spiders and clothes.

Old November 8th 04, 02:59 AM
Bill

Default spiders and clothes.

It has been an interesting few days of riding. Friday there was spider
silk in the air, everywhere, like a bad B movie. Baby spiders looking
for a home, all at once. After about one mile of trying to brush it off
I gave up and just let it build up on my face and clothes. Spider silk
on the face tickles, but it was different for that one day. Saturday
there was no sign of spiders. Sunday, I was trying the layered clothing
thing and after about 5 miles took off my sweat tops and wrapped them on
the handle bars. All went well for the next ten miles then suddenly the
front wheel all but locks up and I wind up doing a 'stoppie' or reverse
wheelie. When I came to a stop the rear wheel clunked back to the
ground, telling me that an extra 1 MPH would have sent me over the bars.
At this point I was glad I was taking it easy and only going about 12
MPH. I may yet have to get some bags or baskets for the back of the bike
and do a total Fred. Layered clothing works best when you have some
place to put it. Leave the stunt riding to the kids.
Bill Baka

Old November 8th 04, 05:13 AM
alan

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

dont even know what it's like riding without a backpack...i think it saves
weight over using a rack. and keeps my back dry.
-alan

Old November 8th 04, 05:44 PM
dgk

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 21:13:12 -0800, "alan" .@. wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I found just the opposite. I put on a rack because I got tired of
having the back of my shirt soaking from where the backpack was.

I suppose the rack does add a bit of weight, but it doubles as a
fender and keeps the rain from shooting up my back.
Old November 8th 04, 06:57 PM
Bill Baka

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

The backpack at least does not compromise the bicycle for some
serious rough riding, which sometimes is included in my
off road rides. The cold season may make those on the summer
waitng list though. The worst part of my 'accident' is that
my sweat top now has about 3 holes in it from the front tire
grinding on it. I may have this figured out in a few weeks,
I hope. There is no way I am going to not ride.
Bill Baka
Old November 8th 04, 09:40 PM
JRKRideau

"alan" .@. wrote in message ...
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

But not much capacity. I use a rack with large capacity paniers.
Makes hauling that 10 kg (22lb) bag of flour plus the rest of the
groceries easy and I don't have to carry everything around. I estimate
up to 20 kg is hardly noticeable once one is on the bike (with the
caveat of no 10% slopes .

John Kane
Perth ON

Old November 8th 04, 10:33 PM
Bill Baka

On 8 Nov 2004 13:40:55 -0800, JRKRideau wrote:

"alan" .@. wrote in message
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed, but I use the bike mainly for fun/exercise purposes. Of course
in the winter months I will be doing less 'exploring' cycling.
It is good to have 3 bikes though so maybe I will mod my Huffy.
My bikes get the garage and the cars are banished to the outside.
Bill Baka