Bar Tape & STI's

Old May 1st 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bar Tape & STI's

So it looks like I need to re-tape the bars on my road bike. Shy of
1500 miles, but a couple crashes did it in. The right drop is loose,
fluttering in the wind. It's all bad, trust me on this. Thing is,
I've never taped any bars. Ever. And this one has STIs, cables under
the wrap, etc. How hard is this? Any good links for a how-to?
Should I give it a go, or just bring it to the shop?

Also, the tape that was on there was thick, coushy, and sort of
rubbery. I like it a lot. I want to use the same stuff. Since i
have no idea what it's called I'll probably have the shop order it for
me anyway.

Input appreciated.

Dan
Old May 1st 09, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 1, 11:58*am, " wrote:
So it looks like I need to re-tape the bars on my road bike. *Shy of
1500 miles, but a couple crashes did it in. *The right drop is loose,
fluttering in the wind. *It's all bad, trust me on this. *Thing is,
I've never taped any bars. *Ever. *And this one has STIs, cables under
the wrap, etc. *How hard is this? *Any good links for a how-to?
Should I give it a go, or just bring it to the shop?

Also, the tape that was on there was thick, coushy, and sort of
rubbery. *I like it a lot. *I want to use the same stuff. *Since i
have no idea what it's called I'll probably have the shop order it for
me anyway.

Input appreciated.

Dan

Hi there Dan.

Yes, your shop should be able to tape ypur bars for you.

Taping bars is not that hard. Do not pull too hard on cork tape or it
can break. First you anchor the cables in the position you want them
to be with thin electrical tape. Next you raise the rubber brake lever
cover and place a piece or two of bar tape on the body of the brake
lever. This goes from one side of the body around the bar and up the
other side. Then you start wrapping the bar tape starting at the
bottom end of the bar and working your way up towards the brake lever
body. One third overlap of tape over the previous turn should work
okay. There you cross the previously positioned tape and continue up
to the reinforcemet on the bar. A piece of electrical tape is wrapped
around the end to anchor the tape.

You can unwrap the tape on your existing bars and see how the tape was
applied.

Cheers from Peter

Old May 1st 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

wrote in message
So it looks like I need to re-tape the bars on my road bike. Shy of
1500 miles, but a couple crashes did it in. The right drop is loose,
fluttering in the wind. It's all bad, trust me on this. Thing is,
I've never taped any bars. Ever. And this one has STIs, cables under
the wrap, etc. How hard is this? Any good links for a how-to?
Should I give it a go, or just bring it to the shop?

Also, the tape that was on there was thick, coushy, and sort of
rubbery. I like it a lot. I want to use the same stuff. Since i
have no idea what it's called I'll probably have the shop order it for
me anyway.

Input appreciated.

Insulation tape works to hold down damaged bar tape - I've run like that for
years.

Otherwise there are various instructions about - ISTR Mike writing something
on the direction you should wrap fairly recently. It's actually fairly easy.

Sounds like your tape was likely to be cork tape.

Old May 1st 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

schreef:
So it looks like I need to re-tape the bars on my road bike. Shy of
1500 miles, but a couple crashes did it in. The right drop is loose,
fluttering in the wind. It's all bad, trust me on this. Thing is,
I've never taped any bars. Ever. And this one has STIs, cables under
the wrap, etc. How hard is this? Any good links for a how-to?
Should I give it a go, or just bring it to the shop?

Also, the tape that was on there was thick, coushy, and sort of
rubbery. I like it a lot. I want to use the same stuff. Since i
have no idea what it's called I'll probably have the shop order it for
me anyway.

Input appreciated.

Dan

Sure give it a shot. It is not hard. You have to be patient. There
should be plenty online instructions. Try google or Youtube.
The best tip I got is to stop trying to put the beginning of the bartape
inside the handlebar. With corktape this is very hard to do neatly and
it gives an ugly bulge. Now I first put very thin double sided tape on
the first 10 cm of each end of the handlebar. Before I start I cut the
tape at the right angle. I align that end with the handlebars end with a
tiny overlap (0.5 mm). The doublesided tape holds the first windings
nicely and firm. Then 'struggle'your way up ;-)
Before you install the plug you have to thinken them with some electric
or other tape, otherwise they won't hold.

Lou
Old May 1st 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On May 1, 9:31*am, wrote:
continue up
to the reinforcemet on the bar. A piece of electrical tape is wrapped
around the end to anchor the tape.

