Buying on the net

Old September 22nd 04, 04:13 PM
DRS

Default Buying on the net

"SteveA" wrote in
message
DRS Wrote:

[...]

Peformance don't want a bar of it. Verification must be via
telephone, they
say.

*The challenge to get the imported pedal-thing cannot be too easy.*

*CBA Merchant Enquiries number 1800 657 151* from 8am to 8pm AEST,
Monday to Friday. Don't know if the 1800 number works from the US but

It won't. Funnily enough, though, 13 numbers will (ie., +61 13 xxxx).

if you ring them you might be able to get a 'standard number'.

I've fired off another email to CBA.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 22nd 04, 04:22 PM
DRS

"Mike" wrote in message

DRS wrote:

Right now I've got my hopes pinned on AEBike. They've got what I
wanted

I had good experience. Fantastic range - lots I couldn't get here.
The only thing was that the postmark showed it took them a week to
actually post the order. So be a little patient.
From Kalamazoo to Aus, its a long way down the track :-)

Woo-hoo! Go Alfred E. Bike! My order has shipped!

And bloody Performance is still arguing over how they want to contact my
bank to verify my details.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 22nd 04, 08:26 PM
gclark8

SteveA Wrote:
George

I usually use the cheapest delivery method that Performance offers.
Once the order is placed, they will email with the actual options (th
order process only shows the estimate not the actual) and you get t
choose via email. Last order was US$209.34 in total, US$187.97 afte
the coupon discount, freight was US$40.40 (order had 1 heavy item - a
SKS track pump) via USPS Mail, took 9 weeks to arrive. Alternative o
offer was delivery in 7 to 10 business days via FedEX Air at a
additional cost of US$50 to US$60

Previous order for US$197.94 worth of goods came via USPS Mail and cos
US$28.75. Arrived after 8 weeks. Alternative offer was delivery in
to 10 business days via FedEX Air at an additional cost of US$45 t
US$50

Hope this gives you some idea of likely cost

Are you changing from double to triple or just replacing a triple? I
changing from double, do you have the necessary new front and rea
derailleurs or will you be ordering them as well

I ride in all weather in Perth (hot showers in our gym in the offic
building and a hot coffee at my desk make it fairly easy to recove
from the ****ty weather). I was explaining the motivation to som
non-cyclists in the office recently, "any idiot can ride when it i
fine and sunny". The response from my colleagues was, "yes, but i
takes a special kind of idiot to ride in this weather!

SteveA

HI Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I am changing, $$ permittng, the RPM square drive triple for Ultegr
triple & Octalink BB as they are on sale in some US shops. However
the freight component of some quotes takes the shine off the deal.
will probably go with Nytro.com as the total price with USPS Ordinar
Air Mail is less than Performance + fedex, but more than performance
USPS Surface Mail.

Pity the local shops won't pass on the current specials on 9 speed 10
and Ultegra from Shimano. The Ultegra 10 is out soon, but my shifte
(SL-R660-10) is not available until the 4th Quarter next year.

I know I should ride in all weather, but at my age (55+) one has to b
sensible about these things. I don't like arriving wet only to rid
home wet again. Getting wet on the way home is OK.

cheers
Georg

--
gclark

Old, grey, but no longer fat.

Old September 23rd 04, 09:51 AM
DRS

"DRS" wrote in message

"SteveA" wrote in
message

[...]

if you ring them you might be able to get a 'standard number'.

I've fired off another email to CBA.

The international number for the CBA merchant enquiry line is +61 2 9768
1046. Let's see what happens when Performance discover it's not a 24 hour
line.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 23rd 04, 11:49 AM
Parbs

A group where no one top posts?

"DRS" wrote in message ...
"aeek" wrote in message

DRS Wrote:

I never left it except to respond to your puerile attack on me.

It's the same with board games. Yes, they are much more available on
the net but if I don't buy the german-style games I like locally it
doesn't encourage more of them being available.

How many times do I have to say what I want isn't available in Australia?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 24th 04, 06:13 AM
mfhor

DRS Wrote:

(1)

Oh, it's ridiculous all right. Expecting to be able to buy somethin
from a
vendor without being stuffed around is not spoilt in the slightest.

Everything cycling is social, fella

Er, no.

[...]

(2)

You're full of ****. I buy what I please for my bike and I don't hav
justify it to anyone.

. . . but you're just ignoring anything people say which doesn't fit
your rant.

[...]

Sounds like
you have chosen cycling as a small and limited field, in which you
can be safely obsessed about the shortcomings of everyone involved,
rather than getting on with what it's all about.

(4)

Seems to me you're a moron without a clue. I'm trying to buy bik
stuff to
improve my cycling experience.

[...]

(5)

Now this is the really important bit and because you're fundamentally
dishonest you've ignored it completely. This is the most importan
item in
my current list and no Australian vendor has it available online. M
LBS
doesn't have it either. I'm certainly not going to not buy fro
overseas
just to please the likes of you.

(6)

You truly are an idiot.

(7)

It's rare to come across anyone as fundamentally
stupid as you.

