Directions Peeves: Just me?

Old January 24th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Directions Peeves: Just me?

"The Wogster" wrote in message
.. .
[...]
Granted UNIX and Linux are generally much more stable than Windows.
But, I do think you're exagerating the crash prone-ness of Windows a
touch. With XP, it generally stays up for a week or two before it
really needs a reboot. And it generally doesn't blue screen at random
nearly as much. [2] It's almost workable. [3]

I have never even heard of anyone who bothered with Linux (What is UNIX?).
Microsoft Windows XP is a blooming miracle. I do not want to type in
instructions or mess with the keyboard much (except for emails and messages
to Usenet) or do any other kind of nonsense. I simply want to point and
click my mouse and be done with it. It is my understanding that Bill Gates
made it possible for me to do this, so more power to him as far as I am
concerned.

I suppose it's a sufficient OS for playing games and fiddling with
trivial documents and what-not. Which is 95% of what everyone uses
computers for anyway.

I use my computer for music (and some pictures too) but I do not regard it
as a replacement for my stereo sound system. I never play games on the
computer, not even solitaire even though I am a hermit. I surf all over the
world on the Internet with the miraculous Internet Explorer (IE) and get
hundreds of viruses and thousands of spyware items each and every month. It
is always an adventure to see if any of it is going to take my computer
down.

When it gets totally messed up I take it into the computer shop for repairs
and it costs me about a hundred dollars each and every time. I think that is
the main expense of having a computer.

I have used, every version of windows since 3.0, and the naming actually
makes sense, see the handy guide below.

3.0 number of lines of bug free code.
3.1 number of lines of bug free code.
95 amount of time required between reboots, in seconds.
98 amount of time required between reboots, in seconds.
ME Mostly Erronious
NT Not Tested
2000 Monthly cost of machine maintenance, per computer
2003 Monthly cost of machine maintenance, per computer
XP eXtra Pathetic.

The only OS I know is XP. It seems to work pretty good for me, except when
it freezes up and won't do anything at all. The greatest thing about Windows
is the wonderful Outlook Express. Why anyone would get any other mail server
or newsreader is beyond me. It is my understanding that some folks even pay
good money for a newsreader service which seems crazy to me.

If only Adobe would make a version of Photoshop that runs on Linux, then
Windows would go bye-bye, around here permanently.

Why do you need something like Photoshop? Just take good pictures to begin
with and you are all set.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 24th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

It would be quite difficult to cram even more naivete and just plain
falsehoods in one paragraph than this. My favorites a

"Microsoft Windows XP is a blooming miracle"

and

"It is my understanding that Bill Gates made it possible for me to do
this".

Both are about the funniest things I read this week (admittedly, it's
only Tuesday).

This is my first post to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent - I'm thinking of
getting the Velotechnik Speedmachine sometime (hopefully) soon. Any
obvious things to watch out for?

--
Jan Bielawski

Old January 24th 06, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:

The greatest thing about Windows is the wonderful Outlook Express.

It's me again. I think I've been had. This post was a joke - right?

--
Jan Bielawski

Old January 25th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

The point and click interface, Bill G stole from Apple, who had stolen
it from the Palo Alto Research Center owned by Xerox, often in the biz
called Xerox Parc or sometimes simply Parc. Of course Unix has had
major user friendliness upgrades in recent years, on of the most
interesting is Mac OS-X which has BSD Unix at it's heart, not far behind
are KDE and Gnome.

I suppose it's a sufficient OS for playing games and fiddling with
trivial documents and what-not. Which is 95% of what everyone uses
computers for anyway.

I use my computer for music (and some pictures too) but I do not regard it
as a replacement for my stereo sound system. I never play games on the
computer, not even solitaire even though I am a hermit. I surf all over the
world on the Internet with the miraculous Internet Explorer (IE) and get
hundreds of viruses and thousands of spyware items each and every month. It
is always an adventure to see if any of it is going to take my computer
down.

Ah Internet Exploder, basically it's a piece of crap, that only became
popular because it came with Windows. Personally my computer uses
Firefox for the browser, and is hiding behind a firewall, with a full
time virus checker running.

[...]

A computer should never freeze up, the firewall box under my desk runs
Smoothwall, and has been running continuously for almost 3 years, in
that time it has rebooted twice, due to the DSL box needing a reset.
Most big iron computers, like the banks use, for their main processing,
use either MVS, VM or Unix, MVS and VM machines get rebooted twice a
year, when the time changes (they need a restart to set the time),
others and most Unix machines use UTC time, and run for years without
getting a reboot.

