Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

Old September 24th 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?
Orange flavor would be great but doesn't matter much, as long as it's
not any funky or excessively sweet flavor. No artificial sweeteners.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 26th 17, 09:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On 25 Sep 2017 19:03:42 GMT, Robert Latest
wrote:

Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

Yes. Half a teaspoon of table salt per liter. Add two or three of those
fizzy nutrition supplement tablets for additional minerals to taste. Just
read the ingredients on the original powder to find a long list of
benign non-reasons to buy it.

I use a potassium-based salt substitute. Cheap and it works.

Old September 26th 17, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

Yes. Half a teaspoon of table salt per liter. Add two or three of those
fizzy nutrition supplement tablets for additional minerals to taste. Just
read the ingredients on the original powder to find a long list of
benign non-reasons to buy it.

I use a potassium-based salt substitute. Cheap and it works.

Meaning it reliably prevents cramps and bonks? IOW the potassium is the
only ingredient in those drinks that a longhaul cyclist really needs? I
didn't know that but it sure would be nice.

Old September 26th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

Yes. Half a teaspoon of table salt per liter. Add two or three of those
fizzy nutrition supplement tablets for additional minerals to taste. Just
read the ingredients on the original powder to find a long list of
benign non-reasons to buy it.

I use a potassium-based salt substitute. Cheap and it works.

Meaning it reliably prevents cramps and bonks? IOW the potassium is the
only ingredient in those drinks that a longhaul cyclist really needs? I
didn't know that but it sure would be nice.

No, you bonk because you're out of glycogen and not electrolytes. Drink more beer. Take a Snickers bar. Keep up your energy so you can ride with the mountain lions. https://tinyurl.com/ya8vqq55

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 26th 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Joerg wrote:
[...]

I agree but you still have to maintain your electrolytes. Just drink a Red Bull and that will be taken care of.
Old September 26th 17, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Joerg wrote:
[...]

Hence I repurposed my old office thermos and use it to carry homemade
IPA along on some long trips in the boonies where there are no pubs. No
Snickers bars though, my wife makes homemade bars with the good stuff in
there. Lots of nuts and bacon bits, among many other things.

So far I bonked only once, way back after I started riding again.

Does anyone know this stuff?

https://www.vitamonk.com/products/fo...rolyte-formula

The price is right but unfortunately only pills. A bit low in magnesium
but I take those every day already because of back issues.

... Take a Snickers bar. Keep up your energy so you
can ride with the mountain lions. https://tinyurl.com/ya8vqq55

Cool. The only one we saw live didn't have a bike. But it took a
neighbor's dog :-(

I agree but you still have to maintain your electrolytes. Just drink
a Red Bull and that will be taken care of.

I prefer IPA :-)

Old September 26th 17, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

Yes. Half a teaspoon of table salt per liter. Add two or three of those
fizzy nutrition supplement tablets for additional minerals to taste. Just
read the ingredients on the original powder to find a long list of
benign non-reasons to buy it.

I use a potassium-based salt substitute. Cheap and it works.

I've done that for years on long and strenuous (for me) rides,
especially in the heat. I do think it helps.

But lately I've been plagued with cramps, either toward the end or hours
after such a ride. A few days ago, a nurse told me it sounded like a
potassium deficiency. I plan to try eating some high potassium foods for
a bit to see if it helps.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 17, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Joerg wrote:
[...]

Take more of that supplement?

... I plan to try eating some high potassium foods for
a bit to see if it helps.

My sister says bananas are great. But I guess not when mountain bike
riding in hot weather. Plus you'll have to pack out the peels. And then
old Silver Hoof wants my bananas.

I wonder how much potassium a body needs when riding at a slightly
elevated heart rate for 4h. Ultima Replenisher has 250mg per serving.
Seems a lot but they say it's only 7% of daily recommened. Other
electrolyte powders contain less than 100mg per serving.

Old September 26th 17, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

Joerg wrote:
[...]

You do NOT have to pack out the peels. Try it sometime and you will see.

Old September 26th 17, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Joerg wrote:
[...]

You eat the peels? In our area it is very frowned upon by rangers to
chuck them into the bush.

alternative to carradice visionset UK 6 April 28th 08 09:01 AM
electrolyte replacement OzCableguy Australia 33 March 21st 07 11:34 PM
Elete Electrolyte Water (16oz w/ two 24.6ml bottles) - $27.99 Emilio Marketplace 0 June 25th 05 09:25 PM
Would this be a good alternative to a jersey Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 16 June 17th 05 03:49 PM
peugeot 653 ultima frame? [email protected] Techniques 2 December 13th 04 04:22 PM