I'm going to participate without a helmet...

Old October 28th 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default I'm going to participate without a helmet...

On Oct 27, 10:14*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On 27 Oct, 21:35, Frank Krygowski apparently wrote:
On Oct 27, 2:15 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
We sell flippy flags too (two models even) without endorsement.
Ah, but do you denigrate them? Kinda doubt it.
I will. Flippy flags are not necessary. Bicycling is plenty safe
enough without them.

But...but...YOU DON'T SELL THEM.

I'll sell you one if you want it badly enough. It will go nicely with
your helmet!

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 28th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Bill Sornson wrote:

So the people who sarcastically recommend "walking helmets" and "shower
helmets" really mean heavy "motorsport (sic) helmets"? *

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=motorsport

I did not make up the term. Without a doubt, one of us is (sic), but
it's not me.

Bill "[sarcams (sic) mode] and how prescient of you to wear a heavy,
full-face lid the one time you needed it on a bicycle (highly believable)
[end sarcams]" S.

I had just mounted an 8" front disc brake and I was heading out to
test it to the utmost. I had a helmet to wear, but it was a
motorcycle helmet. I wore it. It turned out to be a good idea.

If I had owned a bicycle helmet and worn it instead, I'd have broken
out the dental work I got from another bicycle crash in which a
bicycle helmet would not have helped.

Just sayin'.

Chalo
Old October 28th 09, 08:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson[_5_]

Chalo wrote (deleting all context as always):
Bill Sornson wrote:

So the people who sarcastically recommend "walking helmets" and
"shower helmets" really mean heavy "motorsport (sic) helmets"?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q=motorsport

I did not make up the term. Without a doubt, one of us is (sic), but
it's not me.

I know the term motor sport. "Motorsport" is a *******ized word (according
to spell check, at least); thus the (sic).

You still ignore the contradiction of those who say cycling lids do no good
(or even cause harm), yet
"recommend" them for walking, showering, driving, etc. Just one of
/numerous/ double standards to which you adhere.

Old October 28th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 28, 4:16*am, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

You still ignore the contradiction of those who say cycling lids do no good
(or even cause harm), yet
"recommend" them for walking, showering, driving, etc.

And you still ignore the explanation that you were given, and only you
seem to need.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 28th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 27, 7:28*pm, Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk
wrote:
Of course, the fact that a knitted hat can slip under a glancing blow
instead of rotating your head can't be a bad thing either.
Hair has a similar quality, but genetics or fashion don't always
oblige.

That explains away my experience, when I smashed my teeth out (as well
as many other head-impact crashes) I had long hair.

Reminds me of a day when I was 12 or so, a female friend hit a jump
and the board snapped, causing a near vertical launch of her and her
bike. She let go and landed harshly on her ass and then the back of
her head, where she had her hair in a "poof" or "bun" if you prefer.
I remember to this day seeing how hard she hit the ground and running
for the house to call 911 when she yelled "ow", then got to her feet,
declaring "my poof saved my life!". Perhaps we should all just grow
our hair out and wear it in a "poof" while cycling?
Old October 28th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 27 Oct, 23:28, Phil W Lee phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:
Frank Krygowski considered Tue, 27 Oct 2009
08:29:27 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Oct 26, 11:03*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
RonSonic wrote:
Especially since in an automobile a helmet heavy and rugged enough
to do some good is practical.

*"Bill Sornson" wrote:
And if I take a sudden fall and my head hits asphalt road, concrete
curb or steel barrier, a hard-shell plastic-over-foam helmet is
practical, too.

Frank Krygowski wrote:
And by some personal accounts, so is a wooly knit hat. *One poster
here has previously noted that, using the same "logic" that helmet
fans use, his knitted hat has saved his life!
One thing we know for su *Before bike helmets came out as a
heavily marketed American accessory, street crews used to send front
end loaders out each evening to shovel away the corpses of fallen
bicyclists. *Riding a bike was oh, so deadly!
Right?

Hey I wore a wool hat riding this morning and I have not
died (much anyway) so it must have SAVED MY LIFE!

Let's think about this logically for just one minute. *If according to Frank
a "wooly knit hat" provides /some/ protection in a head impact scenario -- *
padding, cushioning, whatever -- then why wouldn't a more substantial
covering -- say, a hard-shell plastic-over-foam-core BICYCLE HELMET -- *
provide a bit /more/ protection?

:-) *Ah, Bill, you're a wonder! *(There's always one guy in the crowd
who has to have everything explained very slowly.)

Yes, Bill, a bike helmet would provide a "bit" more protection. *But
not enough of a "bit" to actually have an effect on the data. *Serious
head injury rates have never budged - except perhaps upward - when
helmet use has soared.

The point of the wooly cap story was this: *Many people have claimed
that they fell, hit their helmet, and were not injured, and that it
was PROOF that helmets are tremendously wonderful and necessary. *But
the same thing happens with other styles of hat. *The PROOF applies as
well to knit hats, baseball caps and the like.

And those have the added benefit that they don't "require" you to buy
another one after it "saves" you.

- Frank Krygowski

Of course, the fact that a knitted hat can slip under a glancing blow
instead of rotating your head can't be a bad thing either.
Hair has a similar quality, but genetics or fashion don't always
oblige.

I had this discussion with a long haired bike shop manager twenty
years back. First time I've heard the argument again. We agreed,
long hair is preferable to foam caps.