I use Thunderbird as a mail/news reader, works very well, as for the
service, it comes from my ISP.

Old January 25th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

JanPB wrote:
This is my first post to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent - I'm thinking of
getting the Velotechnik Speedmachine sometime (hopefully) soon. Any
obvious things to watch out for?

The optional "T" bars make it harder to get on and off the
Speedmachine, but the "C" bars are horrendously ugly.

You will also find it more fun to ride the Speedmachine than to mess
around with computers.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 25th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Johnny Sunset wrote:
JanPB wrote:
This is my first post to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent - I'm thinking of
getting the Velotechnik Speedmachine sometime (hopefully) soon. Any
obvious things to watch out for?

The optional "T" bars make it harder to get on and off the
Speedmachine, but the "C" bars are horrendously ugly.

I tested the "C" bars and didn't like them - the access to the shifters
was too messy for my taste. Same for the underbars. Unfortunately the
store I went to didn't have the "T" bars installed. I don't think it
would be a problem for me to get on or off - should I worry about this?

Another question - is it possible to use a wax lubricant like White
Lightning? Not sure how those guide tubes (whatever they are called)
would react to it. Speaking of which: the only thing I didn't like
about the SpeedMachine so far was those tubes. They look like some
last-minute bandaid, really, really clumsy. Is it possible to ride
without them?

You will also find it more fun to ride the Speedmachine than to mess
around with computers.

I stopped using Windows at home 6 years ago so I'm happy :-) In that
time I had 0 (zero) virus problems and my antique Pentium II at 450 MHz
purrs like a kitten even with the newest Red Hat 4 (or WhiteBox 4 I
should say). Just try that trick with Windows - it's a neverending
hardware upgrade/Microsoft robbing you blind routine.

--
Jan Bielawski

Old January 25th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
ps.com...

JanPB wrote:
This is my first post to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent - I'm thinking of
getting the Velotechnik Speedmachine sometime (hopefully) soon. Any
obvious things to watch out for?

The optional "T" bars make it harder to get on and off the
Speedmachine, but the "C" bars are horrendously ugly.

Beauty is in the eye of something or other, but with the C bars, you don't
get that stupid praying hamster pale patch of skin between your bicep and
forarm. I admit that the bend should be reconsidered for the C bar so there
is more clearence room for a muscular gastrocnemious, but it certainly
isn't ugly.

The most obvious thing to watch for is a depletion of your bank balance as
you find bits to upgrade.

snip

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 25th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

JanPB wrote:
I stopped using Windows at home 6 years ago so I'm happy :-) In that
time I had 0 (zero) virus problems and my antique Pentium II at 450
MHz purrs like a kitten even with the newest Red Hat 4 (or WhiteBox 4
I should say). Just try that trick with Windows - it's a neverending
hardware upgrade/Microsoft robbing you blind routine.

Hmmm. Three-year-old Dell P4 w/XP Home. Have not spent a penny on it since
delivery.

Bill "FWIW" S.

Old January 25th 06, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"JanPB" wrote in message
ups.com...
Edward Dolan wrote:

The greatest thing about Windows is the wonderful Outlook Express.

It's me again. I think I've been had. This post was a joke - right?

The Great Ed Dolan himself does not always know when he is joking and when
he is being serious. However, there is always a profound component to
everything he says, no matter how outrageous, but you have to have to be
wise to know it.

Old January 25th 06, 11:58 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

In article . com, JanPB
) wrote:

I tested the "C" bars and didn't like them - the access to the shifters
was too messy for my taste. Same for the underbars. Unfortunately the
store I went to didn't have the "T" bars installed. I don't think it
would be a problem for me to get on or off - should I worry about this?

Only the T bars were available when I got mine; not a problem to get on
and off.

Another question - is it possible to use a wax lubricant like White
Lightning? Not sure how those guide tubes (whatever they are called)
would react to it. Speaking of which: the only thing I didn't like
about the SpeedMachine so far was those tubes. They look like some
last-minute bandaid, really, really clumsy. Is it possible to ride
without them?

Haven't tried White Lightning, but don't see any reason why one couldn't
use it. One could not do without the chain tubes as the run from the
idler to the chainring would probably saw through the fork in fairly
short order, while the run from rear wheel forward to the idler would do
likewise to the rear triangle. And there'd be all sorts of problems
with the return run.

np: "Apologies To Insect Life", British Sea Power