Rolling Hop vs. SIF Sidehop

Old July 24th 04, 05:03 AM
vivalargo

Default Rolling Hop vs. SIF Sidehop

As a side note, measuring hops without carrying a yardstick around is
really a crapshoot, so I noticed the top of the decal on my KH Muni is
at 20" and can gauge pretty accurately from there. On my trials rig I
can just gauge it off the 20" tire.

Measuring like this is helpful sometimes, though at other times you
might try and break your old record if you don't know the exact heigth,
which may otherwise psyche you out.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

Old October 4th 04, 03:14 PM
unicyclistjoe

just to throw in a random angle on this...i do my sidehops seat in (my
SiF hops feel really uncontrolled) and today i managed to clear 65cm,
although i know eventually i will have to turn to SiF to get higher,
does anyone know what the highest seat in sidehop is? i'd be interested
to know how far it has been taken. i do prefer rolling hops, but my
sidehops are now dead even with my rolling hops...

--
unicyclistjoe - NZ's 2nd Best Trials Unicyclist

Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

Old October 5th 04, 03:34 AM
gerblefranklin

Mike Middleton has landed a seat in sidehop artound 24", but it was a
long time ago. Eric (Mango) seems able to do over 2' seat in.

As for SIF rolling hops, I find that my seat holding arm is seriously
jerked during the hop, but I seem to have more potential for pike and
lift when I'm seat out rolling hopping. I've only spent about an hour of
my entire riding carreer practicing these moves, yet I've landed SIF
rolling hops of about 26", while my straight rolliung hop record is
about 32.5". Ryan Atkins did a 32+" rolling hop SIF onto a picnic table
at CMW.

Vivalgro: That's exactly how I measure my hops when I don't have a
measuring tape and desperately want to know the height. My seat clamp is
about 26". My seat is about 35 or 36". My seatpost has a scratch on it
that's about 30". These are helpful but aren't ver accurate at all.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
out?

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

Old October 5th 04, 04:32 AM
pete66

gerblefranklin wrote:
*Mike Middleton has landed a seat in sidehop artound 24", but it was a
long time ago. Eric (Mango) seems able to do over 2' seat in.*

There you go Joe, perhaps you have the NEW WORLD RECORD in seat in side
hops? 65cm = over 2ft

--
pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Old October 8th 04, 04:48 PM
danger_uni

onetrack wrote:
*

I am straying from the topic a little bit, but it seems like we are
slowly but surely catching up to bike trials records. Does anyone know
what the bike sidehop record is? last I heard, it was like 110cm or
something like that.

mike *

Bike trials riders are WAY ahead of unicyclists for sidehops and it will
likely remain that way due to the much better mechanical advantage they
have (although it would be great to prove this wrong...).

However, one sole consolation is that the pioneering biketrials rider Ot
Pi held the world biketrials sidehop record for a long time, at 90cm.
This stood officially (although was broken unofficially long before)
until the late 1990's. At least we have caught up to that, anyway.

Kris Holm.

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

Old October 8th 04, 11:10 PM
TheObieOne3226

danger_uni wrote:
*

Bike trials riders are WAY ahead of unicyclists for sidehops and it
will likely remain that way due to the much better mechanical
advantage they have (although it would be great to prove this
wrong...).

However, one sole consolation is that the pioneering biketrials rider
Ot Pi held the world biketrials sidehop record for a long time, at
90cm. This stood officially (although was broken unofficially long
before) until the late 1990's. At least we have caught up to that,
anyway.

Kris Holm. *

Maybe you guys are hitting that same wall.....maybe theres some
undiscovered technique that will give us those huge hieghts. I don't
think we'll catch up, but it's nice to see we've made so much progress
in, what, 5 years?

--
TheObieOne3226 - Judge me by my size, do you?

[image: http://img54.exs.cx/img54/4743/yodaweedresize.jpg]
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT
singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com