Power meter news

Old January 3rd 20, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Power meter news

Hey Tom, maybe those craigslist sellers are just ready to
upgrade to Campagnolo:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/12/30/pat...gauge-patents/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 3rd 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 11:00:05 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
Hey Tom, maybe those craigslist sellers are just ready to
upgrade to Campagnolo:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/12/30/pat...gauge-patents/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I kind of think that they are worried that the industry is leaving them behind. Shimano Ultegra is killing them in the marketplace at the moment.
Old January 3rd 20, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/3/2020 2:58 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 11:00:05 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
Hey Tom, maybe those craigslist sellers are just ready to
upgrade to Campagnolo:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/12/30/pat...gauge-patents/

I kind of think that they are worried that the industry is leaving them behind. Shimano Ultegra is killing them in the marketplace at the moment.

SRAM beats both for 2019 pro group volume worldwide.

Old January 3rd 20, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 10:39:31 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/3/2020 2:58 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 11:00:05 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
Hey Tom, maybe those craigslist sellers are just ready to
upgrade to Campagnolo:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/12/30/pat...gauge-patents/

I kind of think that they are worried that the industry is leaving them behind. Shimano Ultegra is killing them in the marketplace at the moment.

SRAM beats both for 2019 pro group volume worldwide.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Really? More Force gruppos than Ultegra? Hard to believe if I look around here.

Lou
Old January 3rd 20, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 1/3/2020 2:58 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 11:00:05 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
Hey Tom, maybe those craigslist sellers are just ready to
upgrade to Campagnolo:

https://bikerumor.com/2019/12/30/pat...gauge-patents/

I kind of think that they are worried that the industry is leaving them behind. Shimano Ultegra is killing them in the marketplace at the moment.

SRAM beats both for 2019 pro group volume worldwide.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Really? More Force gruppos than Ultegra? Hard to believe if I look around here.

Hard to believe having used Ultegra and SRAM Red. I don't like double tap. ETap is interesting without the wires, but I know nothing about it otherwise. The hydro levers are ugly, and I prefer dealing with mineral oil over DOT fluid anyway.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 3rd 20, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

On 1/3/2020 2:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

I have SRAM Force on my bike. I didn’t much like it at first. But I
recently did a workout on a bike with Ultegra and realized that I do like
the SRAM better. I guess it’s just what you’re used to...

Old January 4th 20, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I agree with you and Hambini has said that the workmanship on the SRAM components is pure ****. He showed Force cranks with 2 mm of free play in the cranks around the bearings. I don't like the idea of the "double tap" shifting since on hard climbs my hands will get numb and I can't tell how hard I'm pushing the levers. I still am quite doubtful of SRAM wireless shifting around high voltage power lines since there is a hell of a lot of magnetic and electro-static fields. You can cure that problem in the design easily enough but it requires stronger signals which in turn means shorter battery life and wireless has batteries in each component.

Old January 4th 20, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

Clarification- I may have misunderstood my SRAM management
source last week. SRAM sold more _electronic shift control_
groups than Shimano and way more than Campagnolo EPS.

Old January 4th 20, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 1/3/2020 2:58 PM, wrote:
[...]

I think I was just discussing this - Mineral oil has a rather high viscosity which makes it difficult to bleed properly. Dot brake fluid has a viscosity something like 80 times lower hence making it easier to bleed free of air. Rear brakes with the long tubing and fairly flat run are especially liable for spongy rear brakes.

Since Shimano supplies mineral oil that is what I would use since seals can be sensitive to different types of fluid.

DOT fluid would kill the seals in a Shimano system, so its not even an option. Mineral oil is not difficult to bleed or fill, at least for me -- and the problem most people have with Shimano rear discs is that they are too responsive, at least compared to cable actuated rim brakes or cable discs.

The benefit of DOT fluid is that it is cheap, but I don't like using paint-eating solvents, and I use a Shimano group, so I'm tied to mineral oil anyway. I have road discs and ride in a moderate climate, so fluid boiling points aren't that important to me -- to the extent that mineral oil and DOT fluid really differ that much. Compressibility of mineral oil versus DOT fluid also makes no difference because my current system is so responsive that any more braking would not be a good thing. If I'm sloppy with mineral oil, the only bad result is that I waste money. I don't lose paint or skin. That's the main reason I like mineral oil.

-- Jay Beattie.