(8)

You've worked yourself up over a whole bunch of bad
assumptions, launched into a tirade about **** all and ignored ever
point
of substance. You deserve to go out of business with your attitud
towards
customers.

Is that a record? I've just been insulted (hmm, let me see) 7 separat
times for daring to disagree with someone who doesn't like his bike
because he can't get an iddy-widdy bit for his bikey-wikey that most o
the rest of us seem to get on fine without. (No, sorry, 8. All thi
personal abuse has made me feel quite Off-Topic. I think I may go an
lie down.)

Then he starts whining coz the big kids on the next block won't let hi
have one either, and expects us to sympathise, when our bikes all see
to work fine, with the bits the big kids let us have already.
[/analogy, ridicule, satire]

Work myself up? You'd be lucky. I doubt I'd have to change out of th
little ring to beat you in an argument.

I don't own a shop. Never have. Primarily because of having to pla
psychotherapist to the small proportion of (soon to be ex-)customer
who never seem to be happy until they've got something to complai
about, whether it's non-existent mechanical glitches, obscure bike par
availability, the vagaries of transnational financial transactions, o
the fact that they live in a country with an extremely small bik
industry. Well, the USA beckons, I'd tell them . . .

Here it is, the prime example, the magnificent neural disconnect tha
signifies, once and for all, that DRS is just a gear freak with n
aspirations to anything beyond posing well within the envelope (paus
for drumroll, and his apoplexy to reach a new crescendo):

"I'm trying to buy bike stuff to improve my cycling experience"

Take away "bike" and "cycling" (interchangeable, for the sake of thi
argument, with "4WD" or "tiddlywinks" or "Samba Dancing") and what d
we have?

"I'm trying to buy stuff to improve my experience"

Not the most Taoistically or Buddhistically enlightened of chaps
Classic case of 21C consumeritis, I'd say. Go back to Ikea. They've go
your type dialled. (Ooops, then he'd want the garlic-crusher in th
colour you could only get in Sweden. Sorry, Ikea staff!)

Heheheh. Melvin. Heheheheh. Carol's not in today, Melvin. Heheheheh.

M "doesn't get too worried about which Taiwanese factory his parts com
from"

--
mfhor

Old September 24th 04, 07:05 AM
flyingdutch

mfhor Wrote:

all that previous guff...

picks oneself off floor. Thanx 4 that. made my day and put a big smil
on the dial. No doubt we can expect the usual comeback of 'Dont us
words you dont understand' (which is possibly the worst-applie
comeback ever), 'dont-give-up-your-day-job' or some extreme exageratio
of what is said to suit the blah-blah. Oh, and if one is totall
off-thread we simply call it a 'meta-discussion'. And if that aint
'flamin' sig, nothin is...

just waiting for the banal reply from our favourite..

--
flyingdutch

Old September 24th 04, 12:58 PM
DRS

"mfhor" wrote in message

DRS Wrote:

(1)

Oh, it's ridiculous all right. Expecting to be able to buy something
from a
vendor without being stuffed around is not spoilt in the slightest.

Everything cycling is social, fella

Er, no.

[...]

(2)

You're full of ****. I buy what I please for my bike and I don't
have to
justify it to anyone.

. . . but you're just ignoring anything people say which doesn't fit
your rant.

[...]

Sounds like
you have chosen cycling as a small and limited field, in which you
can be safely obsessed about the shortcomings of everyone involved,
rather than getting on with what it's all about.

(4)

Seems to me you're a moron without a clue. I'm trying to buy bike
stuff to
improve my cycling experience.

[...]

(5)

Now this is the really important bit and because you're fundamentally
dishonest you've ignored it completely. This is the most important
item in
my current list and no Australian vendor has it available online. My
LBS
doesn't have it either. I'm certainly not going to not buy from
overseas
just to please the likes of you.

(6)

You truly are an idiot.

(7)

It's rare to come across anyone as fundamentally
stupid as you.

(8)

You've worked yourself up over a whole bunch of bad
assumptions, launched into a tirade about **** all and ignored every
point
of substance. You deserve to go out of business with your attitude
towards
customers.

Is that a record? I've just been insulted (hmm, let me see) 7 separate

You can't count either. #1 clearly doesn't belong in your list of ad homs.

times for daring to disagree

No, it wasn't for "daring to disagree". It was for your ignorant,
unsubstantiated, irrational and offensive attempt to impugn me because I'm
trying to by an item for my bike I can't even get in this country. And it's
no wonder why, either, with ****ed up fools like you in the local business.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 24th 04, 01:23 PM
aeek

DRS Wrote:
snipped

I think you put it so much better before

DRS Wrote:

How many times do I have to say what I want isn't available i
Australia?

succinct, no abuse to distract from your valid point

--
aeek

Buying a bike unseen Dukester General 26 July 27th 05 01:20 PM
Bike buying suggestion OklahomaDave General 11 January 7th 05 04:23 AM
general buying advice please David UK 9 June 25th 04 09:57 PM
Buying in Germany GreyFx2 Recumbent Biking 2 March 22nd 04 08:51 AM
Buying mail order from Italy Me UK 15 December 7th 03 07:41 PM