"DON"T BUY FROM CARBONLORD"

Old October 10th 03, 01:10 PM
andrew smith

Default "DON"T BUY FROM CARBONLORD"

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bulltek Sports" wrote:

Sadly you too fell for the lifetime warranty.

Lifetime Warranty is term used loosely. The governemnt is trying to
stop this. Even from reputable firs lifetime simply means a few
years. Not your lifetime.

It's been a longstanding practice in tightly competitive durable goods
markets. The Federal Trade Commission went after the fountain pen
industry in the 40's and 50's when the Big Four (Parker, Eversharp,
Waterman and Sheaffer) were all promosing "lifetime warranties" on
pens.

Having said that, I inherited a set of Sheaffer fountain pens from my
grandfather. Being that they were about 45 years old when I got them,
they eventually stopped working. I sent them to Sheaffer, who sent
the pens back with an apologetic letter saying they no longer had the
parts and they couldn't fix them. And they sent me two replacement
pens, too, along with recommendations of sources for repairs. Given
that the pens had outlived my grandfather, I thought that was pretty
darned good customer service. (It might not have hurt that the pens
were engraved with my grandfather's name, Walter C. Schaefer; the
founder of Sheaffer Pen Company was Walter Sheaffer).

That's pretty cool.

As I understand it, the lifetime warranty gig works like this for
irreputable companies. They offer a lifetime warranty. When their
liabilities (products under warranty) outweigh their assets, they are able
to declare "bankruptcy" of some sort. Which gives them the opportunity to
reorganize the company. Which invalidates the warranty because "the
guarantor" no longer exists.

a.

Old October 10th 03, 04:53 PM
Kristan Roberge

"Bulltek Sports" wrote:

Sadly you too fell for the lifetime warranty.

Lifetime Warranty is term used loosely. The governemnt is trying to
stop this. Even from reputable firs lifetime simply means a few
years. Not your lifetime.

They haven't gone after Ellsworth yet though and should.

As I understand it, the lifetime warranty gig works like this for
irreputable companies. They offer a lifetime warranty. When their
liabilities (products under warranty) outweigh their assets, they are able
to declare "bankruptcy" of some sort. Which gives them the opportunity to
reorganize the company. Which invalidates the warranty because "the
guarantor" no longer exists.

Ellsworth pulls this stunt where anytime their frames are shown as
underdesigned/defective,
they redesign and void the warranty issue of previous generations of that
frame by quickly
unloading all replacement parts for those frames that can't be used on the
next frames. "Oh sorry,
we don't support than version anymore, no warranty". They were still doing
that to customers as recently
as this past winter. Do a search on the mtbr forums and its a laugh. Best part
is when Tony Ellsworth
would show up and outright lie to customers online.