Chain Help/Discussion?

Old August 7th 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Chain Help/Discussion?

So I’m looking for my first replacement 10 speed chain, and am a bit
lost. If you want to skip the more elaborate part of this and still
give your quick answer, anything wrong with this chain? Any reason
not to use it and be done with it? Sram PC 1030. http://tinyurl.com/nzfbes
It’s $27, MSRP $33 and seems to be about the same as the rest. 257
grams, not that I care if my chain adds an ounce or not.

Anyway, I started looking on Nashbar, and was surprised to see my
cheapest option was $40 for a Nashbar brand chain that has a MSRP of
$50. It weighs in @ 265g, so it’s not more expensive than the SRAM
due to some gram saving nonsense. I’m puzzled why it costs so much.
http://tinyurl.com/nhuq76

an HG “super narrow” 10 speed setup for the new 5600 10 speed 105
group? I’ve got a 10 speed 105 group, but it’s not new. I bought the
bike ~2 years ago, and it was a leftover old stock then. This chain
is $43, MSRP of $43, no sale. http://tinyurl.com/kkflyw

The last one I even looked at on Nashbar (I’m not spending over $50 on
a chain unless someone can give me a damn good reason) was the SRAM
PC1070 Hollowpin. This chain confuses me. $48, MSRP $58. Hollowpin,
but weighs 265 grams. That’s more than the $33 MSRP Srapm PC 1030 I
can get for $27! Again, I’m not really counting grams so much as
trying to understand the difference, but why go hollow pin to make a
heavier chain? http://tinyurl.com/mhtnku

So, anyone want to educate me here? What’s the deal? Why do all
these other chains cost so much more? Is the SRAM PC 1030 junk? If
so, what should I be considering? I’m honestly confused here. I
figured there would be some stupid expensive 10 speed chains, but
thought the point would be for people who count every gram. Based on
what I found here, I can’t see a single reason for anyone to buy any
of the above chains besides the PC 1030, even if they were counting
grams.

Also, anyone who has used the PC 1030, especially with Shimano stuff
(mine us 105 but I’m guessing Shimano is Shimano for this instance?)
I’d be curious to hear what you thought of it.

Thanks,

Dan
Old August 7th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

schreef:
So I’m looking for my first replacement 10 speed chain, and am a bit
lost. If you want to skip the more elaborate part of this and still
give your quick answer, anything wrong with this chain? Any reason
not to use it and be done with it? Sram PC 1030.
http://tinyurl.com/nzfbes
It’s $27, MSRP $33 and seems to be about the same as the rest. 257
grams, not that I care if my chain adds an ounce or not.

I heard from several people that Sram PC 1030 chains are noisy. Some
people with Sram equipped bikes use Shimano 10 speed chains. My general
advice is always: Shimano equipment, use Shimano chains. Ultegra level
is the best deal IMO. Don't worry about the weight differences and don't
worry about the couple of bucks price difference. Hollow pins or punched
outerplates is about weight.

Lou
Old August 7th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Aug 7, 10:46*am, Lou Holtman wrote:
schreef:

So I’m looking for my first replacement 10 speed chain, and am a bit
lost. *If you want to skip the more elaborate part of this and still
give your quick answer, anything wrong with this chain? *Any reason
not to use it and be done with it? *Sram PC 1030. *http://tinyurl.com/nzfbes
It’s $27, MSRP $33 and seems to be about the same as the rest. *257
grams, not that I care if my chain adds an ounce or not.

I heard from several people that Sram PC 1030 chains are noisy. Some
people with Sram equipped bikes use Shimano 10 speed chains. My general
advice is always: Shimano equipment, use Shimano chains. Ultegra level
is the best deal IMO. Don't worry about the weight differences and don't
worry about the couple of bucks price difference. Hollow pins or punched
outerplates is about weight.

Lou

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the Ultegra CN-6600 at the moment. My
concern with a shimano chain is the special "pin" they use rather than
a master or quick link. Any experience with these? Reviews say
they're a PITA to install and often fail. I've never had an issue
with the SRAM quick links. Then again, I do have a good chain tool
(Park CT3) and am willing to take my time, so I'm thinking it'd be ok?
Old August 7th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

schreef:

[...]

If you pay a little attention the special pin is no problem. Do it at
home and take your time. Don't take it off and on when cleaning leave it
on the bike. If yiy a chain clean fetisjist you can consider a connex
quick link. The work great and are reliable but they add some bucks to
the already expensive chain.

Lou
Old August 7th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

schreef:

[...]

