out west this summer for a week or so, to Utah, so
maybe someone can point me to a place in that area where a fast trail
exists, and in which SS bikes are competitive with geared bikes. I
don't care about "slow, ultra technical trails". We have those here
also, and while I can ride them, I just don't find that to be fun. As
long as there are plenty of fast sections on a trail, I'm fine with a
few technical sections thrown in to keep everyone honest:-)

Looking for "real" clues,
Dan V

I'm convinced at this point that you think a single speed is a newspaper
bike.

penny

Old February 21st 04, 02:34 AM
Dan Volker

"Penny S" wrote in message
[...]

Penny,
What I'd like to know, is why I should be takig the word of a bunch of NG
posters on ss bike exploits, over many years of what I have seen. The fact
is, you don;t see ss bikes doing anything in Florida. Its also a fact that
Florida mountain biking stinks compared to out west or in the mountains of
Carolina, Georgia, Tenessee and Virginia.
But we do have mountain biking that is fun, and racers from this area win in
contest all over the US, so the skills and abilitiies you get in Florida,
apparently translate to good mountain biking in the west.

So again, when people on the NG preach about SS bikes, in opposition to
everything I have seen and experrienced, WHY should I believe them at face
value?
What have they done which should give them so much credibility, and how and
why should I know about it ?

Dan V

Old February 21st 04, 02:54 AM
Stephen Baker

Dan V says:

What I'd like to know, is why I should be takig the word of a bunch of NG
posters on ss bike exploits, over many years of what I have seen.

I thought you'd only been mountain biking for a few months. Or did I miss
something here?

Steve
Old February 21st 04, 02:54 AM
p e t e f a g e r l i n

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..
What have they done which should give them so much credibility, and how

and
why should I know about it ?

Maybe they've ridden with folks other than local pancake state "heroes"?

Perhaps you should take my advice and check out the fastest lap times from
the 24 Hours of Adrenalin for starters.

Better yet, maybe you should ride with some SS folks on trails that involve
more than a 70' elevation gain. While you're at it contemplate the cadence
issue.

On second thought. Just keep posting your hilarious replies.

Old February 21st 04, 02:57 AM
Penny S

Dan Volker retorted :
"Penny S" wrote in message
[...]

I guess it comes down to some of us have ridden with these single speeders,
and you'll just have to take our word for it. Tough, eh?

penny