Can this be true?

Old November 7th 19, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Can this be true?

This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc brakes.
Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon fiber. Those
even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 7th 19, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 7/11/19 11:45 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc brakes.
Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon fiber. Those
even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

I guess he has diaries to back up his claim, and about his bike, we only
saw a subset.

"His beloved bikes - he now owns five; two from English company
Holdsworth, two by Rotrax and an Allin - are the pensioners only mode of
transport after he ditched his car in favour of the pedals. "

--
JS
Old November 7th 19, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 4:45:14 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc brakes.
Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon fiber. Those
even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

--
- Frank Krygowski

Wow. That's a lot of miles.
If his odometer's 0.5% high, then he still has 5,000 miles to go....if low, then he's already there, of course.

He still has a way to go to catch up with million-mile-Freddie Hoffman.
https://www.daily-journal.com/news/l...f88437fc1.html

Of course, all us rbt posters ride miles beyond measure.

pH in Aptos

Thanks for the link.
Old November 7th 19, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 6:45:14 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc brakes.
Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon fiber. Those
even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

--
- Frank Krygowski

The picture where he is using a cone wrench to tighten his pedal on the burgundy Holdsworth is a bit odd. The rings are tiny. Like he took two inner rings from a triple and made them into a double crank. The front derailleur is about 4 inches above the outer ring. How does he shift the front derailleur?

This reveals a lot about England. "Mr Mantle, who worked for the Department of Environment for 25 years until he retired at the age of 57," You can retire from a government job after only 25 years of working at only 57 years old. Bit different than in the USA.
Old November 7th 19, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 19:45:10 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc brakes.
Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon fiber. Those
even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

And his "lowest" mileage was 18,500 miles. It makes those bragging
about 4,000 miles look like pretty silly :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 7th 19, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan S. MacAbre

wrote:
[...]

Here in the UK, it is said that government workers accept a slightly
lower wage than they might get in industry; in return for a much more
generous pension. You can start to draw your pension at any age after
55; but this only makes sense if you had the good fortune to be enrolled
in a good scheme (or made your own provisions). You don't receive the
state pension until age 67. I'd suggest that the effect is to make
government workers more likely to retire earlier. Many people regard
them, on the whole, as being 'fortunate'; but it could simply be a case
of 'the grass being greener on the other side', and all that.
Old November 7th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc brakes.
Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon fiber. Those
even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

And his "lowest" mileage was 18,500 miles. It makes those bragging
about 4,000 miles look like pretty silly :-)

Actually, his recent 8,000 mile year was his lowest, due to age. It's amazing and odd all at the same time. I know nothing about this gentleman, but for some people I do know, super-high mileage can mean a rather empty life.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 7th 19, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/7/2019 10:14 AM, jbeattie wrote:
... I know nothing about this gentleman, but for some people I do know, super-high mileage can mean a rather empty life.

Similarly, I once had a colleague tell me "I don't think people should
have hobbies. They should devote their time to their jobs."

It made no sense to me; I have too many interests.

But OTOH, if you're shooting for a Nobel Prize or a MacArthur Grant,
that attitude may be necessary. And I suppose there's satisfaction in
having only one thing that matters to you, and devoting yourself to it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 7th 19, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 07/11/2019 01:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc
brakes. Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon
fiber. Those even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

Cotter pins! And it shall be, he that is taken with the accursed thing
shall be burnt with fire, he and all that he hath: because he hath
transgressed the covenant of the LORD!

Joshua 7:15. Well known cyclist was Joshua.
Old November 7th 19, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 11/7/2019 11:55 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 07/11/2019 01:45, Frank Krygowski wrote:
This is admirable. In fact, it's amazing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...million-miles/

But look at the 2nd photo! No helmet. No lycra. No STI. No disc
brakes. Toe clips instead of clipless pedals. No visible carbon
fiber. Those even look like cottered cranks!

Can it really be true?

Cotter pins!Â* And it shall be, he that is taken with the accursed thing
shall be burnt with fire, he and all that he hath: because he hath
transgressed the covenant of the LORD!

Joshua 7:15.Â* Well known cyclist was Joshua.

When I was in graduate school in the early 80s, I shared a TA office
with another grad newly arrived from Uruguay. Shortly after arrival, he
asked me for advice in buying a cheap "beater" commuting bike of the
sort everyone on campus used.

For some reason I commented on the distinction between cottered and
cotterless cranks (both were common at the time). My office mate told
me, pointing to a cotter pin, that "in Uruguay, we call that a
/chaveta/, and when someone is crazy, we say 'they have lost their
chaveta'," making hand motions of someone pedaling furiously but making
no forward progress.

Mark J.

Is this True? Sue White UK 34 December 24th 07 12:24 PM
So true! Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 4 February 2nd 06 09:49 PM
True wheel has slack spoke, doesn't stay true Tad Marko Techniques 33 December 10th 05 08:05 PM
Wheel true or not true? Ken Marcet Techniques 9 March 27th 05 06:24 PM
This is so true Carl Sundquist Racing 8 September 13th 04 03:53 AM