Look Cleats and Noise

Old October 14th 19, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Look Cleats and Noise

I was having some pretty bad noise that I finally realized was coming from the Look Keo cleats. I tightened them all the way up (again) and all it did was to change where in the pedal stroke it occurred.

This is irritating since the Arc cleats didn't do this but the Keo cleats have a different shape into which it is easier to step into (using the Classic pedals - the Blades are absolutely horrible to get into because they don't rotate to the correct position. In fact, they don't rotate at all because they are so light that they cannot overcome the friction of the bearing seals.)

When you are one a hard climb on a quiet road they can drive you batty.
Old October 14th 19, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 11:26:40 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
I was having some pretty bad noise that I finally realized was coming from the Look Keo cleats. I tightened them all the way up (again) and all it did was to change where in the pedal stroke it occurred.

This is irritating since the Arc cleats didn't do this but the Keo cleats have a different shape into which it is easier to step into (using the Classic pedals - the Blades are absolutely horrible to get into because they don't rotate to the correct position. In fact, they don't rotate at all because they are so light that they cannot overcome the friction of the bearing seals.)

When you are one a hard climb on a quiet road they can drive you batty.

All Look cleats were capable of squeaking. I use a little Armor All or a little TriFlo which helps. IME, Look Keo grip cleats are more prone to squeaking because of the rubber pads. Those pads also impeded entry. I avoid the grip cleats or rip off the pads. It's not like I'm going hiking in my cleats, and if I anticipate being off my bike and walking, I bring my cleat covers.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 14th 19, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Following the advice from you and others, I sprayed my pedals with some
light silicon and it solved the problem for quite some time.

I had the grip cleats and switched to the ones without grips. They worked
fine for a while but they eventually started creaking as well. So I did
the silicon spray and that worked.

My feeling is that is actually dirt or dust causing this and the silicon is
just blowing them clean.

This is assuming Tom is referring to creaking and not something else like a
clicking BB.

Old October 16th 19, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 12:12:13 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Using those damn Blades they knock the rubber pads off of the cleats in short order. I always carry the cleat covers especially since I've had to walk several miles after getting unfixable flats.

I'll try the Armor All. TriFlo didn't seem to do anything except make it difficult to get the damn Blade to remain in the proper angle to step into.
Old October 16th 19, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, October 14, 2019 at 1:34:18 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

It must be the cleat. It changed noises after I tightened them up more. But it won't go away.
Old October 16th 19, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 4:08:36 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

It's not just the Blades. I was having trouble getting into some standard Max pedals the other day, and it was because the rubber bumper at the nose of the cleat had rolled up into a ball. Those bumpers are useless.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 16th 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 6:09:04 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Mine simply fell off after being struck on the pedal so often. I do not have a "step in" problem with the Keo Classic but those Blades are a real pain in the butt.

Tax By Noise Bret Cahill UK 6 July 2nd 17 11:17 AM
Are SM-SH24 Shimano cleats the right cleats 4 Shimano 600 pedals & toeclips? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 12 April 11th 14 08:59 PM
Difference between Speedplay X cleats and slimline cleats? [email protected] Techniques 3 February 16th 07 01:03 AM
Another odd noise Lee UK 16 March 22nd 04 09:20 AM
Noise help Richard Jones Australia 3 January 27th 04 12:00 AM