No bearing = no bearing problems

Old September 5th 19, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default No bearing = no bearing problems

https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/04/can...r-neo-bearing/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 5th 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 6:05:37 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/04/can...r-neo-bearing/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

There are bearings, but they're encased in magical plastic stuff. I was thinking someone came up with a bushing BB.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 5th 19, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:
:On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 6:05:37 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
: https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/04/can...r-neo-bearing/
:
: --
: Andrew Muzi
: www.yellowjersey.org/
: Open every day since 1 April, 1971

:There are bearings, but they're encased in magical plastic stuff. I was thinking someone came up with a bushing BB.

They're not unheard of on crap kids toys.

--
sig 118
Old September 5th 19, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

David Scheidt wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

:There are bearings, but they're encased in magical plastic stuff. I was thinking someone came up with a bushing BB.

They're not unheard of on crap kids toys.

Plain bearings are also used in expensive pedals. I guess a plain bearing beats a rotten rumbly ball bearing in that instance.
Old September 5th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 05/09/2019 15:05, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/04/can...r-neo-bearing/

Hellbender bottom bracket isn’t afraid of water

So the previous one was?

Old September 5th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Chalo wrote:
avid Scheidt wrote:
:
: jbeattie wrote:
:
: :There are bearings, but they're encased in magical plastic stuff. I was thinking someone came up with a bushing BB.
:
: They're not unheard of on crap kids toys.

:Plain bearings are also used in expensive pedals. I guess a plain bearing beats a rotten rumbly ball bearing in that instance.

I have not noticed that quality and price are well correlated in the
pedal market.

--
This is a randomly numbered sig.
Old September 5th 19, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

David Scheidt wrote:

I have not noticed that quality and price are well correlated in the
pedal market.

That's true. However, it seems that cheap (sub-$30 retail) pedals use loose ball, notionally adjustable bearings, and only the more expensive pedals use plain bearings and/or cartridge bearings. There are of course both decent and awful pedals on both sides of that divide.

The noteworthy exception I've seen to the cheap pedals-cup & cone bearings correlation is horribly cheap Walmart/Bell pedals that use cast plastic bodies turning on smooth steel spindles with no discrete bearings at all.
Old September 5th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 12:11:04 PM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 05/09/2019 15:05, AMuzi wrote:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/04/can...r-neo-bearing/

Hellbender bottom bracket isn’t afraid of water

So the previous one was?

Apparently, Cane Creek wasn't selling BBs. They had a super-duper crank for which they designed a super-duper BB. Apparently people who owned the crank were just using water-fearing BBs manufactured by third-parties.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 6th 19, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 10:31:48 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
David Scheidt wrote:

jbeattie wrote:

:There are bearings, but they're encased in magical plastic stuff. I was thinking someone came up with a bushing BB.

They're not unheard of on crap kids toys.

Plain bearings are also used in expensive pedals. I guess a plain bearing beats a rotten rumbly ball bearing in that instance.

Chalo, What do you call those crank standards that fit the press-in bearings BBs? They are narrower than the 386.
Old September 6th 19, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tom Kunich wrote:

Chalo, What do you call those crank standards that fit the
press-in bearings BBs? They are narrower than the 386.

There are too many Johnny-come-lately nonstandard BB standards to keep track of them all. When I run across one I can't identify (rarely, because my shop is mostly commuters and thrifty upcyclers), I consult a table like Park Tool's.

My last mystery solved was a State brand disc brake CX bike with an eccentric BB. When I pulled the thing out, I thought, "this doesn't look quite big enough to be a tandem eccentric shell" and also "f**k me-- a new superfluous GD BB standard".

Turns out it was a regular BMX/OPC type shell with a couple of big set screws welded on. That customer got a tubular CrMo crank which was cheaper and cooler than what had been in the original plan.

Bearing Help iAmVincent Unicycling 5 November 28th 08 11:52 PM
bearing help please spazdude222 Unicycling 13 November 3rd 07 09:10 PM
Bearing problem: Stuck/Shifted bearing Evan Byrne Unicycling 26 August 3rd 07 07:01 PM
Overtightened bearing housing=Problems?? silverfridge Unicycling 4 March 31st 06 01:16 PM
Bearing Help TheoELind Unicycling 10 January 31st 06 06:15 PM