A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old August 21st 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,567
Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On Sun, 20 Aug 2017 17:18:30 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 8/20/2017 8:14 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 7:36:55 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-18 19:17, sms wrote:

[...]


The People's Republic of Berkeley did something really smart, they base
parcel taxes on square feet, not parcels. So a 100 unit apartment
building doesn't get away with paying one parcel tax while a 100 unit
condo complex pays 100 parcel taxes. That change to the the tax system
passed 88% to 12%.


So how much did that increase the affordability of apartments?


I was talking to a CPA yesterday, and she was explaining what is really
wrong with California when it comes to small businesses. It's how
expensive it is to operate as an LLC, and the dual taxation you're
subjected to. The purpose of an LLC is to put a wall between the
businesses assets and the business owner's personal assets. But the cost
of operating as an LLC is so high in California that she advises people
to just operate as a sole proprietorship and to buy a very large
umbrella insurance policy to protect their personal assets, because the
umbrella policy will cost a lot less than paying taxes as an LLC. Jay
would know more about this than I do!


That is exactly what people here are doing :-)

Others go a step further, packing it up and moving the business out of
state. Or they lose out against out of state businesses in the
marketplace. This also evidences itself in where my clients are. A
decade ago most were in California. Now most are in the Houston area.


Wouldn't you think that taxation of rental properties would be better tied to rents rather than property values?


That's fine too.

When I've written the local paper that the business atmosphere is driving business out of California the responses are that business growth in California has never been higher. Yet even Elon Musk built his battery plant in Nevada.


The responses are logical. A single example of a manufacturer building a
factory in another state is not evidence of anything. Nevada is giving
$1.3 billion to Tesla in return for the factory locating there.

Unlike the Tesla automobile factory, which is benefiting other local
businesses, suppliers and service providers (hard to find a machine shop
to do small jobs anymore in Fremont), the battery factory will not
create many jobs from suppliers and service providers. Nevada is
estimated to lose $183,000 per job that is created.


On the other hand, a concerted drive by the southern states in the
U.S. after WW II to attract industries by offering tax rebates, lower
cost of living and thus lower labour costs and right to work laws thus
limiting Union power, did result in northern industries moving to
other states. The first Toyota plant was built in Georgetown,
Kentucky, not Detroit.

If Nevada continues to offer reductions in industrial costs it will
attract more and more business. Which may or may not come from
California.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Ads
  #122  
Old August 21st 17, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,627
Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-20 17:11, sms wrote:
On 8/20/2017 7:26 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-19 20:47, sms wrote:
On 8/19/2017 7:37 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-18 19:17, sms wrote:

[...]


The People's Republic of Berkeley did something really smart, they
base
parcel taxes on square feet, not parcels. So a 100 unit apartment
building doesn't get away with paying one parcel tax while a 100 unit
condo complex pays 100 parcel taxes. That change to the the tax system
passed 88% to 12%.


So how much did that increase the affordability of apartments?

It neither increased nor decreased the affordability, since rental costs
are based on what the market will bear, not the costs to the property
owner.


Exactly, and when a parcel tax or whatever other tax is increased it
is simply passed on to the renters - rents go up.


No, that's not the way it works. It's what the market will bear, not
what it costs the property owner. A property owner that paid $1 million
for an apartment building charges the same rent as an owner of an
identical building that paid $5 million. One just makes more money.

But it's immaterial. Apartment building owners and residents should not
be subsidized by owners of single family homes or condos, which is the
way it is now. Apartment building owners want it both ways--they don't
want to pay their fair share of property taxes or parcel taxes, and they
also don't want rent control. In other words, they're fine with lobbying
the government to subsidize their businesses, but not with the
government limiting how much they can charge for their product.


I agree, that is indeed not right.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
  #123  
Old August 21st 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,627
Default Stress Analysis in the Design of Bicycle Infrastructure

On 2017-08-20 09:34, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, August 20, 2017 at 8:14:53 AM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 7:36:55 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-08-18 19:17, sms wrote:


[...]


I was talking to a CPA yesterday, and she was explaining what
is really wrong with California when it comes to small
businesses. It's how expensive it is to operate as an LLC, and
the dual taxation you're subjected to. The purpose of an LLC is
to put a wall between the businesses assets and the business
owner's personal assets. But the cost of operating as an LLC is
so high in California that she advises people to just operate
as a sole proprietorship and to buy a very large umbrella
insurance policy to protect their personal assets, because the
umbrella policy will cost a lot less than paying taxes as an
LLC. Jay would know more about this than I do!


That is exactly what people here are doing :-)

Others go a step further, packing it up and moving the business
out of state. Or they lose out against out of state businesses in
the marketplace. This also evidences itself in where my clients
are. A decade ago most were in California. Now most are in the
Houston area.


Wouldn't you think that taxation of rental properties would be
better tied to rents rather than property values?

When I've written the local paper that the business atmosphere is
driving business out of California the responses are that business
growth in California has never been higher. Yet even Elon Musk
built his battery plant in Nevada.



All we usually get in inflow is service-type business like it happened
much in the UK. That doesn't sustain real produced value, let alone export.


Property taxes are tied to rents in a way because property values for
multi-family are based on return. The value is rent-driven. A
beautiful building in a depressed rental market is worth less than a
falling-down slum in the Bay Area.


In California it is different. Property tax depends on the amount of
money the owner paid for the property, plus 2% increase every year from
then on. Until the property changes hands upon which the then paid
purchase prices becomes the determining factor.


Building a battery plant in Nevada makes sense. What's a little
heavy metal in the groundwater in a place where they were lighting
off nukes? Actually, apart from the regulatory landscape, its easier
preventing pollution in a desert because there are not the same
groundwater concerns, and dirt is cheap.

California has made a decision not to attract dirty businesses. Some
of these businesses, like coal export (a big issue around here) also
involve unpredictable markets and employers who come and go and leave
a big mess.


We also have "non-dirty" business leaving.

http://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/201...ng-california/

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bicycle Light Theft & Bicycle Parking Infrastructure sms Techniques 18 March 11th 17 12:51 AM
Bicycle Infrastructure and Safety: Death in PDX Jay Beattie Techniques 20 May 26th 12 02:30 AM
Cycle Infrastructure Design Paul Luton[_2_] UK 15 November 2nd 08 07:29 PM
Sprocket design and analysis bicycle_disciple Techniques 3 October 2nd 06 04:57 PM
How2 design ergo handle and stress on the arm/elbow teachndad Unicycling 7 November 22nd 04 10:19 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.