human powered nuns?

Old March 27th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default human powered nuns?

Today's New York Times had a front page "spring is here" photo of two nuns
(in full habit) roller skating down the Hudson River Greenway. No story,
just the picture.

I've seen nuns of this order (grey and white long habits) frequently
between 57th & 7th and the Hudson River, on bikes or skates, mostly bikes.
I always thought it was odd; most nuns don't wear the full get-up anymore
unless they're cloistered, in which case they're not outside. I'm guessing
they go to local places and do some ministry and go back, and HPV is the
most economical solution. Also, traveling in their class-A's might be a
statement about their order's position on that "what would Jesus drive"
question from a few years ago.

Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

--ag
Old March 27th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

No, I don't. Nuns used to roll me when I was in Elementary School. In
addition, they would go by and clip my ears with their fingers - OUCH!
You know - the same way you'd flick a dead fly off a countertop. To
this day, I didn't think that was very Christianlike. Never mind that
I was cutting farts, and making fun of the girls.

None of these nuns (None nuns?) ever rode a bicycle that I can
remember. The cyclist nuns that you saw are probably really cool, and
wouldn't clip any kid's ear.
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

Old March 28th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 11:02:34 -0600, andy gee
wrote:

Today's New York Times had a front page "spring is here" photo of two nuns
(in full habit) roller skating down the Hudson River Greenway. No story,
just the picture.

I've seen nuns of this order (grey and white long habits) frequently
between 57th & 7th and the Hudson River, on bikes or skates, mostly bikes.
I always thought it was odd; most nuns don't wear the full get-up anymore
unless they're cloistered, in which case they're not outside. I'm guessing
they go to local places and do some ministry and go back, and HPV is the
most economical solution. Also, traveling in their class-A's might be a
statement about their order's position on that "what would Jesus drive"
question from a few years ago.

Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

So the young nun says to the old nun, "thanks for showing me this shortcut, I've
never come this way before."

"It's the cobblestones, my dear."

Ron
Old March 28th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

It's OK to ask. If you do, let us know. Don't worry about getting clipped
on the ear like oilfreeandhappy. He had it coming to him for the farts and
wisecracks.

Max

7.142...

Old March 28th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

RonSonic wrote in
:

"It's the cobblestones, my dear."

That was hysterical; I needed a good laugh today. This greenway is
actually trimmed with faux cobbles and many of the aproach streets have the
real meat-cart, printer-hauling, etc original cobbles. Much to the
surprise of novices exiting the greenway in a hurry.

--ag
Old March 29th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:07:29 -0600, andy gee
wrote:

RonSonic wrote in
:

"It's the cobblestones, my dear."

That was hysterical; I needed a good laugh today. This greenway is
actually trimmed with faux cobbles and many of the aproach streets have the
real meat-cart, printer-hauling, etc original cobbles. Much to the
surprise of novices exiting the greenway in a hurry.

Um huhhhh.

Ron
Old March 29th 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

[...]

There was a young nun from Hoboken
Who claimed that ("Enough!" - Ed)

It would appear apparent, to me at least, that dinosaurs were largely
burrowing creatures.
Old April 2nd 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article 2,
andy gee writes:

Anyone know anything about the rolling nuns?

Holy Rollers.

cheers,
Tom

--