A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Electronic Shifting Replay



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old July 22nd 19, 07:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 502
Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 11:26:53 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
wrote:

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 11:29:03 AM UTC-5, Tom Kunich wrote:

I can't even conceive of having a root canal without Novocain.


Fun Fact: "Novocaine" (generic: procaine) has not been used in dentistry for about 20-30 years. It is available in vials and ampules (used in medicine), but AFAIK it is not available in dental cartridges. The reasons are that procaine was not a particularly effective anesthetic (though better than nothing), and that allergies to it were common.
Current anesthetic used in dentistry include lidocaine, mepivacaine, prilocaine, bupivacaine and articaine. You can guess the identity of the prototype local anesthetic from the last syllable of all these... cocaine!
A particular pet peeve of mine is dentists using "Novocaine" as a synonym for "local anesthetic" because they think the patient understands it. If someone has an adverse reaction to, say, lidocaine but thinks it's Novocaine, they may tell me they have an allergy to Novocaine. This would not bother me, as I know that's not the anesthetic I'm using. Then I'd proceed to give an injection of lidocaine and have to deal with the consequences.


Given the first time I can remember having any serious dental work
done that required any form of anesthetic was the surgical extraction
of wisdom teeth which was probably 65 years ago and I've always called
it "Novocain" :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Ads
  #52  
Old July 23rd 19, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 4:22:14 PM UTC-7, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 5:21:11 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Does the average dental patient have any idea what a "endodontist"
is?

Many don't. Ideally, a dentist would identify a case beyond his/her level of competence and refer to the specialist. I teach dental students how to treat, but also how to decide when to refer. Some dentists like to keep it "in house"...

Yeah, my spell checker doesn't recognize "endodontist" either. https://www.aae.org/patients/


Seems like the New Age dentistry is all about specialists. I've been referred to X-ray specialists, whatever you call a guy that sets an implant and endodontists who even look crooked at my tooth and I have to get pain killers.

And yet the dentist I have that refers me to every other person under the sun has her own facing, cap and implant making machine.
  #53  
Old July 23rd 19, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,560
Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 3:28:24 AM UTC+1, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

I've had root canal. I would certainly wish it on my enemies, if I had any/


Heh...I do about 30% of my cases without anesthesia, conditions permitting, and no one is suffering. Occasionally I see a case where comfort control is difficult, but these are rare.


Yesterday, as it happens, I visited my dentist, and asked him if he knows what an endodontist is. He did; it's a tooth root specialist. He was amazed that the word isn't in the dictionary (if what is reported on this forum is true -- I haven't actually checked).

Andre Jute
We will hunt the neologism-mongers in the streets and across the fields and through skies; we will never give up. -- Something else Winston Churchill never said
  #54  
Old July 23rd 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 132
Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 18:59:34 -0700 (PDT),
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 3:28:24 AM UTC+1, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

I've had root canal. I would certainly wish it on my
enemies, if I had any/


Heh...I do about 30% of my cases without anesthesia,
conditions permitting, and no one is suffering. Occasionally I
see a case where comfort control is difficult, but these are
rare.


Yesterday, as it happens, I visited my dentist, and asked him
if he knows what an endodontist is. He did; it's a tooth root
specialist. He was amazed that the word isn't in the dictionary
(if what is reported on this forum is true -- I haven't
actually checked).


Did you know that "gullible" is not in the dictionary?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endodontist


We will hunt the neologism-mongers in the streets and across
the fields and through skies; we will never give up. --
Something else Winston Churchill never said


Very cute.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
  #55  
Old July 23rd 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,560
Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 3:06:02 PM UTC+1, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 18:59:34 -0700 (PDT),
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 3:28:24 AM UTC+1, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

I've had root canal. I would certainly wish it on my
enemies, if I had any/

Heh...I do about 30% of my cases without anesthesia,
conditions permitting, and no one is suffering. Occasionally I
see a case where comfort control is difficult, but these are
rare.


Yesterday, as it happens, I visited my dentist, and asked him
if he knows what an endodontist is. He did; it's a tooth root
specialist. He was amazed that the word isn't in the dictionary
(if what is reported on this forum is true -- I haven't
actually checked).


