Are you 45+

Old July 28th 08, 06:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
de.bengel

Default Are you 45+

Tulsa wrote:
I'm thinking right now that brain surgery might have been easier to
learn

I considered that too, but I found that there is a severe lack of
practising opportunities in that field.

--
de.bengel
Old July 28th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tulsa

de.bengel wrote:
I considered that too, but I found that there is a severe lack of
practising opportunities in that field.

You got a point there.

--
Tulsa
Old July 28th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

43 yo, bought my son a unicycle after he got enthralled with Bondo's
uni, then bought me one for my birthday. I can now free mount about 50%
when I'm not tired, can ride as far as I want (have the energy) on
asphalt or gravel, making moderate hills without stopping, working on
making tighter turns, idling, etc...

It is probably the hardest sport I have ever tried to learn, even more
so than ww kayaking, climbing, and skiing. It is such a "stoopid" sport
too, kinda' reminds me of telemark skiing

Don't take too much offense you purists, it's a complement to call
something that you like "stoopid", think of it as an endearment

I was remarking to my wife how funny it was to have pre-teens
commenting on a forum that is also populated by people their mom's and
dad's age. If only I'd learned when I was a kid, man that would have
rocked!

Keep learning, it's the key to delaying that long slide into the ground

Hey Tulsa, you'll get it, but you need to take that "brain surgery" job
ethic and apply the same time and effort to uni. I practice every day
for at least thirty minutes, just like I would if I were learning an
musical instrument. The learning curve is steep! Try hiking or ski
poles, they work great for salf spotting

--
Nurse Ben
Old July 28th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
blueharmony

One of the things I really enjoy about this sport is the huge age
diversity. Being able to sit down and talk seriously on the level with
a kid in 2nd grade about something that is important to both of you is
amazing!

--
blueharmony

_________
- Kenny
-unicycle for polytheism-
Old July 28th 08, 07:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patmoore

I'm certainly qualified based on age but feel a bit like a fraud calling
myself an active unicyclist. The summer has been flying by and I hadn't
even hopped on one of my unis at all until last Monday when I did a
leisurely five mile ride in East Windsor, CT. I managed the entire
outbound leg without a stop and only had one UPD on the homeward
stretch. It felt good to get out again and I hope to be a bit more
active before the snowboard/ski season returns.

--
patmoore

MY
GALLERY (\"HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/INDEX.PHP?PAGE=GALLERY&G2_ITEMID=193091\")
"When you're over the hill, you pick up speed!"
'Entry level uni sales at www.suburbansport.com'
(http://suburbansport.com/unicycles.html)
Old July 29th 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
BillyTheMountain

does anyone think unicycling can lead to knee replacements.

i don't want to have to get a knee replacement, cuz they don't work
nearly as well as hip replacements.

--
BillyTheMountain

TEAM YAMS member
"'Coincidence' is the hobgoblin of those with no hope of finding an
explanation." --BillyTheMountain
http://www.1800genocide.com/ the first-ever anti-genocide hotline.
Old July 29th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

BillyTheMountain wrote:
does anyone think unicycling can lead to knee replacements.

i don't want to have to get a knee replacement, cuz they don't work
nearly as well as hip replacements.

Depends, I'd like to upgrade to a Kris Holm knee or maybe an aluminum
and carbon fiber knee.

--
Bondo

Apply Directly to a Unicycle.

'w00tni|iciou$n3s$Rof1iwins'
(http://tinyurl.com/5fcdr2)
Old July 29th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

Hey Patmoore, I was looking at your pictures under your name and thought
to myself, "here's a guy just prime for telemarking"! So, ever thought
about it?

--
Nurse Ben
Old July 29th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholmer

I have a 20", KH 24" and a KH 29". The KH 24" is my favorite, I ride
about 4 miles almost every night! I learned when I was in 5th grade,
left unicycling for some time and now for about the last 5 years, it is
all I think about (well almost). I am interested in distance riding, I
hope to purchase a 36", but I have concerns, I still can't free mount
my 29" which worries me....

--
tholmer
Old July 29th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

tholmer
How long have oyu had the 29? I had the same problem with my 36 but
decided one day all I would do for a half hour is just work on
mounting. I would get on and go about 2 revolutions and get off and try
getting back on. It works. What is hard is in the beginning every time
you do get on you want to get moving. Just take a day and practice
getting on. You will succeed

--
rem48