Shimano Hollowtech lateral play

Old January 7th 20, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano Hollowtech lateral play

On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 3:01:47 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/7/2020 4:46 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 11:36:15 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/7/2020 1:16 PM,
wrote:
On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 11:20:27 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 7:37:52 PM UTC+1, wrote:

Considered by whom? They are both second level group sets from their corresponding manufacturers. That Campy do not use such a steep drop in construction techniques doesn't change that.

By me having and using both Chorus and Ultegra. Today Chorus is third level btw, you have to pay attention Tom. You have Super Record, Record, Chorus and then Potenza. Centaur is also still around, on par or a little below Potenza.

Super Record is a 12 speed group. Ultegra and Chorus are 11. On the Ultegra you have the ability to shift large cogs which is missing on the Chorus though I suppose that you could do that by using a Potenza rear derailleur, I'm not sure that it uses the same shift ratios.

Chorus is 12 speed and the currently most popular setup is
11~34 with a 32x48 carbon Hirth crank (no pinch bolts).

You may prefer Ultegra, and it's a fine set, but it's not
'equivalent' to Chorus in my opinion.

Well, I haven't seen any record or chorus that would take a cog larger than 28 tooth though they've strained them to 29. But you're working with the 11 and 12 stuff and although I was told that the 11 had the same limits as the 10 perhaps Campy has finally gotten the message.

But there's NO WAY that a pro could ride a 48 large ring since they're spinning out the 50-11's. I spin out a 50-11 with a tailwind.

To complement another current RBT thread, Campagnolo offers
various gearing options:

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Com...set_12x2_speed

which is an inherently good thing, given humans as we are.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

The people looking for workers now have these really weird practices. 1. They don't want to talk to you if you have worked in the last year. This is preposterous for embedded systems since nothing has changed in the last 20 years to speak of. The programming languages have been vaguely updated and they manufacture different microprocessors now - but there is only really two kinds so that shouldn't have any effect. And they have different operating systems they want you to be familiar with. The entire idea of having an operating system is that you don't have to write that piece of code so it would only take you a day or two to learn the new system and perhaps a week to be good at using it - they advertise these jobs sometimes for months because they can't find precisely what they're looking for. That's pretty stupid.
2. They are doing hiring over email. This is even more stupid. What do they think? That they are doing me a favor to hire me? They are the one's that need competent people and they don't even want to talk to you in person.

But they continue to send me employment requests. I sure as hell am not going to be changing anything. Do they think that if they do not hire me that somehow I'm going to have more recent experience next time? I could get a job in 5 minutes if I would work in Silicon Valley but I do not intend to drive 3 hours each way in the average traffic conditions just to make someone else a good product to sell?

I really don't need to work any more but if I could get a good job locally it would give me some extra money to recondition the two bathrooms in my home and probably put a new flooring into the front room which is expensive to get done because my wife has a piano there. You couldn't think that makes a thousand bucks difference to refloor but it does.

If all of that was completed I might think of the top end Trek frameset with rim brakes and a Chorus group. At the rates I make that would be about 6 months of working.
Old January 7th 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Trying to find something on that Campy site it looks to me like the EPS is only on a Super Record Group. I was looking through eBay at Di2 groups and there are a LOT of scratched up groups. I don't know if this is from racing or from just normal riding and falling.

I also don't understand the DuraAce wiring kit I got that has 4 or 5 connectors per wire. uite frankly I can't see the slightest reason for that since the computer is in the stem unit and that should do any and all updates. I suppose that they could put all sorts of feedback loops but I can't quite see how that would improve anything.

The SRAM stuff has to be pretty power intensive with radio links because you have to have enough RF power to override any local electro-magnetic disturbances. Imagine riding next to the BART tracks and having the local power generator kick in because a train is about to enter that power sector.

Shimano Hollowtech Bob[_2_] UK 24 July 21st 09 08:44 PM
Shimano Hollowtech II Bearings. Drinky UK 8 November 14th 07 12:51 PM
FA: SHIMANO DEORE 26/36/48 Hollowtech CRANKSET- Pizza Man Marketplace 0 April 15th 05 07:19 PM
FA:Shimano HollowTech 9spd LX Crankset and BB - 30.00 Doc Marketplace 0 September 21st 04 02:47 AM
Rear derailleur lateral play John McGraw Techniques 10 September 11th 04 06:45 PM