Saddle for beginner female?

Old February 7th 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Saddle for beginner female?

I am just not understanding why you feel that choosing the right
saddle for her is YOUR responsibility? And she hasn't even ridden the
bike yet? Aren't you putting the cart a little in front of the
horse? Let her choose HER OWN saddle. Otherwise she will never
assume ownership of the decision. And you think that helping a woman
with her bike is going to allow you to "hang out [together] more
often"? Nope, sorry, it doesn't work that way! And you're NOT going
to have any fun riding with this woman because she's completely out of
shape. You will get bored as hell riding slowly enough to stay with
her, and she will get angry and resentful because you are faster than
she is. If you want to be honest about it, basing your relationship
on cycling is more likely to cause disagreements between you than it
is to improve your friendship. Let's face it, chances are that she
will stop riding completely when she finds out how out of shape she
is, and how hard it is going to be to get in shape. Most people are
afraid of "hurting" while they get in shape, and I'll bet she is one
of those. Find another woman with whom you have more in common, and
not necessarily cycling, because women are notorious for changing
their interests weekly! She'll be interested in mountain biking this
week, and something entirely different next week. Don't be afraid to
remain single; don't be so "needy" for a relationship; and let the
women seek YOU out if they are interested in you. The only kind of
woman you're going to please with your present attitude is the kind
who wants to make you do everything for her, but since women like that
will never admit their own helplessness, they will never show you any
appreciation for what you do. You don't want that.

Been there, done that, and didn't even get a tee shirt. Listen to the
voice of experience.
Old February 7th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_2_]

wrote in message
A lady friend of mine has recently taken an interest in mountain
biking. I'm excited about this, since it'll give me anther partner in
my favorite sport and give us a chance to hang out more often. She
has never had a "real" bike before, but her primary recollection of
any problems from cycling in the past has always been soreness from
the saddle.

i suggest taht she just use what she has for awhile--when she begins to
grock saddles then ask other female riders you come across and ask questions

hth

peter

Old February 7th 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Sorry, Rob, but the young guys need advice from us old farts who have
been around the block a few times, and I don't mean ONLY on a bike!

Because our modern society is extremely matriarchal and misanthropic,
young men tend to get brainwashed by the womens' lib political
correctness and live out their lives being directed by it, rather than
"marching to the beat of their own drummer" instead, and in doing so,
discovering themselves.

In addition, as we all know there is a lot of family and peer-group
pressure on young men to get into a relationship with a woman. But
the divorce rate is HUGE, and all of the married men I know are
extremely unhappy and depressed (if you can get them to drop the
"happily married" facade and really be honest) because women just
don't seem to be able to stop themselves from being domineering. All
their new power has totally gone to their heads; they delude
themselves into thinking that they can do anything a man can do, even
though they can't; and since they've tricked themselves into thinking
that a man's skills are easy, they will never give a man the respect
he deserves for using his skills. If men start realizing that they
are NOT going to make themselves happy by marrying or shacking up,
then they will start thinking more about how to be happily single.

I didn't make any unwarranted assumptions. As I said, I've been there
and done that, several times over, and I KNOW whereof I speak. If you
think I have a big agenda, then you are simply refusing to face
reality. Have a nice day.
Old February 7th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 7, 5:54 am, wrote:
I am just not understanding why you feel that choosing the right
saddle for her is YOUR responsibility? And she hasn't even ridden the
bike yet? Aren't you putting the cart a little in front of the
horse?

I don't feel it is my responsibility at all. However, being the
default "bike guy" amongst all my friends, whenever she has a question
I get an email. Whenever ANY of my friends (outside of friends I made
cycling) have a bike question, I am the default. When my PARENTS
friends have bike questions, my phone rings.

When she read that the worst complaint about this particular bike was
an uncomfortable saddle, she mentioned that the saddle was a comfort
issue for her years ago as a kid. I have no experience in woman's
saddles. I enjoy being knowledgeable about bikes. Cart in front of
the horse? Hardly.

Let her choose HER OWN saddle. Otherwise she will never
assume ownership of the decision.

She's a successful adult, firefighter and EMT. I have no concerns in
her ability to assume ownership of her decisions, she appears to do it
quite well, and has since she was a kid.

And you think that helping a woman
with her bike is going to allow you to "hang out [together] more
often"? Nope, sorry, it doesn't work that way!

Actually, as adult friends get older, life, family, mortgages, etc.
all start to get in the way of old fashioned "hanging out". Having a
common hobby seriously adds to the hang out time. I just started
climbing at the rock gym with my best friend, and guess what, we spend
more time together because of it.

