Flipping the bike over to work on it

Old October 23rd 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Clive George

Default Flipping the bike over to work on it

"Lou Holtman" wrote in message

No it is not about unmanlyhood, it is about not caring about the
possiblity to scratch the shifters/brakelevers/saddle damaging the
handlebar tape or kink the cables.

You sure it's not just an elitist conspiracy? They're much more fun.

Old October 23rd 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Oct 23, 12:26 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Ozark Bicycle Service wrote:
On Oct 23, 9:41 am, Dyrty wrote:
When I fix a flat tire or do other wheel work I like to work on it
while the bicycle is upside down on the ground. Of course I move the
headlight etc so it doesn't get damaged or I mount the handlebars on a
small box or blocks. It's easy to put a towel under the seat.

I notice that bicycle shop employees do flat tires on a bicycle
stand. This doesn't make sense to me because on a bike stand you need
a "third arm" to re-mount the wheel on the bicycle against gravity.
But when the bike is upside down on the ground, the axle usually slips
right in to the dropouts. I can then easily see if something is out
of alignment, out of true, etc.

Are there any bike shop mechanics who do it upside down?

In the 1970s, I had a girlfriend who was a mechanic at a suburban
shop. She loved to "do it upside down". ;-)

Your "friend" Carl Fogel likes to turn his bicycle upside down to annoy
your other "friend" Jobst Brandt.

Fogel is an insect. Brandt is merely opinionated and ornery. I'd ride
with Brandt, but never with an insect.

Old October 23rd 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Oct 23, 2:47*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
Chalo schreef:

Dyrty wrote:
I notice that bicycle shop employees do flat tires on a bicycle
stand. *This doesn't make sense to me because on a bike stand you need
a "third arm" to re-mount the wheel on the bicycle against gravity.
But when the bike is upside down on the ground, the axle usually slips
right in to the dropouts. *I can then easily see if something is out
of alignment, out of true, etc.

I would never set a customer's bike upside-down on the ground because
there are too many ways to mess it up that way-- kinking cable
housings, scratching brake lever clamps, staining bar tape, etc.
Plus, it's easy to inadvertently knock the bike over from that
position.

My point exactly. No respect for the bike.

Lou

I guess I fall into this class. I could care less if I scratch the
shifters, it can't be any worse than crashing and I've done that on
and off road on my road bike. I am meticulous with taking care of it,
keeping everything shifting perfect, checking chain wear, etc. but a
couple scratches on a plastic bit? Whatever.
Old October 23rd 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 23 Oct, 19:22, "Colin B." wrote:
In rec.bicycles.tech Dyrty wrote:

When I fix a flat tire or do other wheel work I like to work on it
while the bicycle is upside down on the ground. *Of course I move the
headlight etc so it doesn't get damaged or I mount the handlebars on a
small box or blocks. *It's easy to put a towel under the seat.

I notice that bicycle shop employees do flat tires on a bicycle
stand. *This doesn't make sense to me because on a bike stand you need
a "third arm" to re-mount the wheel on the bicycle against gravity.
But when the bike is upside down on the ground, the axle usually slips
right in to the dropouts. *I can then easily see if something is out
of alignment, out of true, etc.

Are there any bike shop mechanics who do it upside down?

Note that hydraulic brakes preclude this practice.

What's wrong with kinky cables?
Old October 23rd 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On 23 Oct, 19:45, Lou Holtman wrote:
schreef:

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:41:29 -0700 (PDT), Dyrty
wrote:

When I fix a flat tire or do other wheel work I like to work on it
while the bicycle is upside down on the ground. *Of course I move the
headlight etc so it doesn't get damaged or I mount the handlebars on a
small box or blocks. *It's easy to put a towel under the seat.

I notice that bicycle shop employees do flat tires on a bicycle
stand. *This doesn't make sense to me because on a bike stand you need
a "third arm" to re-mount the wheel on the bicycle against gravity.
But when the bike is upside down on the ground, the axle usually slips
right in to the dropouts. *I can then easily see if something is out
of alignment, out of true, etc.

Are there any bike shop mechanics who do it upside down?

Dear D,

Heck, even airplane mechanics flip planes upside-down for routine
repairs--here, Lindbergh replaces a flat front ti

http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...ghs_First_Plan...

Some riders make a fetish out of blackguarding anyone who dares to
flip a bike upside-down, probably because of a fear that it's an
unmanly act, practiced only by women and children:

No it is not about unmanlyhood, it is about not caring about the
possiblity to scratch the shifters/brakelevers/saddle damaging the
handlebar tape or kink the cables.

Lou

I'm sure the OP is quite happy to have is saddle scratched.
Old October 23rd 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
AMuzi

Dyrty wrote:

Are there any bike shop mechanics who do it upside down?

Only on 8 March

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 23rd 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Chalo schreef:

Dyrty wrote:
[...]

It is just not necessary.
When you come home you smack the bike on the ground or with the RD
against the brick wall, another habit of that class.
Once I sold my brothes nice and expensive roadbike to a friend of my for
his son. He got it for a great price. My brother had taken good care of
the bike for 5 years. The first ride the bike fell on the ground two
times because he didn't pay attention while leaning the bike against the
wall TWICE. Fork scratched, handbartape loose and brake lever
scratched. It was his bike but it ****ed me off anyway.

Lou
Old October 23rd 09, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:34:26 +0100, "Clive George"
wrote:

"Colin B." wrote in message
In rec.bicycles.tech Dyrty wrote:
When I fix a flat tire or do other wheel work I like to work on it
while the bicycle is upside down on the ground. Of course I move the
headlight etc so it doesn't get damaged or I mount the handlebars on a
small box or blocks. It's easy to put a towel under the seat.

I notice that bicycle shop employees do flat tires on a bicycle
stand. This doesn't make sense to me because on a bike stand you need
a "third arm" to re-mount the wheel on the bicycle against gravity.
But when the bike is upside down on the ground, the axle usually slips
right in to the dropouts. I can then easily see if something is out
of alignment, out of true, etc.

Are there any bike shop mechanics who do it upside down?

Note that hydraulic brakes preclude this practice.

Not all - my maguras are happy in any orientation.

Originally I found the problem with inverting bikes was the cables coming
out of drop bar hoods. When they went aero, that problem went away - only to
be replaced with speedos sitting on top of the handlebars :-)

The vast majority of hydraulis are OK in any position - the reservoirs
are sealed.
Old October 23rd 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

wrote:
"Colin B." wrote in message
[...]

Your hydraulics may be ok but what of Dyrty's high bolXXX?

Flipping off the American bike industry Robert Chung Racing 5 May 17th 08 04:09 AM
flipping my stem? Aeek Australia 4 August 16th 06 01:15 PM
Flipping ITM Millenium Stem [email protected] Techniques 3 August 11th 06 05:08 PM
flipping weather davek UK 29 May 9th 06 11:02 AM