Melbourne man plans to cycle & sail around the world

Old December 6th 06, 02:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
>mugwump

Default Melbourne man plans to cycle & sail around the world

He leaves from Federation Square this Sunday 10/12 at 1300 hours.

http://www.earthodyssey.net/
Old December 6th 06, 05:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

mugwump Wrote:
He leaves from Federation Square this Sunday 10/12 at 1300 hours.

http://www.earthodyssey.net/

Like to see him first negiotate the perilous Flinders/Swanston Drive
x-ing. Or will he truly take his life into his hands and head down St
Kilda Rd? Watch filtering to the front on bike storage boxes, the
natives can get rather snarky ...

********

More from the site:

THE EXPEDITION
70,000 kilometres by bicycle & 12,000 nautical miles by sail

Departing from Melbourne, Australia in late 2006 with a scant kit of
basic necessities, a world map and an open itinerary, I will embark on
a solo expedition to circumnavigate the planet by bicycle and sail. In
the spirit of exploration and discovery I’ll be sailing the high seas
and cycling overland on a series of transcontinental journeys bound for
some of the most remote and inhospitable environments on the planet.

In addition to the physical and mental challenges inherent in
sustainable travel through an extreme range of climates and terrain,
this journey will take me into the lives of people the world over;
enabling me to gain grass-roots insight into the ways of exotic
cultures and societies far removed from the western consciousness.

The principal aim of the expedition is to circumnavigate the planet
using zero-emissions. In other words, solely by my own steam and the
forces of nature (no planes, trains, buses or fossil fuels).

Over the course of the journey I will cycle approximately 70,000
kilometres through at least five continents and upward of 50 countries,
and sail 12,000 nautical miles cross the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian
oceans. The journey will take about half a decade to complete.

THE ROUTE

Due to the nature of the expedition and the countless variables on the
ground, it is impossible to predict an exact route and therefore the
actual route may differ substantially. The following description
represents my ideal route.

STAGE 0NE: Oceania, Eastern Asia (12,000kms) & the Pacific Ocean (3,600
Nautical Miles)

Departing form Melbourne, I head north up the East Coast of Australia,
through Southeast Asia to Japan. From somewhere in Northeast Asia I
plan to cross the North Pacific aiming for Alaska.

STAGE TWO: The Americas (25,000kms) & the Atlantic Ocean (4,225
Nautical Miles)

From Alaska I begin the long road south through Western Canada, the
United States, Mexico and Central America. Once I’m in the Southern
Continent I follow the line of the Andes through Colombia, Ecuador,
Peru, Chile, Bolivia and Argentina, all the way to Cape Horn. From
Tierra del Fuego I cycle north towards Brazil in search of a passage
across the Atlantic to Europe or Africa*.

*Although I’m not including Africa in this itinerary I’m not ruling it
out either; due to the volatile state of the continent and without
knowing where I would land and how this would affect the route it's
impossible to plan for at this stage.

STAGE THREE: Europe (10,000kms)

I continue the journey cycling from the Mediterranean to Scandinavia,
then through Eastern Europe and on to Russia towards Kazakhstan.

STAGE FOUR: Central Asia, the Indian subcontinent (8,000kms) & the
Indian Ocean (4,180 Nautical Miles)

Kazakhstan leads me into Northwestern China where I make my way through
the Taklamakan Desert and onto the roof of the world, across the Tibetan
Plateau, and over the Himalayas through Nepal and India. Here I cross
the Indian Ocean back to Australia.

STAGE FIVE: Australia (12,000kms)

The home run takes me the long way round. From Darwin I cycle down the
West Coast, along the south via the Nullarbor Plain and back to
Melbourne. This will complete the coastal circuit of Australia.

--
cfsmtb