Planning to purchase a bike to commute 12 miles in NYC. What do Ineed?

Old June 20th 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned

Default Planning to purchase a bike to commute 12 miles in NYC. What do Ineed?

I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
trailers.

thanks!
Old June 20th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BikingGrad80

"Ned" wrote in message
I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
trailers.

thanks!

Stop by http://www.bikeforums.net/
There is a very active commuting subforum with many of the answers you seek
inlcuding photos and descriptions of bikes and accessories sued in
commuting.

As for what type of bike you would need/want It depends on your budget and
preferences. I'd want a bike that has clearance and eyelets for racks and
fenders.

That rules out most modern road/race bikes.
Most people would recommend touring or cyclocross bikes if you prefer drop
bars.

If you prefere flat bars and are on a budget a hybrid will meet your needs
though I wouldn't like the upright postion without drop bars especially in
windy conditions. Mountain bikes are cheap but same problem and they have
wide tires that are inefficient on pavement.

Old June 20th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour

http://commutebybike.com/

Old June 20th 08, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
Ned wrote:

I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
trailers.

thanks!

Short, unexplained answer:

If you have spent 20 years off of a bike, and you aren't especially
mechanically incline, I would recommend going to your bike shop and
buying a bicycle with flat bars, slick ("road") tires, and (preferably)
700c wheels, though 26" is acceptable. If it's a choice, I would suggest
getting a bike that has a rigid fork rather than a suspension fork.

Do NOT get one with rear suspension. You are unlikely to buy a bicycle
with rear suspension that is suitable to your needs. A suspension
seatpost is a different matter: okay, but not necessary.

I recommend a rear rack and a saddlebag for your laptop. A 12-mile
commute will take you about an hour at first, and you will be happier
with that weight off of your back.

If you intend to ride rain or shine, get full fenders; do not be tempted
by "rat tail" or "deflector shield" fenders, which are not nearly as
nice.

A bike such as I have described will cost $300-1000.

Specific models I would consider: Giant FCR3, Trek Soho 1.0, Kona Dew.

The base-model Dew especially impresses me as having boringly reliable
components at a really sensible price. But this isn't a list of
ridden-and-recommended bikes; this is a list of bikes that look like
good commuter bikes and will work well. If you go to the corporate
websites, look at the bicycles I'm suggesting, and then go to your local
shop, you can probably find a similar bicycle among the brands they
carry, even if they don't carry Trek/Giant/Kona.

Old June 20th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 20, 10:16*am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

*Ned wrote:
[...]

I've got the base Dew. Runs $400. It's shaped like you would want a
utility bike to be shaped. Components are fine. Use them, and replace
as they wear out. There are other similar brands--but this is a great
price point. It's silly to spend more on a bike that you lock outside
and subject to the risks of the city--and frankly--lower end Shimano
kit shifts and runs quite nicely.

Brand matters little, but as Ryan mentioned--the ability to mount
proper accessories is very important. Save money for customizing. For
example--the Dew isn't too bad out of the box, but it does come with
quite miserable tires and pedals which I replaced--little upgrades
like that are what make a bike truly "right"--not the "upsell" stuff
you don't need like fancy high end components and suspensions--those
are unnecessary for the utility cyclist.

If you do get a flat bar bike--which I think are fine for returning
cyclists wanting the security of being close to the controls--do be
aware that there are plenty of options other than just straight or
riser bars if you find your arms uncomfortable. Switching handlebars
is cheap and fun. Grips, too.
Old June 20th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Jun 20, 10:36*am, Ned wrote:
I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? *I have a
laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
trailers.

thanks!

Where are you commuting from/to? I'm in Ditmas Park BK and commute to
midtown Manhattan via the Brooklyn Bridge.

Trailer would be excessive, but a basket or panniers might fit the
bill. If you're locking up outside, less is most definitely more in
terms of weight and bike theivery.

Scott
Old June 20th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Ned" wrote in message
I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
trailers.

Are you able to store the bike inside safely or outside unsafely? This makes
a significant difference to what would be suggested.

Old June 20th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 20, 4:10*pm, Scott Gordo wrote:
On Jun 20, 10:36*am, Ned wrote:

[...]

More can be more as well. A couple Wald baskets on a rack can make any
bike look less attractive to thieves. . Didn't catch the Manhattan
location at first. Try to buy used if locking outside. Buy as much as
you can afford to have stolen. Surely there are tons of bike
collectives that can help cobble something fantastically ugly yet
practical together.
Old June 20th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 20, 4:20*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Ned" wrote in message

I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? *I have a
laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
trailers.

Are you able to store the bike inside safely or outside unsafely? This makes
a significant difference to what would be suggested.

If you are locking up outside, you will need a heavy duty U-lock.
Also, covering the frame with electrical tape (won't leave glue
residue) then with duct tape (will leave glue residue on the
electrical tape) to lower the apparent value is handy.
http://www.breezerbikes.com has a good laptop specific pannier, an
open shopping pannier, and a regular pannier on the other side.
Old June 21st 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Ned wrote:

I live 12 miles from work and I want to commute by bike this summer to
lose weight. I started looking at used bikes and then I saw mention of
a "commuter bike" and someone else mentioned "great tires for city
riding", and that's when I realized that after 20 years of not riding
a bike I need to update my understanding of bike technology before I
buy anything. Can anyone tell me what to look for? or give me a
resource that can help me choose a bike for commuting? I have a
laptop that I need to take to work and back home. I do not know if a
backpack would be the best thing, I have seen what I think are called
trailers.

Slick tires.
Rack.
Pannier.

Plenty of work fitting a bicycle and adapting your
body to the requirements of propelling the bicycle.

Adapt to riding a bicycle in traffic. Don't panic.
When in doubt pull over and onto the sidewalk then
stop and take inventory.

I think you should go for drop handle bars and
learn to use them. Get them about saddle height
or a little lower at first, then allow for dropping
them. You might (nay will) eventually buy another
bicycle when you have learned from the first.

--
Michael Press