Predictions

Old January 6th 20, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Predictions

On 1/6/2020 2:22 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/6/2020 11:02 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/5/2020 4:18 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 8:09:22 PM UTC+1, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 1/5/2020 8:44 AM, Guy Gadboit wrote:
On Friday, 3 January 2020 01:02:33 UTC, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I remember asking what could possibly be the advantage
in designing a bike to
prohibit reasonable tire choices. I don't remember any
reasonable answers.

It starts to get very tricky to squeeze the chainstays
in around them and the cranks. A lot of people nowadays
(on metal frames) are using "drive side yokes" (a bit of
vertical metal plate replacing the last few inches of
the DS chainstay).

I guess there's no real harm in this but if you stick to
a max of about 25mm tyres you can have nice straight
round/oval/round chainstays with no dimples in them and
it all just fits together.

What you say about squeezing chainstays between between
tires and cranks
is true for extremely wide tires and cranks with narrow
spacing (or
"Q"). But there's very little problem designing a frame
for 35mm tires.
And there's certainly no practical reason for excluding
even 28mm tires.
It was just a fashion choice.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Limiting factors are frame (chainstay length), fork and
rim brake calipers and 'optimized' for up to 25-26 mm.

Yes, although brake calipers can be changed, and "optimized"
is uselessly vague.

Never had a frame/fork that could not handle 25 mm wide
tires. My 16 year old Litespeed can take 25 mm wide
Continental 4 season in the front; 28 mm wide will hit the
fork.

My point is, 25mm is too narrow for many people on many road
surfaces. "28mm will hit the fork" is precisely what I'm
talking about. That's a senseless restriction. It takes away
reasonable versatility and adds nothing of value.

Now disk brakes eliminate the limiting factor of rim brake
calipers frame manufacturers are happy to accommodate
wider tires. If your lady friend will need an new bike and
ask you for advice again look for bikes with disk brakes.
You probably will start complaining about the
complexity/reliability of disk brakes.

You know my views on disc brakes. For most riders they are
as much a fashion choice as forks that don't allow a 28mm
tire (let alone a 32mm).

What I was wondering was why did you not got her a light
touring bike?

We did! But we had to visit five shops to find one. Despite
being the most versatile bike style, those were not "trendy"
enough to be available in most shops.

In every manufactured product there are differences, for different
people. I can't put 19" wheels on my Corvair, or even super wide racing
tires (neither of which had ever even occurred to me before I read your
post). This doesn't mean that some trendy 2020 new car is deficient in
that it won't roll down a street with my 13" wheels either.

I'm talking specifically about differences whose only benefit is style,
and which actually diminish the functionality of the device.

I likened super-close-clearance frames to women's stiletto heels, but
that's uncharitable to the heels. They do tend to work for their
intended purpose, which is to grab attention.

BTW, when I had a 'Vair like yours, I remember flattening the bodywork
lips inside the top of the wheel wells to allow wider tires, for (even)
better cornering. Those were the days.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 7th 20, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 12:04:22 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/6/2020 10:49 AM, wrote:

My Time VX Edge was built when 23 mm were wide and it would STILL accommodate 28 mm tires.

And that's how it should be! Certainly, the ability to take 28s didn't
slow you down. In this case, versatility is all benefit, no detriment.

Well, except for marketers and their slaves, I guess.

Geeze Frank, are you sure that it wasn't the other way round?

I remember way back when "English 10 speed racers" were first seen.
You remember. They all used "sew up" tires that were, perhaps, 22mm
although I don't even remember them having a size. Again from memory,
you just went into the shop and said, "give me two tires".

Then along came these new! tires that had to have an extra tube to
work and even needed those funny new rims .... obviously some sort of
fad (it will never last) thought up by the advertising people.

Then, of course, along came even stranger people that wanted wide
tires, just like my old single speed bike with the coaster brake, you
know, the one with the wide handle bars and the colored streamers
hanging off the bar ends.

So Frank, it looks as though it wasn't narrow tires that were a
result of advertisement - they were "always" that way. It is these
loonies that want wide tires that are the victims of the advertising
folks.
--
cheers,

John B.

TdF predictions? Alan[_9_] Racing 5 July 28th 19 10:15 AM
24h predictions [email protected] Racing 4 June 10th 08 08:46 AM
any predictions? Andre Racing 4 September 1st 07 02:52 PM
Predictions please. [email protected] Racing 30 June 26th 07 10:15 AM
Predictions Tom Kunich Racing 17 March 17th 06 06:30 AM