I usually make a 30 degree diagonal cut on that end, too, to make that
finish a little neater; less bulgey.

And yes, I'm going to say that "bulgey" is a real word.
Old May 1st 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On May 1, 1:28*pm, Tosspot wrote:
wrote:
So it looks like I need to re-tape the bars on my road bike. *Shy of
1500 miles, but a couple crashes did it in. *The right drop is loose,
fluttering in the wind. *It's all bad, trust me on this. *Thing is,
I've never taped any bars. *Ever. *And this one has STIs, cables under
the wrap, etc. *How hard is this? *Any good links for a how-to?
Should I give it a go, or just bring it to the shop?

It's a simple job, won't take 1/2 hour. *Did my 1st one a few months back.

Tossies guide to bar tape;

* * * * a) Do one side at a time.

* * * * b) *Before* you take the original off, make sure you know which
* * * * * *way it is wound, or Dog will smite you from on high.

* * * * c) Unwrap one side, use a bit of electrical insulation tape to
* * * * * *tack the concealed cable in place if it's not allready.

* * * * d) Lift the skirts on the hoods, use a bit of bar tape
* * * * * * to make a backing where the lever is clamped,
* * * * * *then if it doesn't all fit perfectly, this will hide
* * * * * *any exposed metal.

* * * * e) Wind it on exactly like the other one.

Tossies advanced guide;

* * * * a) Now would be a *really* good time to check those
* * * * * *cable outers...

Hoest, you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like I should give it a go. It's
a stupid thing to be unable to do... I can and do build bikes frame-
up, but I'm still pretty green to the road bike thing. I think my
Rudge has cork tape on it, this doesn't feel like that. It's very
soft and foamy. Maybe just different kinds, I don't know. Anyway, I
guess I'll try to find a picturized tutorial and get some new tape and
give it a go. Maybe just tape up what's there for the mean time.

Also, the cables should be fine. Like I said, less than 1500 miles on
the bike. I'll eye everything to make sure I didn't kind anything in
the crash, but it still shifts and brakes normal so I doubt it.
Old May 1st 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 1, 1:58*pm, DanKMTB wrote:
On May 1, 1:28*pm, Tosspot wrote:

wrote:
[...]

If you like the feel of most OEM tape--replace with OEM style tape. A
lot of LBS around here don't carry the basic stuff--just that
overpriced Stella junk and cork--which some of us find overpriced,
fragile, and uncomfortable. Nashbar is a great source for the basic
stuff which they call "Nashbar Deluxe handlebar Tape." It's so durable
that I've taken it off before and changed the chirality of the wrap to
expose the clean half. Currently run it with cloth on top.

Do remember to run cork and foam from the end cap up to the finishing
tape. Cloth can be started up top and finished by tucking it in the
bar end, then capping. If you don't wanna spring for Velox type bar
ends, you'll probably have to fool with the caps to make them tight. I
use a little electrical tape for that, to build up the diameter as
it's hidden.
Old May 1st 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On May 1, 11:09*am, landotter wrote:

overpriced Stella junk

I will say that the Stella Azzura Eleganza stuff - the perforated/
stitched kind, like a leather steering wheel wrap - Is absolutely
awesome. Not cheap, but VERY grippy, comfortable, and durable. It's
not very porous, either (aside from the perforations) so if you get
white or yellow, it washes quite nicely.
Old May 1st 09, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On May 1, 2:09*pm, landotter wrote:
On May 1, 1:58*pm, DanKMTB wrote:

On May 1, 1:28*pm, Tosspot wrote:

wrote:
[...]

it's hidden.- Hide quoted text -

Here's what i'm working with. It's apparently a Bontrager tape (no
surprise, half the stuff on this bike is Bontrager) that seems to have
an adhesive strip down the inside.
http://tinyurl.com/dew8bp
http://tinyurl.com/covndx

I'll probably try to use the same plugs, and just replace the tape.

WTB Shimano 9 Sp STI's The Wolff Den Marketplace 1 September 16th 06 02:30 PM
Anyone tried glass reinforced packing tape as rim tape? Martyn Aldis Techniques 21 May 8th 06 05:19 PM
Duct tape for holding rim tape or in leu of rim tape? meb Techniques 21 August 4th 04 09:23 PM
Ultegra STI's David Waters UK 9 June 8th 04 04:04 PM
Looking for 8 sp 105 STI's Robert Warren Marketplace 7 April 22nd 04 08:12 PM