And you're NOT going
to have any fun riding with this woman because she's completely out of
shape. You will get bored as hell riding slowly enough to stay with
her, and she will get angry and resentful because you are faster than
she is.

Out of shape? Jumping jesus on a pogo stick, where do you come up
with this ****? I said she doesn't ride, that's it. I didn't say a
word about the gym, field hockey, soccer, or running in and out of
burning buildings. She's in better shape than I am.

If you want to be honest about it, basing your relationship
on cycling is more likely to cause disagreements between you than it
is to improve your friendship.

How about basing our relationship on the fact that we've been good
friends since we were 10 and grew up just down the street from each
other? We actually enjoy challenges and ribbing between each other,
and have since we were playing football in our front yards as kids.
Does that have your approval, oh wise and mighty old-fart?

[...]

Again, I HAVE NO ROMANTIC INTEREST HERE. What makes you think I'm
single? What makes you think she's single? What make s you think I
like woman? What makes you think she likes men? What makes you think
I'm looking for a relationship? I'm afraid you're projecting your own
insecurities and failures onto the wrong canvas, I'm just helping a
friend get a bike fer chrystsakes.

Been there, done that, and didn't even get a tee shirt. Listen to the
voice of experience.

I am. The ones with relevant experience, which appears to be everyone
but you in this thread.
Old February 7th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Feb 7, 6:41 am, wrote:
[...]

You are hysterically arrogant and simultaneously off base. You made
nothing but unwarranted ASSumptions, you poor miserable old fool.
Old February 8th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bethw

Hopefully this will be more constructive than some of the other posts on
this thread! I've got the Terry Butterfly on both my road and mountain
bike and they have been lifesavers. I would, though, let her ride the
bike for awhile and see if she even wants/needs to change her seat. If
she rides enough, she'll figure out if she thinks another shape of seat
will feel better to her, believe me! If so, then talk to your local
bike shop to see if you can return one if it doesn't work out. I would
suggest trying REI because they have a great return policy, however they
lack in the choice of bike seats. If you're located in the Triangle
area, I have a couple of seats she can try. Neither are Terry seats,
but they may be different than the stock seat on her bike. Beth

--
bethw
bethw's Profile: http://www.trianglecycling.com/member.php?userid=547

Old February 8th 08, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole

wrote:
A lady friend of mine has recently taken an interest in mountain
biking. I'm excited about this, since it'll give me anther partner in
my favorite sport and give us a chance to hang out more often. She
has never had a "real" bike before, but her primary recollection of
any problems from cycling in the past has always been soreness from
the saddle.

I managed to find her a legit entry-level bike used for real short
money. Reading the reviews, the #1 complaint seems to be the saddle.
I don't want to recommend saddles I like, because, well, I'm not a
female.

So, any suggestions? Brooks and the like are out, this entire project
is on a super tight budget. Still, I have a feeling she'll be saddle
shopping within a couple weeks, so if I can have a little knowledge
for when she starts asking that'd be grand.

Thanks,

Dan

I swapped out a few saddles before finding one my wife was comfortable
with, it turned out to be a WTB, so I put them on both of her bikes
(road/MTB) and she's been a happy camper since. I have tried WTB saddles
myself and didn't like them much. They have a noticeable "sag" in the
middle, and I've found I much prefer saddles that are flat, front to back.

I also swapped saddles with my sister. She had a Selle Italia "Trimatic"
that she detested, I had a Brooks B17 that I didn't get along with at
all. After the swap (day after, I think), I rode a 250 mile brevet on
hers and it's been my favorite saddle since. She loves the Brooks.

Two data points, FWIW.
Old February 9th 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I just get so f'ing SICK of women and their constant litany about how
they need special equipment, special bikes, special clothes, etc. in
order to engage in cycling! Why are women cyclists so dumb that they
don't even realize that they are being taken advantage of by the
cycling companies that pander to them? God, they are SO DUMB!
Anybody who claims to have a special cycling product "FOR WOMEN" can
sell a million of them to those insecure, unaware women who think that
buying such products will actually benefit them and make them a decent
cyclist.

If the woman's ass is so soft that her present saddle hurts, she just
needs to lose weight and get in better shape. Her butt will harden up
in time. But I'll bet she won't do this, because she sounds like a
typical woman sniveler.

female behavior Duncan Techniques 2 November 27th 06 01:22 PM
female behavior Duncan Recumbent Biking 2 November 27th 06 01:22 PM
female discomfort. BungleBanks Unicycling 8 November 2nd 05 08:47 PM
female discomfort. harper Unicycling 0 November 2nd 05 12:00 AM
Since we're on the female pee pee theme... Slacker Mountain Biking 5 February 10th 04 02:08 AM