The Alps and high altitude

Old February 23rd 05, 12:25 AM
Antti Salonen

Default The Alps and high altitude

I'm planning a trip to the Alps in early August. The current plan is to
first spend four nights in Austria, then three in Slovenia and finally
eight in Italy. Right now it looks like the third day of riding will
already introduce a serious mountain day, as the route includes riding
the Grossglocknerstrasse from Zell am See down to Heiligenblut.

Later on, perhaps inspired by Jobst Brandt's reports and photographs, I
also intend to ride the Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo and Bernina.
We're staying the final four nights in Livigno, so these will be easily
covered from there. As some of you undoubtedly know, many of these
roads go higher than 2500 metres above sea level.

I'm a healthy young man and being both lightweight and reasonably strong
as a cyclist, so I'm not worried about the long distances or the climbs
itself. I have done the physics and with reasonable gearing I should be
fine. I've also seen most of these mountain passes from the backseat of
a car as a kid, before I picked up cycling, so I know what to expect.

However, living at sea level, I have absolutely no experience with
riding at high altitudes. Is there any reason to expect any trouble, if
do these rides at a fairly easy pace, not trying to break mine or
anybody else's climbing records? Except for the final four nights in
Livigno, we're mostly going to stay at lower altitudes.

-as
Old February 23rd 05, 01:13 AM
GaryG

"Antti Salonen" wrote in message
[...]

I live at 660 feet (200 m), and go on yearly cycling trips to Colorado. The
elevation there is routinely in excess of 6000 feet (1800). On my last trip
there, I rode to the summit of Mt. Evans (14000 feet - 4200 m).

I find that below 10000 feet (3000 m), I don't have too many problems. You
just need to remember to drink more water, and go at your own pace. You
might want to carry some aspirin in case of altitude induced headaches.

However, everyone is different and some people have problems with altitude
at even lower elevations.

To learn more about altitude induced health issues:

http://www.high-altitude-medicine.com/

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/altitude.html

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old February 23rd 05, 01:56 AM

Antti Salonen writes:

However, living at sea level, I have absolutely no experience with
riding at high altitudes. Is there any reason to expect any trouble,
if do these rides at a fairly easy pace, not trying to break mine or
anybody else's climbing records? Except for the final four nights in
Livigno, we're mostly going to stay at lower altitudes.

If you are in good physical condition before the trip you won't notice
anything unless you have something with which to compare your
performance. You won't notice that you climb more slowly at high
altitude as at low. Another reason you won't be able to tell is how
well rested you are from the day before or from other climbs earlier
in the day. It's all relative. Besides, grades like the
Grossglockner are hard to compare to other climbs because it has a
fairly continuous grade. Other passes as high as that often have
flatter stretches that make them less tiring even though the rise as
high.

Just ride bike! You'll have a ball.

Jobst Brandt

Old February 23rd 05, 04:53 AM
Rich

Antti Salonen wrote:

However, living at sea level, I have absolutely no experience with
riding at high altitudes. Is there any reason to expect any trouble,

I live in Colorado (at 5000 feet) and have had guests come and visit
from near sea level. When we go hiking in the mountains (9000-12000
feet) they typically get winded much quicker then they expect, and
usually comment on how out-of-breath they are. I think it varies by
person, but you may experience the same.

Also, there's the possibilty of getting a mild headache do to the
altitude. Taking an asperin before hiking up high is not uncommon to
ward off the headache. And be sure to drink lots of water.

Rich

P.S. I'd use meters instead of feet, but we Americans are too stubborn
to adapt.....
Old February 23rd 05, 06:59 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

However, living at sea level, I have absolutely no experience with
riding at high altitudes. Is there any reason to expect any trouble, if
do these rides at a fairly easy pace, not trying to break mine or
anybody else's climbing records? Except for the final four nights in
Livigno, we're mostly going to stay at lower altitudes.

Don't worry about it. There's nothing you can do ahead of time that will
make a difference anyway!

In general, if you start your ride from a high altitude, you may find
yourself a bit winded for a few minutes, because your mind says that *this*
is how you start out your rides, but your lungs say otherwise. Just give it
a bit of time and everything evens out. Seriously, it's often at the start
of the climb where you might feel worst, but things get better as you go.

Also, as others have mentioned, drink *lots* of water. You have to force
yourself, because most of us develop routines (in terms of how much water we
drink) that have more to do with, well, routine, than they do what we
actually need to be drinking. At higher altitudes, you're breathing faster,
and you lose water every time you exhale. Drink. And yes, that means you'll
be dealing with the rental nature of drinking, but in Europe, seeing people
taking a leak by the side of the road is the norm, not unusual. Very common
in traffic jams too (seen that one a few times, surprised me at first!).

Lastly, you'll feel much worse *off* the bike than on it. Probably because
you have a point of reference with "normal" (as in, you can normally go up a
flight of stairs without feeling like you're out of breath). But on the
bike, life is good!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 23rd 05, 07:32 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:59:21 GMT,
, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
concluded:

But on the bike, life is good!

Not only is it good, it's better!
--
zk
Old February 23rd 05, 07:48 AM

no trouble at all. You just enjoy ridinng bike on the natural path.
Don't go
too fast. Keep your own face. Drinking water. Be care on rough surface
like rock.
Enjoy the uphill climbing. Of course, enjoy the surroudnng view. I
wish
I want to go with you...

Old February 23rd 05, 09:54 PM

Antti Salonen wrote:

However, living at sea level, I have absolutely no experience with
riding at high altitudes. Is there any reason to expect any trouble, if
do these rides at a fairly easy pace, not trying to break mine or
anybody else's climbing records? Except for the final four nights in
Livigno, we're mostly going to stay at lower altitudes.

I live at 4700ft/1430m, and in my younger days used to work summers at
8000ft/2440m. I never had altitude sickness (and it is pretty rare below
10,000ft/3500m), but I did notice that for the first week or so of each
summer, I tired easily. You would probably be well advised to take it
easy early in your trip, and leave strenuous riding at altitude for the
latter part of your trip.
Apart from that, though, hey, you're a cyclist--you're fit. You'll be
fine.

Bill

|Real e-mail: , minus the letters w/ tails.|
Old February 24th 05, 06:46 PM
Booker C. Bense