Options for 29"x2" slicks - fatter is better?

Old March 30th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Options for 29"x2" slicks - fatter is better?

On Mar 11, 6:58*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Squat'n Dive:

Umm, ok, I'll consider that for offroad use
thought I never have issues with traction offroad,
it;s usually the knobbies that suck on pavement,
not the other way around

The problem for me hasn't been "offroad" or "road" per-se.

Instead it's the rides where they are nominally pavement, but I
forget and wind up riding across some corporate campus's grass or
hopping a curb onto a dirt bank to avoid some traffic.

Maybe normal people don't have that problem... but it's bitten me
a couple of times.

A minimalist tread pattern like the Pasela is a good compromise when
you have stretches over grass or light mud. I am not as excited about
that tire as some (I got lots of flats), but it has good traction on
pavement without any squirm and at least some traction over wet grass
and light mud and fresh snow. A slick -- even a really fat one --
just spins out on stretches of wet grass. -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 30th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Simon Lewis

Jay Beattie writes:

On Mar 11, 6:58Â*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

According to the cognoscenti here the tread pattern makes zero
difference. Jobst told them.

Me? I slid all over the place with slicks on during "in town" trips so I
think thats a load of old cobblers.
Old March 30th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

ahhh Senor, de Slicks are at El Tailhunter
Old March 30th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

so where are...?
I posted then proceeded to mas grande escribo...
but lookey there, no slicks ! finally, lightening and liability
together on UC's stage.
on the other hand maybe UC didn't odor slicks figuring a wet spring.
BUT ! I spy, I spy get it ? the Marathon Supreme over in 26"-my first
drooling over when riding Kenda. "Ahhhh%%%TTTFR%% doesn't come in 27"
"
Given Conti's techno approach, here a niche there a niche
I gather Schwalbe roared out a few dozen tread designs based on OP's
then stood back to see what floats on a AAA carcass.
We'll leave it AMuzi to cut open a few new Schwalbe (what's the plural
of ?) seeinif daze all dah same.
Golf clubs.
In the Off Road World, saw muh first group of Baja Bugs mit coupe
body's, Porsche power, and apparently A/C full face helmets. I
regress. completely for una momento as 'does this look like fun or
what' "say Erin try Sticky Fingers....."
In the.....the block tread is wetter dirt, the old fashioned snow tire
style, drier dirt
did yawl spy FURIOUS FRED ? a commuter's lawn and garden tire ?
I guess UC just plain ran out of BA slicks - Xmas ?
I wuz at Point Deception crossing L&C's path when we found the Monodog
coasting to a stop on a grade most people can't walk up. I thought of
whatshisname and a formula for this excresence but said what the hay
right ? one design isn't covering all the basis.
Old March 30th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Simon Lewis:
According to the cognoscenti here the tread pattern makes zero
difference.

Somebody opined that there must be an "Aerodyne Effect" (after
the Schwinn exercise machine) from lugged treads.

I *think* my slicks are a little faster than treaded tires of the
same size and for MTB use I've taken to running a nearly-bald
tire on the back unless I need the traction.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 30th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 30, 2:25*pm, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]

Squirm is not something you can feel, but rather a deformation between
raised tread features that absorb hysteretic rubber losses. *What do
you believe gives you advantage on grass? *If it was doing anything
useful you would see grass coming around with the tire as it pulled
some out or ripped off blades.

I use the term "squirm" to describe the movement of the tread as it
passes over the road, which can be great with knobby tires --
particularly in turns. You can feel squirm -- it feels like your tire
is washing out.

My 28mm Pasela has better traction over wet grass than my 35mm
Performance slick. This conclusion is based on riding those tires over
the same patch of lawn many times in similar wet conditions. My
current commuter slicks (28mm Continental and rear 25mm Schwalbe
Blizzard) are useless and I end up walking. I have not checked for
damaged grass. -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 31st 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jobst Brandt:
ess, and rubber did to tires. So all hell broke
loose on wreck.bike claiming type of pavement had a larger effect than
tread pattern... which is untrue. Pavement affects all tires
proportionally to their smooth surface rolling resistance, the effects
being tread squirm into road texture. The patterned tread is always
worse than a slick of similar construction.

The biggest diff that I find is in how hard/soft the surface is.

On soft ground (as in after a couple days' worth of rain) the
diff between 1.5" and 2.4" tires is huge. The bigger tires
still roll over the ground while the 1.5s sink in to where it is
difficult or impossible to pedal.

I guess the macho types didn't want anyone to know their noisy treads
were losers. I have often mentioned that tread pattern gives no
advantage unless it leaves an impression on impressionable soil.

I would agree that slicks are the easiest rolling over any solid
surface that I've ridden - and the narrower the better.

The gotcha is that if there's the least bit of moisture on hard
pack - or the grass is a little wet - a slick will wash out just
like *that*.

It doesn't take much tread to avoid that, but it takes some.

For that reason, even if I'm riding 1.25" tires, there's always a
little tread on the front tire. Saves on dental bills.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 31st 10, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

oh jobst, squirm is felt. With the van and Toyo A/T the van goes into
San Diego's first metro curve going south and as the van approachs the
apex down in the hole, the treads squirm , the van moves around to the
outside of it's pre squirm trajectory then back then out then
back...ad nuaseum - the road suggesting a systems speed limit
I then assume a bicycle tire knob s squirm but are not felt. Right ?
A complete cycle development rider would feel squirm and explain it.
Old March 31st 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

off course it causes rolling resistance ! the resistance causes the
'feeling' of tread 'knobbelling' to coin, and the sideways movements
as mas grande deflections from the tires' contact patch(s)
but you knew that
Old March 31st 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jay Beattie:
My 28mm Pasela has better traction over wet grass than my 35mm
Performance slick.

I would predict that riding them along the fall line of a little
grassy hill when it's wet could result in a crash - especially if
you zig-zag a little.
--
PeteCresswell