looking for a bike

Old April 29th 10, 12:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default looking for a bike

Thanks for all the tips so far. Sorry I can't respond fully right now,
I'm doing 12 hour night shifts. I'll follow every one up when I return
to the real world.

Peter
Old April 29th 10, 02:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

On 29/04/2010 1:19 AM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 28/04/2010 8:03 PM, Patrick Keogh wrote:
On 28/04/2010 12:22 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 27/04/2010 1:43 PM, Peter wrote:

Europa Cycles have been making their own bicycles (up in Queensland, I
am told) for quite some years now. I recall owning one of their road
bikes years ago but, alas, lost it when I was moving around different
houses.

John is now advanced in his years and has several ailments. I am not
sure what will happen to Europa Cycles when he is no longer there. I
hope the business continues as I like to think it is one of the cycling
icons of Sydney, like Jack Walsh Cycles in Punchbowl was.

http://www.europacycles.com.au

Agreed. In 1976 John built custom Reynolds 531 framed bikes that my wife
and I rode on our honeymoon. Mine is still going (it is my fixie). A
lovely bike.

Wow! That is a long time ago. Do you still drop in at Europa Bikes?

A long time ago! It wasn't even my first bike! I don't know what you are
on about ;-)

No, haven't been there in many years.
Old April 29th 10, 03:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 29/04/2010 11:15 PM, Patrick Keogh wrote:
[...]

Sorry I wasn't implying anything, *ahem* "young man" Please
forgive me

No, haven't been there in many years.

I dropped in there today to pickup a coupla of inner tubes for my road
bike and a hand pump with a Presta fitting.

John, obviously, did not remember the honeymooning couple but he sure
remembered the Reynolds 531 frame and I have learnt that Reynolds
supplied the tubes for the frame. He was a bit busy so I didn't have a
chance to ask him what the significance of the Reynolds 531 tubes were,
as in, were they lighter? were they stronger? did they hold a weld
better? what was the composition of the metal? etc. Maybe you could
expand a bit more on the Reynolds tubing briefly? Please?

One other thing, John did crack a smile and was curious to know if you
were still a couple. He also seem very pleased that the bike is still
going strong.
Old April 30th 10, 04:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
20cents

In article m.au,
(Peter) wrote:

Steve Ball wrote:

Peter:

I'm in the market for a new or second hand bike for my wife. She's about
5'6" tall so probably needs something with a frame size of about 50cm
(20"). Steel or aluminium is fine. It would need rack mounts for
touring/commuting. I'm thinking of spending up to about $1500.

Any ideas on what to get and good places to buy in Australia or
overseas? The local market here is fairly limited so I don't mind
travelling to east coast capitals or coastal cities in Queensland.

Have a look he

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/

I've heard a couple of good stories and nothing bad.

Thanks Steve
I was on a ride last night and one of the women had a Cell bike. She
seemed pretty impressed. I've sent them an email to see whether there is
anything like what I want available. I had a look at Jensen in the USA
too. I could get a Surly Long Haul Trucker from them for about $1500
using priceusa.com.au as an intermediary (because Jensen is not allowed
to ship Surlys direct to Australia). The cost landed in Australia is
about $2300.

Peter

Peter,
I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker and it is a wonderful tourer but is
fairly heavy (ChroMo 4130). The LHT in small sizes has 26" wheels. The
Surly Cross Check is less tourer (shorter chainstays) and more commuter
but would be worthy of consideration as a good allrounder but, I think,
has 700c wheels.

I am also a fan of Kona bikes. They have a good range at a reasonable
price. I know CBD Cycles (Kent St, Sydney) has a few in stock.

Kathy's approach of Trek and Giant choices for road and off-road would
be the way I would go if your wife is not already an enthusiastic
cyclist (and then second-hand if possible).

If I had to have one bike only then it would probably be a flat-bar
cyclocross type, preferably with 26" wheels so that you could swap
between knobblies and slicks.

regards,
20cents
Old May 2nd 10, 12:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

John, obviously, did not remember the honeymooning couple but he sure
remembered the Reynolds 531 frame and I have learnt that Reynolds
supplied the tubes for the frame. He was a bit busy so I didn't have a
chance to ask him what the significance of the Reynolds 531 tubes were,
as in, were they lighter? were they stronger? did they hold a weld
better? what was the composition of the metal? etc. Maybe you could
expand a bit more on the Reynolds tubing briefly? Please?

One other thing, John did crack a smile and was curious to know if you
were still a couple. He also seem very pleased that the bike is still
going strong.

Reynolds were one of the first makers of cold drawn butted tubing.
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_Cycle_Technology for some
details. For nigh on thirty years "Reynolds 531 double butted" was the
benchmark in cycle frame tubing. The 531 alloy was a
manganese-molybdenum, medium carbon steel.

If you are in there again tell him that indeed we are still married,
with three adult children.
Old May 2nd 10, 12:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

John, obviously, did not remember the honeymooning couple but he sure
remembered the Reynolds 531 frame and I have learnt that Reynolds
supplied the tubes for the frame. He was a bit busy so I didn't have a
chance to ask him what the significance of the Reynolds 531 tubes were,
as in, were they lighter? were they stronger? did they hold a weld
better? what was the composition of the metal? etc. Maybe you could
expand a bit more on the Reynolds tubing briefly? Please?

One other thing, John did crack a smile and was curious to know if you
were still a couple. He also seem very pleased that the bike is still
going strong.

Geoff,

Please send me your email address. Mine is correct.
Old May 2nd 10, 01:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

Agreed. In 1976 John built custom Reynolds 531 framed bikes that my wife
and I rode on our honeymoon. Mine is still going (it is my fixie). A
lovely bike.

If anyone is interested you can see the bike in current form at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick...7619089068658/

Original frame and forks (top tube was replaced after an accident in
around 1978).
Original DuraAce cranks, brakes, levers, bottom bracket.
Original SR stem and bars.
Original Campag headset.

Newer pedals, saddle, bidon holder, wheels and chain, brake hoods, paint
and decals (replica of originals).
Old May 2nd 10, 03:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 2/05/2010 9:32 PM, Patrick Keogh wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the wikipedia link. I should have thought of it myself as
there was an entry for teh Reynolds 531 tuning after all. Silly of me
not to have checked myself.

Your link was quite interesting and contained information which I would
not otherwise have really thought of at this point in time.

If you are in there again tell him that indeed we are still married,
with three adult children.

I will indeed. I am probably seeing him tomorrow (depending on when I
finish a small job over at Greenacre).
Old May 2nd 10, 03:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 2/05/2010 10:07 PM, Patrick Keogh wrote:

Agreed. In 1976 John built custom Reynolds 531 framed bikes that my wife
and I rode on our honeymoon. Mine is still going (it is my fixie). A
lovely bike.

If anyone is interested you can see the bike in current form at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick...7619089068658/

Original frame and forks (top tube was replaced after an accident in
around 1978).
Original DuraAce cranks, brakes, levers, bottom bracket.
Original SR stem and bars.
Original Campag headset.

Newer pedals, saddle, bidon holder, wheels and chain, brake hoods, paint
and decals (replica of originals).

Looks very very schmick. You have looked after it well.