Did you know that "gullible" is not in the dictionary?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/endodontist


We will hunt the neologism-mongers in the streets and across
the fields and through skies; we will never give up. --
Something else Winston Churchill never said


Very cute.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA


I try not to be unduly influenced by the current political climate of fact-checking everything in the hope of distorting something, anything, to embarrass someone. We have too much of that crap on this forum already from Kreepy Krygowski, Slow Johnny, the worthless thief Peter Howard, the plain stupid Rideablot, the wannabe-slippery pol Scharfie, etc.

By contrast, I'm happy to believe anyone, including that scum, until they prove themselves unreliable. There's a difference between gullibility, skepticism and the plain rude and ungentlemanly inclination to contradict everything said by those one doesn't like; it's the surest sign of an immature mind, or, of course, no mind at all.

Andre Jute
It's impossible to have a rational conversation with a person who reacts out of fear
  #56  
Old July 25th 19, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,442
Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 19:57:36 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I don't recall any pain. But I do remember telling the guy, when the procedure
was over, "I bet almost nobody gets a root canal just for fun." He agreed.


After my first root canal, the dentist told me that if he'd known how
much I'd enjoy it, he would have set up a camera and made a video to
show his worried patients.

I didn't remember a thing.

I don't think I ever got gas again. My next major tooth repair was a
different dentist in a different state.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

  #57  
Old July 25th 19, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,188
Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 11:43:25 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
wrote:

Check out the new technology my department just acquired: https://sonendo.com/
I'm still learning how to use it, but it seems promising. Beaucoup bucks to buy, though!
Sorry... didn't mean to hijack the thread!


It's difficult for me to resist additional topic drift. It appears
that the GentleWave system is version of what Dr Jacklich did in 1972.
See the 4th paragraph in the section titled "Introduction":
https://triz-journal.com/applying-triz-endodontic-tool-design/
It's probably a more complexicated instrument that the original. I
don't recall because I wasn't involved in 1972. I took care of Dr
Jack's computers from about 1982 until he moved to Florida in 2003(?).
Of course, I became involved with most of his inventions. I know
nothing about endodontics or dentistry, but I know mechanical design,
machine tools, fabrication methods, metallurgy, and how to throw
something together that sorta works until there is time and money to
do it correctly. The old web site is still up, although much is
missing and everything seems thoroughly out of date:
http://www.betterendo.com
http://www.betterendo.com/SPI/
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4674979A/en
You might find the handpieces, syringes, and drills of interest. Best
of luck with the teaching.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  #58  
Old July 26th 19, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 47
Default Electronic Shifting Replay

On Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:53:03 AM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

It's difficult for me to resist additional topic drift. It appears
that the GentleWave system is version of what Dr Jacklich did in 1972.


Thanks for that link, Jeff. Interesting stuff! I actually have a Giromatic handpiece, which has a symmetrical (equal back-and-forth) reciprocation action. These days the reciprocation (if employed) is "asymmetric", with greater rotation in the "forward" direction. I've also used the "washed field" technique, though with a handpiece that vibrates at a "sonic" frequency.
The "Gentle Wave" device operates at multiple frequencies ranging from sonic to ultrasonic in a sealed environment under a slight negative pressure. The various solutions that are flowed through the tooth are "de-gassed" to prevent the formation of bubbles which would reduce the efficiency of the process. I don't know to what extent this current technology is derived from earlier devices, but it wouldn't surprise me to find an evolutionary trail. A lot of what we think of as "modern" endodontic technology can be traced back a hundred years or more. See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xpOaAPMbxw
Steve
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electronic Shifting Tom Kunich[_5_] Techniques 75 July 17th 19 03:53 PM
Shimano Electronic shifting Justin[_3_] UK 8 March 19th 12 02:18 AM
Shimano electronic shifting keithv General 133 February 5th 09 05:47 AM
Electronic shifting system [email protected] Techniques 151 September 1st 07 07:47 AM
Electronic Shifting [email protected] Racing 52 March 18th 06 10:06 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.