Increase in female cycling commuters?

Old December 20th 05, 12:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Increase in female cycling commuters?

Over the last couple of days I've noticed a somewhat dramatic increase
in the number of ladies out there on bikes.

I'm not talking about around the CBD, I'm talking about long haul
commuting routes such as Moorabin, Cheltenham etc. This time last year
I'd be hard pressed to spot a single woman on my commute.

Over the last couple of days easily a quarter of the cyclists on my
usual route have been female.

If female cyclists are the frogs of the environment then cycling's
doing quite well and getting better :-)

--
EuanB

Old December 20th 05, 12:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

http://www.froggifts.com/yardgarden2/bike.gif

--
cfsmtb

Old December 20th 05, 01:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB wrote:

Over the last couple of days I've noticed a somewhat dramatic increase
in the number of ladies out there on bikes.

I'm not talking about around the CBD, I'm talking about long haul
commuting routes such as Moorabin, Cheltenham etc. This time last year
I'd be hard pressed to spot a single woman on my commute.

How do you know she's a single woman? She might have a boyfriend

Over the last couple of days easily a quarter of the cyclists on my
usual route have been female.

If female cyclists are the frogs of the environment then cycling's
doing quite well and getting better :-)

It is good news. I am still the only girl along Logan Rd. When Lotte
moves we can ride together again every day, but not Logan Rd!

Even when I ran to uni/work, so I left very early, the training rides
were full of men.

Tam
Old December 20th 05, 05:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
It is good news. I am still the only girl along Logan Rd. When Lotte
moves we can ride together again every day, but not Logan Rd!

When I rode Bogan Road almost daily, I never once saw you!! Not that I
knew you at the time, but I think I would've noticed someone riding past
and slapping me on the lard.

And yes, when I move we shall do lots of river riding. I need to get
fit so I can mow Abby and Glenn's hairy butts.

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old December 20th 05, 09:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"cfsmtb" == cfsmtb writes:

cfsmtb http://www.froggifts.com/yardgarden2/bike.gif

Usual sort of impromptu bunch down St. Kilda Road. Six of us, two women
:-) One lady in particular (Kennedy bike, SBR top) REALLY knew what she
was doing.

Things are looking good :-)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old December 20th 05, 10:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2005-12-20, Euan (aka Bruce)
"cfsmtb" == cfsmtb writes:

cfsmtb http://www.froggifts.com/yardgarden2/bike.gif

Usual sort of impromptu bunch down St. Kilda Road. Six of us, two women
:-) One lady in particular (Kennedy bike, SBR top) REALLY knew what she
was doing.

Things are looking good :-)

Oi! Don't say that kind of thing when SusieB can read this! You're
not meant to be oggling the other woman!

--
TimC
I am not afraid of heights, nor am I scared of falling. Height and
Old December 20th 05, 11:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"TimC" == TimC writes:

TimC On 2005-12-20, Euan (aka Bruce) was almost, but not quite,
TimC entirely unlike tea:
"cfsmtb" == cfsmtb
writes:

cfsmtb http://www.froggifts.com/yardgarden2/bike.gif
Usual sort of impromptu bunch down St. Kilda Road. Six of us,
two women :-) One lady in particular (Kennedy bike, SBR top)
REALLY knew what she was doing.

Things are looking good :-)

TimC Oi! Don't say that kind of thing when SusieB can read this!
TimC You're not meant to be oggling the other woman!

Let's see. Me on heavily laden bike. Laptop on one side; tools,
clothes, etc on the other. Oh and I'm on an easy day as well.

Lady on custom built road bike in full roadie gear. Heck even in racing
trim I doubt I'd be able to stick with her if she put the hammer down.
When someone's in front of you there's not a lot you can do :-)
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old December 20th 05, 12:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2005-12-20, Euan (aka Bruce)
"TimC" == TimC writes:

TimC On 2005-12-20, Euan (aka Bruce) was almost, but not quite,
TimC entirely unlike tea:
Usual sort of impromptu bunch down St. Kilda Road. Six of us,
two women :-) One lady in particular (Kennedy bike, SBR top)
REALLY knew what she was doing.

Things are looking good :-)

TimC Oi! Don't say that kind of thing when SusieB can read this!
TimC You're not meant to be oggling the other woman!

Let's see. Me on heavily laden bike. Laptop on one side; tools,
clothes, etc on the other. Oh and I'm on an easy day as well.

Lady on custom built road bike in full roadie gear. Heck even in racing
trim I doubt I'd be able to stick with her if she put the hammer down.
When someone's in front of you there's not a lot you can do :-)

Wheel suck. If you need help, just ask GPLama

Or, failing that, grab a wheel as in that prox26.flv file.

--
TimC
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher priority for ATC. I
Old December 20th 05, 07:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"TimC" == TimC writes:

Lady on custom built road bike in full roadie gear. Heck even in
racing trim I doubt I'd be able to stick with her if she put the
hammer down. When someone's in front of you there's not a lot
you can do :-)

TimC Wheel suck. If you need help, just ask GPLama

Generally I don't wheel suck, especially down St Kilda Road in Peak
hour. That's far too dangerous! Even when I do wheel suck it's only
when I know I can do a bit of work as well.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old December 20th 05, 08:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB Wrote:
If female cyclists are the frogs of the environment then cycling's doing
quite well and getting better :-)

Getting back on topic, next ABS census is in 2006. I recall this
subject came up in conversation at a mid-year Yarra Bicycle Advisory
Committee - as these stats are *crucial* to future bicycle funding
infrastructure & strategy direction in all three tiers of government.

So ditch the Jedi Knight palaver, ok!!!

--
cfsmtb