Lou- Hide quoted text -

Once I put a chain on a bike, it stays there until it gets replaced.
Assuming I do the chain at home, get the length right the first time
and take my time with the process I should be ok. Guess I'll go w/
the Ultegra. I'm just going to be annoyed if I get stranded miles
from home in the middle of the night on a broken chain. May get a
connex & a tiny chain tool for the saddle bag just in case I ever have
to make a roadside repair.
Old August 7th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 7 Aug, 15:27, DanKMTB wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:45 am, someone wrote:

On 7 Aug, 14:33, " wrote:

So I’m looking for my first replacement 10 speed chain, and am a bit
lost. *If you want to skip the more elaborate part of this and still
give your quick answer, anything wrong with this chain? *Any reason
not to use it and be done with it? *Sram PC 1030. *http://tinyurl..com/nzfbes
It’s $27, MSRP $33 and seems to be about the same as the rest. *257
grams, not that I care if my chain adds an ounce or not.

less than 3/32", poor lifespan.

Where are you finding chain width info, general searching or is there
a chart somewhere that compares most of the common ones?

I was under the impression the 10 speed chains were all stupidly
narrow. *Thanks for setting me straight there. *Upon further
investigation it appears the PC 1030 is listed as 5.95mm.

It appears the Ultegra CN-6600 is a bit wider and still 10 speed
compatible. *Listed as 6.1mm. *Any thoughts on this one? *http://tinyurl.com/ld87az

Also, I'm open to suggestions. *I want a reasonably priced chain that
will shift well and run quietly. *Longer life is next in line for
priorities, but not at the cost of clunky shifting or noisy
operation. *Saving a few grams is last on my list of concerns.

I only use what is currently known as seven speed. Shimano were
extremely good chain in this sizing. If you are going to put in the
effort of cleaning and prpoer lubrication, I think it is worthwhile
spending on chains. It is the drivechain and the tyres which have the
greatest influence on how the bike performs when related to cost. In
other words, spend more here and you will be rewarded, that is not to
say there arn't some bargains.
Old August 7th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

schreef:

[...]

There are four directions you can run a chain to maximise its life,
you're throwing this away if you never reverse or turn inside out.
After each clean and re-lube the chain should be fitted in an
alternative direction.
Old August 7th 09, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

schreef:

[...]

alternative direction.- Hide quoted text -

Hm. this may be worth considering. This is my first road bike, my
previous riding has been on 20" dirt jumping/skate park/BMX bikes &
MTB's. It's VERY rare (once in my life) I ever wore out a chain,
rather than just destrying it through actual damage. On the road bike
I'm actually experiencing chain wear, as I ride lots of miles without
any physical damage to the chain. The replacement pins for the
ultegra chains are cheap enough, maybe I'll give this rotate/flip
thing a go. How often do you do this?

May also just be worth getting a connex link to start with, so it
wears with the rest of the chain and I can flip/reverse it without
worrying about the pins.

I liked 7 & 8 speed drivetrains. My primary MTB has had 7 speed since
I got it in the 90's. Never felt the need for more. When I bought
the road bike it came with a 105 10 speed group, so that's what's on
there. I really don't think I need that precise a choice in gear
range, but it's what I've got, so it's what I use. I would not have
any of these qualms about pins or quiestions on chains if this were 7
speed. It's the new, thin 10 speed chains I'm new to and not sure
about.
Old August 7th 09, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Aug 7, 1:26*pm, DanKMTB wrote:
[...]

about.- Hide quoted text -

Another alternative, if I want the connex link, would be to just buy
the wipperman 10 speed chain, which comes with the connex link.
Substantially cheaper than the Ultegra chain + the connex link for
said shimano chain separately. It’s also what’s currently on the
bike, upon close inspection just now, and it did hold up quite well
for a while. It came stock with the 105 group and worked great for
many miles. Maybe I’ll just get another of those. http://tinyurl.com/lsjdgc
Old August 7th 09, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 7 Aug, 18:26, DanKMTB wrote:
On Aug 7, 1:05*pm, someone wrote:

There are four directions you can run a chain to maximise its life,
you're throwing this away if you never reverse or turn inside out.
After each clean and re-lube the chain should be fitted in an
alternative direction.-

*On the road bike
I'm actually experiencing chain wear, as I ride lots of miles without
any physical damage to the chain. *The replacement pins for the
ultegra chains are cheap enough, maybe I'll give this rotate/flip
thing a go. *How often do you do this?

My little chain squeaks for attention and says " wash me and grease me
up and I'll be ready for action". With re-usable rivets, you
automatically reverse direction or flip the chain to get the driven
out rivet in a position to drive in, using the tool in the same
position.

May also just be worth getting a connex link to start with, so it
wears with the rest of the chain and I can flip/reverse it without
worrying about the pins.

Yes, and keep your spare pins with your puncture kit.

I liked 7 & 8 speed drivetrains. *My primary MTB has had 7 speed since
I got it in the 90's. *Never felt the need for more.

more IS more.

*When I bought
the road bike it came with a 105 10 speed group, so that's what's on
there. *I really don't think I need that precise a choice in gear
range, but it's what I've got, so it's what I use. *I would not have
any of these qualms about pins or quiestions on chains if this were 7
speed. *It's the new, thin 10 speed chains I'm new to and not sure
about.

I'd rather not touch them.