Derailler Adjustment

Old August 21st 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Derailler Adjustment

I’m sure I can and will figure this out on my own, but figured I’d see
what you all said first.

The situation: On the big ring, I can only use the 4 smallest cogs on
the rear. I think I was able to use 6 before without rubbing. Also,
if I shift onto the big ring up front without first going to the
biggest cog on the back (a major chain cross and no-no) it over-shifts
and drops the chain off the outside of the big ring. I’m usually on
the 4th smallest cog (10 speed cassette) when I go to the big ring,
but that results in chain drop now.

I’m thinking use the cable adjuster to tighten the derailler in on the
frame a bit to fix the lack of using the 5th rear cog on the big ring,
and bring in the outside limit screw a touch to fix the chain
dropping.

Here’s the catch: On the highest gear (big ring, smallest cog) I have
a touch of derailler rub as well. Seems any adjustment of the outside
limit screw to avoid chain drop will make this worse. I’m thinking
that at some point during loading/unloading on the bus, the derailler
was spun a bit. So, perhaps rotating the derailler on the seat tube
may correct this.

Took my first “fast” ride in a while the day before yesterday, and
have not had time to play with it since. Any guesses or suggestions
before I start fiddling?

Dan
Old August 21st 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 21 Aug, 17:30, Nick wrote:
wrote:
Here’s the catch: *On the highest gear (big ring, smallest cog) I have
a touch of derailler rub as well. *Seems any adjustment of the outside
limit screw to avoid chain drop will make this worse. *I’m thinking
that at some point during loading/unloading on the bus, the derailler
was spun a bit. *So, perhaps rotating the derailler on the seat tube
may correct this.

I would go for that. Maybe height too.

section snipped.

So I'd be interested in how to get height and direction correct.

Use a half-step setup.

Put the chain on the big ring and move the mech down so that it wont
shift off the big ring, move the mech up until it just shifts. With a
deep inner plate on a triple, you have to ensure the plate clears the
middle ring, removal of excess plate depth by grinding is appropriate.
Old August 21st 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TT

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Sram X9 Derailler Jama Techniques 6 August 1st 09 07:22 AM
Derailler Problem. Neil Smith UK 8 December 1st 06 11:55 AM
best front derailler? Steve knight Recumbent Biking 0 July 9th 06 08:24 PM
Will an LX derailler work better? [email protected] Techniques 6 October 12th 04 02:56 AM
Front derailler adjustment Yum Techniques 12 October 6th 04 05:07 AM