Pump it up!

Old July 30th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Pump it up!

Well, I went on my first Montreal today, which was nice. On the way
out from the bike path, I was flagged down
by a helpless female who had flatted but didn't have a pump or CO2
cartridge. Being happily married and
having zero "dragueur" instincts despite my many years in France, I
mostly
concentrated on chewing her out for not having the necessary equipment
as I changed her tube. She was
a beginner rider who had friends at the local bike shop who picked out
her equipment for her, so she had an excuse and she was continually
thanking me... In any case, I wasn't gentlemanly enough to do all the
work for her,
so I handed her my Zefal HPX pump http://www.yellowjersey.org/ZEFALP.JPG
and basically told her:
"This is the most powerful frame pump in the world, count up to 80 and
your tire will be at 90PSI." Shortly
after she started, her friends from the shop showed up, two club
racers. She quickly gave up pumping as she
couldn't go more than 30, and her racer friend took over. I put my
helmet back on and when I looked over again, he was pulling out a CO2
cartridge. I asked him what he was doing, as my pump could easily
reach the same pressure, I verified it myself. He told me that his arm
got tired at around 50 PSI and the cartridge would be easier.
I was quite surprised by this, but as I left mumbling to him about
working on upper body strength, I realised that mine wasn't so bad
after all.

-ilan

Old July 30th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

On the other hand you're really cool Ilan and most other people aren't.

Do I really need a floor pump? Will frame pump suffice? [email protected] Techniques 15 June 12th 06 08:44 PM
175 lb pump Sparky Techniques 7 May 21st 06 12:57 PM
which pump to get? [email protected] General 28 April 20th 05 06:48 PM
Zefal Husky pump doesn't pump Timothy J. Lee General 2 January 24th 05 05:25 PM
Using a Track Pump as a Shock Pump? DC Techniques 1 February 13th 04 01:41 AM