Johan/Armstrong/Contador setting stage for epic 1st stage

Old July 3rd 09, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Johan/Armstrong/Contador setting stage for epic 1st stage

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team...ssue-at-astana

It just doesn't get much crazier. Alberto saying one thing, Lance saying
something entirely different, and now claiming there was never any
discussion that Alberto was the team "leader."

A month ago I wouldn't have thought there to be the slightest chance
Lance could win the first time trial. But now, I just don't see him
conceding any time whatsoever to Contador. It might be best for team
unity if Leipheimer were to take the stage, and of course we're (or at
least I) acting like there's nobody else in the race. There certainly
are! The only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that it won't be
David Millar wearing yellow on Sunday.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old July 3rd 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jul 3, 2:44*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team...ssue-at-astana

It just doesn't get much crazier. Alberto saying one thing, Lance saying
something entirely different, and now claiming there was never any
discussion that Alberto was the team "leader."

A month ago I wouldn't have thought there to be the slightest chance
Lance could win the first time trial. But now, I just don't see him
conceding any time whatsoever to Contador. It might be best for team
unity if Leipheimer were to take the stage, and of course we're (or at
least I) acting like there's nobody else in the race. There certainly
are! The only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that it won't be
David Millar wearing yellow on Sunday.

I think if I hear the word polemics in reference to Astana's situation
just one more time I'm going to puke.

Old July 3rd 09, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jul 3, 12:44*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team...ssue-at-astana

It just doesn't get much crazier. Alberto saying one thing, Lance saying
something entirely different, and now claiming there was never any
discussion that Alberto was the team "leader."

A month ago I wouldn't have thought there to be the slightest chance
Lance could win the first time trial. But now, I just don't see him
conceding any time whatsoever to Contador. It might be best for team
unity if Leipheimer were to take the stage, and of course we're (or at
least I) acting like there's nobody else in the race. There certainly
are! The only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that it won't be
David Millar wearing yellow on Sunday.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

I think what would be best for the team would be for Sastre to win the
stage, for Contador to finish not too many seconds behind him, and
with LL and LA far enough back that there's no doubt that Contador is
the strongest, but not so far back they can't step into the leadership
role if need be.

Having said that, I don't think there's a chance in hell that's how
it'll play out.
Old July 4th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Scott" wrote in message

I think what would be best for the team would be for Sastre to win the
stage, for Contador to finish not too many seconds behind him, and
with LL and LA far enough back that there's no doubt that Contador is
the strongest, but not so far back they can't step into the leadership
role if need be.

Sastre? He couldn't get out of his own way. But I think we need to watch
Menchov closely since he has shown that he is a pretty dauntless rider among
dope-free fields.

Old July 4th 09, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Jul 3, 6:34*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

I think what would be best for the team would be for Sastre to win the
stage, for Contador to finish not too many seconds behind him, and
with LL and LA far enough back that there's no doubt that Contador is
the strongest, but not so far back they can't step into the leadership
role if need be.

Sastre? He couldn't get out of his own way. But I think we need to watch
Menchov closely since he has shown that he is a pretty dauntless rider among
dope-free fields.

Who says he was dope-free, and who says they were dope-free?
Just sayin'.
--D-y
Old July 4th 09, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jul 3, 5:34*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

I think what would be best for the team would be for Sastre to win the
stage, for Contador to finish not too many seconds behind him, and
with LL and LA far enough back that there's no doubt that Contador is
the strongest, but not so far back they can't step into the leadership
role if need be.

Sastre? He couldn't get out of his own way. But I think we need to watch
Menchov closely since he has shown that he is a pretty dauntless rider among
dope-free fields.

Hey, I said I don't think it will happen. I just would like it to
happen, so that Sastre's team has to either defend, or admit they're
not strong enough to defend.
Old July 4th 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team...ssue-at-astana

It just doesn't get much crazier. Alberto saying one thing, Lance saying
something entirely different, and now claiming there was never any
discussion that Alberto was the team "leader."

A month ago I wouldn't have thought there to be the slightest chance
Lance could win the first time trial. But now, I just don't see him
conceding any time whatsoever to Contador. It might be best for team
unity if Leipheimer were to take the stage, and of course we're (or at
least I) acting like there's nobody else in the race. There certainly
are! The only thing we can be reasonably sure of is that it won't be
David Millar wearing yellow on Sunday.

"I've asked Johan to explain that to me, because if there's
going to be a leader, then everybody should know it," he
was quoted as saying.

Totally awesome. This is going to keep getting better.

--
Michael Press
Old July 4th 09, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
billyreally

On Jul 3, 10:20*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
*"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

[...]

Or in other words, "I 3 La Vie Claire!"
Old July 4th 09, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jul 4, 1:20*am, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
*"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

[...]

I wonder how much of the contretemps is real and how much is
manufactured. Johan and Lance like head games, and an internal
struggle is ever so much more entertaining than one between teams.
Whether real or imagined, it will certainly garner Astana and all the
players even more publicity.

Old July 4th 09, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
sutartsorric

On 3 July, 19:44, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team...ssue-at-astana

A month ago I wouldn't have thought there to be the slightest chance
Lance could win the first time trial. But now, I just don't see him
conceding any time whatsoever to Contador.

Thanks for that, another person to completely ignore in future.