Road Discs

Old October 4th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Road Discs

On 10/4/2017 1:19 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 4:10:24 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 11:41:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 9:39:02 PM UTC+2, David Scheidt wrote:
wrote:
:On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 6:50:50 PM UTC+2, Joy Beeson wrote:
: On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 07:42:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
:
: Yes glasses are a problem. That is the reason I still use contact lenses wh=
: en I going for a ride.
:
: When I can't see through my glasses, I put them into my pocket. I
: don't need to read the model of the truck, I only need to know where
: it is, how big it is, and how fast it's moving.
:
: Twice in the last fifty years I've taken shelter on the porch of a
: perfect stranger. Both times I was invited in, but declined. (The
: first time it was a whole tour group on the porch.)
:
: Once I waited on the front porch of a bank for the rain to slack off
: enough that I could see to go on. (Had a dreadful time finding a
: place to get off the road when I couldn't see through the wall of
: water!) I've waited out showers lots of times.
:
: --
: Joy Beeson
: joy beeson at comcast dot net
:
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

:Once I am on the road I never stop for a shower or the rain because that is the time you get cold. Even when you stop you get wet anyway because the roads are wet then.

If you didn't have an irrational fear of fenders, you could ride on
wet pavement.

--
sig 35

I have no fear of fenders and I do ride on wet pavement. I have a lot of fenders, even a bike with a full set of fenders bolted on. But we were talking about a high end CF road endurance bike Jay was talking about.
I can choose when to ride my high end CF bike, how long I ride, which clothes I wear, I have to wash my cycling clothes anyway, I have to shower after the ride anyway and I get wet anyway when I get caught in the rain. So a high end CF frame with no fender eyelets would suit me. YMMV.

These days, CF is not that high-end, although some rain bikes are pretty high end. This is a Portland Velo ride. http://pdxvelo.com/images/slides/slide1-1.jpg The guy with the disc has only a rear fender. The Portland Velo guys are notorious fender Nazis. https://www.flickr.com/photos/krheap...7632139896627/ (nice photo stream) Note long flaps. No flap, no soup!

-- Jay Beattie.

Man what ugly kludges. If I had to ride in your miserable climate I probably also have a nice rain bike with full fenders. This would be a dedicated bike. We have our share of rain but most of the spring and summer up till now I managed to ride 3-4 times a week without getting (too) wet. Tomorrow they predict a lot of rain so I rode this evening. First time with my light equipped road bike. Oh, man dark season is coming.....

A Cromo cross bike with disc brakes and full fenders would be
appropriate. You would not want to use a nice CF racing bike in these
conditions, fenders or not.
Old October 5th 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
:
[...]

Why not? CF is waterproof and less likely to rust than Cromo. The disc Roubaix was a great rain bike. I really liked my aluminum CAAD 9, too, but I had to kludge SKS Raceblade longs on it, which made wheel changes slow, and 25mm tires were a squeeze.

The disqualification for many modern racing bikes (of any material) is tire size. My 1969 PX10 was a great rain bike. I put fenders and a rack on it, and my girl friend used it to ride across the US. Eddy Merckx raced on a touring bike! https://tinyurl.com/y7a7t5mv Look at the clearance. You could put two pairs of fenders in there. The good news is that a lot of the newest crop of disc brake racing bikes will accommodate 28mm tires, so even if you don't use fenders, you have better footing on wet pavement.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 5th 17, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 05/10/17 01:31, AMuzi wrote:

What do you do in the rain when you pass the gate area where cows are
moved across the road to another pasture?

Close my eyes and mouth.

--
JS
Old October 5th 17, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

wrote:
:On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 4:30:59 PM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
: On 10/4/2017 1:41 AM,
wrote:
: :On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 6:50:50 PM UTC+2, Joy Beeson wrote:
: : On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 07:42:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
: :
[...]
: : --
[...]
: Lou
:
:
: What do you do in the rain when you pass the gate area where
: cows are moved across the road to another pasture?
:
: --
: Andrew Muzi
: www.yellowjersey.org/
: Open every day since 1 April, 1971

:I would ride slowly and look carefully where I ride. Although we have a lot of cows here this situation doesn't occur often.

The crossing Andrew is describing have a layer of **** (literal cow
****) from one gate to the other. The only way to avoid it is to turn
around nd take a different route. Looking carefully just means you
see the **** you're getting sprayed with due to your irrational fear
of fenders.

--
sig 37
Old October 5th 17, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/4/2017 7:21 PM, jbeattie wrote:
Eddy Merckx raced on a touring bike! https://tinyurl.com/y7a7t5mv Look at the clearance.

And somehow, somehow he was fairly fast.

The modern fashion for super-close clearance continues to baffle me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 5th 17, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
: :On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 6:50:50 PM UTC+2, Joy Beeson wrote:
: : On Tue, 3 Oct 2017 07:42:14 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
: :
[...]

I know but I also slow down to a speed the **** doesn't hit my face. This situation is so rare here that this doesn't justify bolting on fenders on all my bikes: 3 road bikes, crossbike, FS ATB, hardtail ATB, Single speed and another flatbar bike. Only my touring bike has bolt on fenders. Occasionally I clip on a rear fender on the other bikes to keep my ass dry for the first hour or so but bolt on fenders? Nah...

Lou
Old October 5th 17, 09:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 01:45:46 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/4/2017 7:21 PM, jbeattie wrote:
Eddy Merckx raced on a touring bike! https://tinyurl.com/y7a7t5mv Look at the clearance.

And somehow, somehow he was fairly fast.

The modern fashion for super-close clearance continues to baffle me.

Look at the bike he rode to the one hour record.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTFvD3qn2lM
At about 1.12 a front view is shown and there is clearance for pretty
wide tires on that bike.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 5th 17, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 10:45:48 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/4/2017 7:21 PM, jbeattie wrote:
Eddy Merckx raced on a touring bike! https://tinyurl.com/y7a7t5mv Look at the clearance.

And somehow, somehow he was fairly fast.

The modern fashion for super-close clearance continues to baffle me.

The pendulum is certainly swinging the other way with discs and direct mount brakes -- and the move to fatter tires. 25mm are pretty standard racing tires these days. I tried fitting an early 25mm Michelin "Pro" tire on a Cannondale CAAD 3, and it rubbed on the arch of the rear brake caliper. I think sizing was a little off on that tire, too -- but I would have no trouble putting that tire on a modern racing bike.

My son was telling me about 3T's new racing bike. 1X hydraulic disc UCI approved and being ridden by a pro team in next year's Tour. It is spec'd with 28mm tires. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/a...t-bikes-50852/ Slow wheel changes with through axles -- and hope nobody touches the brake lever with the disc out of the caliper.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 5th 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
:
[...]

Carbon fiber isn't affected by water. Cromo very dramatically is.

Discs on the road. The Insider has his say Simon Mason UK 0 January 10th 12 04:46 PM
Road bike with discs and fender mounts? Gooserider General 7 February 2nd 07 11:54 PM
discs vs V brakes ODB Australia 31 October 23rd 06 08:37 AM
Discs shrieking. why? Ben Mountain Biking 6 November 30th 04 11:01 PM
new to discs - squeeky when wet ! Steve Walton UK 6 November 21st 04 01:46 PM