MTB transport in a pickup truck

Old October 21st 04, 09:21 PM
Micheal Artindale

"Ferdinand" wrote in
message ...

I'm back into biking after a long hiatus. My question is this: What is
the least expensive way to transport a bike in the bed of a pickup
truck (F-150) without significant risk of damaging the bike. I could
just lay it down, like I used to do with my BMX bikes, but I'm
concerned that this might damage a mountain bike. Seems like the
downward pedal/crank will be pushed upward creating stress against the
frame via the bottom bracket. Admitadely, I'm not an engineer; can't
determine if this is a valid concern. Is this practice OK? I have
seen some carriers - bars that mount across the bed with receptacles
for the front fork - that I like, but are pretty expensive. After
buying a bike, helmet and some other odds and ends, it's tough for me
to come up with another $100+ for a carrier. Is that the only way to
go? Thanks in advance.

How about 2 large bungie cords and a cable lock.

I had a sonoma, and i always put it in the box. the bungie cords held it
from moving, and the cable lock deters theft.

Alturnatively, you could go out end get a carrier that goes into the
reciever for your trailer hitch, but those can be close to $100.

Micheal

Old October 22nd 04, 04:00 AM
Slacker

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:50:14 +1000, Ferdinand =

wrote:

I'm back into biking after a long hiatus. My question is this: What i=

the least expensive way to transport a bike in the bed of a pickup
truck (F-150) without significant risk of damaging the bike. I could
just lay it down, like I used to do with my BMX bikes, but I'm
concerned that this might damage a mountain bike. Seems like the
downward pedal/crank will be pushed upward creating stress against the=

frame via the bottom bracket. Admitadely, I'm not an engineer; can't
determine if this is a valid concern. Is this practice OK? I have
seen some carriers - bars that mount across the bed with receptacles
for the front fork - that I like, but are pretty expensive. After
buying a bike, helmet and some other odds and ends, it's tough for me
to come up with another $100+ for a carrier. Is that the only way to
go? Thanks in advance.

Moto tie down straps.

-- =

Slacker
Old October 22nd 04, 04:27 AM
Andy Mullins

Here's what I built for the back of my Chevy.
http://www.mxgeek.com/images/rack.jpg Pretty cheap if you can find someone
with old qr's they aren't using anymore.

Old October 22nd 04, 04:28 AM
miles todd

Ferdinand wrote:
I'm back into biking after a long hiatus. My question is this: What is
the least expensive way to transport a bike in the bed of a pickup
truck (F-150) without significant risk of damaging the bike. I could
just lay it down, like I used to do with my BMX bikes, but I'm
concerned that this might damage a mountain bike. Seems like the
downward pedal/crank will be pushed upward creating stress against the
frame via the bottom bracket. Admitadely, I'm not an engineer; can't
determine if this is a valid concern. Is this practice OK? I have
seen some carriers - bars that mount across the bed with receptacles
for the front fork - that I like, but are pretty expensive. After
buying a bike, helmet and some other odds and ends, it's tough for me
to come up with another $100+ for a carrier. Is that the only way to
go? Thanks in advance.

Throw it in the back. Just don't throw it too hard. It'll be OK.

miles
Old October 22nd 04, 04:32 AM
Pete

"Ferdinand" wrote

... it's tough for me
to come up with another $100+ for a carrier. Is that the only way to
go? Thanks in advance.

I built a lattice-type rack out of scrap 2x4 and 2x6.

2x6 spaced to hold the back wheel(s), bungie cord to hold the bike(s)
steady.
Maybe $15 if you buy all new materials.

I'll have to put a pic of it up somewhere.

Pete

Old October 22nd 04, 04:45 AM
Fleaman

[...]

I like to use a ratchet stap wrapped around the cross tube and hooked to the
bed rail, it keeps the bike upright and you can weave the strap around 5 or
so bikes so you can carry lots of them, it takes a bit of time and help to
get all the bike to stand up and set properly, but its all I have so thats
what I use, I am looking into doing the fork mounts on a board for next
year, it looks alot easier, but I think I will still put the ratchet strap
over the back tires.

Old October 22nd 04, 04:45 PM
Bryan

I'm back into biking after a long hiatus. My question is this: What is
the least expensive way to transport a bike in the bed of a pickup
truck (F-150) without significant risk of damaging the bike. I could
just lay it down, like I used to do with my BMX bikes, but I'm
concerned that this might damage a mountain bike. Seems like the
downward pedal/crank will be pushed upward creating stress against the
frame via the bottom bracket. Admitadely, I'm not an engineer; can't
determine if this is a valid concern. Is this practice OK? I have
seen some carriers - bars that mount across the bed with receptacles
for the front fork - that I like, but are pretty expensive. After
buying a bike, helmet and some other odds and ends, it's tough for me
to come up with another $100+ for a carrier. Is that the only way to
go? Thanks in advance.

I have an F-150 also. I went and bought one of these for $9.99:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4413

I then - shudder - drilled mounting holes in the rolled metal on the
front end of the bed on the upper inside edge. I bolted it to that edge.

cab
_

| __
| __| - where I drilled.
| |
| |

It's an older F-150, so this didn't bother me a whole lot. You could
also probably fabricate something with a couple 2x4's and plywood, keep
it from sliding around, and then just set that assembly on your bed,
using the same mounts.

I like it mounted on that front edge. I can just reach over, clamp it
in or unclamp it, and pull the bike out. No crawling in and out of the
back end of the pickup.

Bryan
Old October 22nd 04, 04:57 PM
bri719

don't just lie it down, it'll slide around too much in the back of your
truck, I know from experience. if you don't have a bedliner, it will
scratch up the bed and also do some cosmetic damage to the bike (pedals,
bars, fork, frame). not too much danger of damaging your bike via the
BB but why risk it.

the cheapest way to secure it for transport is motorcycle tie-downs to
the handlebars (Home Depot, about $15). this works quite well but won't
prevent theft if you need to park it anywhere...if you don't want to
mount a skewer-type mount in your truck bed (which is a little better
and locks are available), they have these removable bars that press
against the inside of your truck bed walls and you can secure the front
fork to those as well. I don't know a price but it's fairly inexpensive.

good luck,
bri

Ferdinand wrote:

[...]

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old October 22nd 04, 05:24 PM
Shawn

Ferdinand wrote:
I'm back into biking after a long hiatus. My question is this: What is
the least expensive way to transport a bike in the bed of a pickup
truck (F-150) without significant risk of damaging the bike. I could
just lay it down, like I used to do with my BMX bikes, but I'm
concerned that this might damage a mountain bike. Seems like the
downward pedal/crank will be pushed upward creating stress against the
frame via the bottom bracket. Admitadely, I'm not an engineer; can't
determine if this is a valid concern. Is this practice OK? I have
seen some carriers - bars that mount across the bed with receptacles
for the front fork - that I like, but are pretty expensive. After
buying a bike, helmet and some other odds and ends, it's tough for me
to come up with another $100+ for a carrier. Is that the only way to
go? Thanks in advance.

I have two of these:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...e.cfm?SKU=3702
bolted to a 2x4. If I forget where I put the "rack", I lay the bikes
down in the bed. No big deal. I figure if the bike can't handle
bouncing along in the back of a truck, I don't want to ride it down a
trail at 30 mph. I do try to avoid pedals in spokes or laying them on
their derailleurs, but its never been a problem.

Shawn