Actual Tech: More Tool Standards

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25th 16, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Actual Tech: More Tool Standards

Old news to some, but when I decided to put a new Ultegra bottom bracket in my commuter bike last night -- which was a mere $15 on sale at Western Bikeworks -- I was surprised to find that my shop tool didn't fit. There is now a different diameter tool needed for DA, Ultegra and 105. The BB ships with a plastic adapter so I could use my old tool, and unlike some, I found it perfectly adequate to get the torque I needed, but really . . . I should now buy a tool that costs more than the BB? https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...m-bracket-tool I already have about a zillion outdated BB tools (Octalink, Isis, square drive, Phil, weird TruVativ, etc., etc.). I should start a museum.

I also got an incredible deal on a 105 compact crank to save my dying knees.. That was a super snug fit, and I had to give it a pretty good whack to seat it. I regret not buying Ultegra since the 105 is a little cheesy with a steel inner ring, and it is heavy. Oh well. I saved a bunch of money. Shortened the chain and dropped the derailleur, threw on some newer pedals that I retrieved form my son -- and voila, the same old boat with a new crank.

I just repacked the rear hub and removed and cleaned the freehub body, and now that sounds like a truck barreling down the road. I need to do some more lubing on the freehub body bearings. Any idea for lubricant? I don't have one of those freehub buddy things and was going to use 30W or something like it.

-- Jay Beattie.