Exercise and Age

Old November 10th 04, 04:38 PM
Myo Jorn

The other thing that I have noticed is that two consecutive days with
no exercise now seems equal to a 20 year old's year without exercise.
Doing at least someting every day - with a down day thrown in when I
feel more sore than other days - is really the best for me. If I skip
the gym or miss a ride both Saturday and Sunday, then Monday I am
barely able to do a sit up. But exercising daily (or almost daily)
keeps my knees and other joints quiet, and my posture better, I don't
get winded at the top of the stairs, etc, etc.

I have seen some training web sites call this the "48-Hour Rule". I
am convinced now that regular exercise is as important to aging
gracefully as brushing your teeth.

Myo

(Maggie) wrote in message . com...
One thing I have found as I age....I certainly can't participate in
some of the things I did when I was young. Now that I have taken an
interest in riding a bike I realize that people older than me are
doing it. It's a wonderful sport and its age friendly. I remember my
father in law riding a bike well into his 70's. So, ok, we have to
leave some of the sports we loved behind us....but its nice to know
there are age friendly sports still available to us. I tried playing
volleyball last summer with a bunch of my daughters friends. )All in
their 20's.) They were fine the next day. I was soaking in ben gay.
And I was a damn good volley ball player in my twenties. Damn good.
It's a little depressing to admit you can't do the same things you
could do when you were younger......In some sports you are considered
TOO OLD when you hit thirty five.
Whoever said age is a state of mind did not try to play volleyball for
hours on the beach at age 50 with team members in their twenties. I
look forward to enjoying my bike.
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 10th 04, 04:42 PM
psycholist

om...

(Maggie) wrote in message
[...]

Don't you mean dentures?

Indeed ... I think you're spot on. The 20 year olds can take a nice, long
winter break and come back strong in the Spring. If I take a nice long
winter break, it takes me to next Fall to return to where I was the previous
Fall. The older you are, the more important to stay in shape year-round. I
enjoy kicking young riders' butts in February and March when I'm fit as a
fiddle and they're flabby. Come May and June, it's payback time and I get
humbled.

Bob C.

Old November 10th 04, 04:43 PM
Rick Warner

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:16:21 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

I'm sorry, but your thinking is very, very flawwed. You are giving in to
this notion that you can't do this or that because of age. It's not true.
Sure, you shouldn't, after sitting on your butt for years, expect you get up
one day and compete in strong fashion in volleyball against 20 yos. It's
silly to even think that. But you can train yourself, re-gain/increase
fitness in that sport. Get your weight under control, start weight lifting,
and start playing volleyball on a regular basis (don't do marathon sessions
as you are getting back into it). You can increase your ability in that
sport enough to enjoy it. You may never be on an olympic team, but then
again you likely would not have been in your prime, either.

In what sport are you too old to particiate in at 35? Are you referring to
professionally, against others at any age? Have you ever heard of big
George Foreman?

Roger,

I note you conveniently leave out your age in this discussion. I am a
bit older than Maggie and au contraire it is your thinking that is
flawed. For a variety of reasons one cannot do some of the things
when older that they could do when younger. It is not about sitting
on one's derriere or putting on a few pounds, it is about the
degeneration of connective tissue, the ravages of age and injury, the
onset of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), etc. A couple of
decades back I worked in a group doing research on RA and one of the
physicians, an older German woman, would say whenever she saw a runner
"zey vill be in to see me some day." I used to be a decent runner,
fast enough to be a good defensive back in football and even get a
scholarship offer or two, and I was even faster in the 440 yd and 880
yd distances than the 40's and 100's we ran for football practice.
Surgical reconstruction on an ankle, multiple injuries and repairs to
the knees, and RA makes it so that running is near to impossible and
very high risk for me. But I can kick the butts of most 20 and 30
year olds climbing steep hills on a bicycle. One adapts, adjusts,
modifies their physical regimen to work around the ravages of age and
experience, they do not risk injuring themselves further to grasp at
straws of the past. Live within your limitations, enjoy what you can
do, breathe.

- rick
Old November 10th 04, 05:49 PM
Roger Zoul

Pat wrote:
::: I'm sorry, but your thinking is very, very flawwed. You are giving
::: in to this notion that you can't do this or that because of age.
::: It's not true. Sure, you shouldn't, after sitting on your butt for
::: years, expect you get up one day and compete in strong fashion in
::: volleyball against 20 yos. It's silly to even think that. But you
::: can train yourself, re-gain/increase fitness in that sport. Get
::: your weight under control, start weight lifting, and start playing
::: volleyball on a regular basis (don't do marathon sessions as you
::: are getting back into it). You can increase your ability in that
::: sport enough to enjoy it. You may never be on an olympic team, but
::: then again you likely would not have been in your prime, either.
::
:: I have noticed that in practically every post, Maggie mentions her
:: age. I wonder why? We have many 70+ year olds in our riding club
:: and one 82 year old. Nobody goes around saying, "I'm 50 and...." I
:: think Maggie is buying in to age-related stereotypes.
::
:: Pat in TX

