Are these okay? - 48cc bicycle motors

Old August 20th 05, 12:34 AM

Default Are these okay? - 48cc bicycle motors

I found an ad on ebay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/48cc-SCOOTER-KIT...QQcmdZViewItem
for a bicycle motor kit. I understand you have to pedal a couple times
from a stop, and then engage the clutch on the handle bar. (And start
it the same way, but while going faster.)

Do these work okay? Once going, will it take the bike up hill? (city
street)

There are a couple other places selling similiar kits under different
brand names.

Thanks for any comments or experiences.

Old August 20th 05, 02:30 AM
Earl Bollinger

wrote in message
oups.com...
I found an ad on ebay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/48cc-SCOOTER-KIT...QQcmdZViewItem
for a bicycle motor kit. I understand you have to pedal a couple times
from a stop, and then engage the clutch on the handle bar. (And start
it the same way, but while going faster.)

Do these work okay? Once going, will it take the bike up hill? (city
street)

There are a couple other places selling similiar kits under different
brand names.

Thanks for any comments or experiences.

Unfortunately in my opinion they all appear to be junk.
I suppose if you weigh 120 pounds or less, it might be able to get you up a
not so steep hill.
The big problem is in most areas and municipalities they instantly become a
"moped" and are required to have all the DOT approved safety equipment so
that you can ride them on the roads as a registered vehicle. So if a cop is
in the mood, you can get ticketed if caught out on one on the road.

Now then there are a few electric motor. controller and battery kits that
are fairly camaflauged so that they look like a bicycle with a trunk pack.
Those might be better, but I honestly can't tell you how powerful they are
for hill climbing though.

Old August 20th 05, 03:17 AM
Brian Wax

These kits are junk. By the time you get it fitted you could have bought a
Honda scooter that was made for the motor in it. Aside from being faulty and
unreliable, the bicycles basic geometry is not built for a motor. It is
built for a human being. Yes we see people with all kinds of stuff strapped
to a bike. That is NOT proof that it works or is safe. Seriously, a Puch
moped is built for the purpose it serves.

The bikes with motors in the bay area seem to be ridden by thrashers. In
other words this is their hobby and they tend to be gear heads. They run
expansion chambers and all kinds of hop up equipment for more speed.

If you are looking for a more serious commute vehicle than look at a DOT
approved scooter or moped.

Old August 20th 05, 04:21 PM

These kits are junk. By the time you get it fitted you could have bought a
Honda scooter that was made for the motor in it.

The cheapest scooter I've seen is a $650 chinese throw-away (it's too
expensive to fix when it wears out, so you replace it). The cheapest
true moped I've seen is $950. This is a fraction of the cost. If the
engine wore out it two years, it would be cheap to replace it. I'm
hoping to find someone who has actually ridden one to get their
comments as to how well it works.

Old August 20th 05, 04:09 PM

The big problem is in most areas and municipalities they instantly become a
"moped" and are required to have all the DOT approved safety equipment so
that you can ride them on the roads as a registered vehicle. So if a cop is
in the mood, you can get ticketed if caught out on one on the road.

I called a local DMV inspector. Anything with a moter (motor that
doesn't have an external shifter) = 50cc (or electric), that goes =
30MPH on a level serface is a moped, and the state has no regulations
that moped/scooters be DOT approved. In fact, they consider razor
scooters, mini-choppers, etc. (for kids) mopeds, and if they ride them
on the street in their neighborhood, and are under 16, they can be
given a ticket. (You have to be 16, but don't need a driver's license.)

Old August 20th 05, 06:14 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

wrote:
The big problem is in most areas and municipalities they instantly become a
"moped" and are required to have all the DOT approved safety equipment so
that you can ride them on the roads as a registered vehicle. So if a cop is
in the mood, you can get ticketed if caught out on one on the road.

I called a local DMV inspector. Anything with a moter (motor that
doesn't have an external shifter) = 50cc (or electric), that goes =
30MPH on a level serface is a moped, and the state has no regulations
that moped/scooters be DOT approved. In fact, they consider razor
scooters, mini-choppers, etc. (for kids) mopeds, and if they ride them
on the street in their neighborhood, and are under 16, they can be
given a ticket. (You have to be 16, but don't need a driver's license.)

In California you are required to have either a M1 (motorcycle) or a M2
(moped) drivers license. The requirements for a M2 license including
insurance are identical to a M1 license.

I have one of these:
http://www.bikemotor.com/mitsubishi%...%20engine.html
that I'll sell for half price to anyone who can pick it up in Yreka, CA.
Pictures at:
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove/bikes.htm
Works fine, one of the best small engines made. 150 mpg. Can climb the
steepest mountain roads with ease. Insurance requirements are ridiculous.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a
person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a
newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive there's something wrong with him."
Art Buchwald

Old August 20th 05, 06:58 AM
SoCalMike

wrote:
I found an ad on ebay -
http://cgi.ebay.com/48cc-SCOOTER-KIT...QQcmdZViewItem
for a bicycle motor kit. I understand you have to pedal a couple times
from a stop, and then engage the clutch on the handle bar. (And start
it the same way, but while going faster.)

Do these work okay? Once going, will it take the bike up hill? (city
street)

There are a couple other places selling similiar kits under different
brand names.

Thanks for any comments or experiences.

hm... no idea. seems kinda neat... looks like it runs a chain to one of
the smaller sprockets on a mtn bike, requiring either a cheap mtn bike,
10-speed, or something with a spare front chainwheel and diamond frame,
wouldnt work on my aluminum frame monoshock.

OTOH... it also looks like it will require a LOT of tinkering,
adjusting, fitting, etc to get it right. and the engine is a complete
unknown.

ive seen much simpler kits that use a KNOWN name-brand engine, like mc
collough, tecumseh, etc that mount in the rear and use a roller. any
lawnservice mechanic can get parts and work on one, since its basically
a weedwacker engine. proven durability, too. and a MUCH easier mounting
design.

if you want something simple and durable, id go this route.
Old August 20th 05, 04:14 PM

hm... no idea. seems kinda neat... looks like it runs a chain to one of
the smaller sprockets on a mtn bike, requiring either a cheap mtn bike,
10-speed, or something with a spare front chainwheel and diamond frame,
wouldnt work on my aluminum frame monoshock.

The kit comes with its own sprocket. Another site sells nearly
identical kits, and shows adding the sprocket.

OTOH... it also looks like it will require a LOT of tinkering,
adjusting, fitting, etc to get it right. and the engine is a complete
unknown.

It's 'supposed' to install easily on a bike with a 70 def V frame, with
not mods.

Old August 20th 05, 05:26 PM
dandrewk

One thing to consider - you need to be realy handy for the installation.
Don't expect too much help from the instructions. Most likely you will get
an exploded diagram and some broken english.

That said, why not go for it? If it works, you have something useful at a
fraction of the cost it would otherwise require.

oups.com...