Yes, I noticed it too. But I think she'll get passed it

Old November 10th 04, 05:52 PM
Roger Zoul

psycholist wrote:
:: "Maggie" wrote in message
[...]
:: The human body is a remarkable design with amazing recuperative
:: capabilities. After a lifetime of alcoholism, workaholism and
:: smoking 2 1/2 packs per day, I got interested in cycling about 12
:: years ago. It gave me incentive to quite smoking and drinking and
:: gave me an interest outside of my work. Within a couple of years I
:: was doing sub-5 hour centuries. Today I'm 48 and I'm still doing
:: sub-5 hour centuries and doing training rides with the guys on the
:: local race teams. A dozen years ago I went to bed wheezing each
:: night and wondering if I'd die in my sleep 'cuz I had abused myself
:: so badly. A couple of weeks ago I had a very thorough cardiac test
:: and was told my heart is in better shape than most 20 year olds.
::
:: My observations on aging are that a) you do lose a step, as they say
:: in basketball. That's assuming you were at a very high level at
:: some point. My high level was about 3 years ago. Maggie, if you're
:: just getting started, you'll be improving for a good many years
:: regardless of your age. b) it gets a little tougher to shed pounds
:: when you need to. And c) it gets harder to get motivated to go out
:: and ride in the cold of winter.
::
:: I've read that it takes ten years for a cyclist to build all the
:: capillaries and the whole cardiovascular system they can look
:: forward to having if they stick with the sport. Over that ten
:: years, there will likely be improvement on a year-to-year basis.
:: After that, you're flying all the time!

That's very encouraging, Bob.

Old November 10th 04, 06:04 PM
Roger Zoul

Rick Warner wrote:
:: On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:16:21 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
:: wrote:
::
::
:::
[...]

I'm 46. I didn't leave my age out on purpose - I didn't really think it was
that important because it would only be a data point of one. However, as a
matter of fact, I am now in better shape than I've ever been in in my adult
life. I'm a type 2 diabetic, too, no meds and in good control.

:: For a variety of reasons one cannot do some of the things
:: when older that they could do when younger. It is not about sitting
:: on one's derriere or putting on a few pounds, it is about the
:: degeneration of connective tissue, the ravages of age and injury, the
:: onset of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA), etc.

One may not be able to perform at the same level as when younger, but
barring such aliments as you describe, one can particapate in many
activities taht one could previously do. One cannot expect, as the OP
seemed to indicate, to just pick up one day after years of inactivity and
resume as if not a day as gone by. One has to work up to it.

A couple
:: of decades back I worked in a group doing research on RA and one of
:: the physicians, an older German woman, would say whenever she saw a
:: runner "zey vill be in to see me some day." I used to be a decent
:: runner, fast enough to be a good defensive back in football and even
:: get a scholarship offer or two, and I was even faster in the 440 yd
:: and 880 yd distances than the 40's and 100's we ran for football
:: practice. Surgical reconstruction on an ankle, multiple injuries and
:: repairs to the knees, and RA makes it so that running is near to
:: impossible and very high risk for me.

I can understand this and I don't disagree with it. However, I saw no
indications of physical limitations of this nature in the OPs post.
However, I did see indications of not being active and then suddenly trying
to resume a favorite activity from the days of youth.

[snip]

:: One
:: adapts, adjusts, modifies their physical regimen to work around the
:: ravages of age and experience, they do not risk injuring themselves
:: further to grasp at straws of the past. Live within your
:: limitations, enjoy what you can do, breathe.

That is good advice for the OP. And I fully agree with you.

Old November 10th 04, 06:41 PM
Red Cloud

(Maggie) wrote in message . com...
[...]

That's just nice perfect day. I assume that everything is just fine
for
you Maggie. I don't know your american mentality but I do your kinds
of
believe if life is so perfect from head to toe. You got perfect
house. you got perfect car. you got perfect hair. you got perfect
chest. you got perfect butt.
you got perfect jean. you got perfect shoes. Everything is gergeous
and everything is perfect. Life is perfect! Oh I miss one...your
bicycling is perfect. YOu seem to not having a bad day huh when the
Uncle Sam debt is over 7 $trillion. Pathetic!!!!!
Old November 10th 04, 07:19 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Red Cloud wrote:
That's just nice perfect day. I assume that everything is just fine
for
you Maggie. I don't know your american mentality but I do your kinds
of
believe if life is so perfect from head to toe. You got perfect
house. you got perfect car. you got perfect hair. you got perfect
chest. you got perfect butt.
you got perfect jean. you got perfect shoes. Everything is gergeous
and everything is perfect. Life is perfect! Oh I miss one...your
bicycling is perfect.

Yo, Maggie. So how YOU doin'?!?

Methinks Red Cloud gottum crush.
--