Rolling mount on a Coker

Old April 10th 05, 01:36 AM
bugman

Default Rolling mount on a Coker

After riding 23 miles recently, I am realizing the potential usefulness
of roll mounting a Coker. When I get tired, and my legs feel like
noodles, a regular mount is exhausting. I use way too much energy, and
miss way too many mounts. This is really made harder due to my lack of
height.

I can do a rolling mount on a 20 inch no problem, and haven't really
tried on my Muni since it has 170's.

I already looked at Andrew Carters site, and it didn't have this mount
for a Coker, only for smaller wheels.

I realize it will take practice, but I am not really sure about # of
steps, seat placement, pedal position etc...

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

-* [ F O N T = c e n t u r y g o t h i c ] ' H e l p C u r e D i a
b e t e s b y S u p p o r t i n g M y R i d e ' ( h t t p : /
/ t i n y u r l . c o m / 6 8 m k v ) [ / F O N T ] * -

*Fund Raising Honor Roll*
Kathy Susanka

Old April 10th 05, 02:06 AM
munipsycho

John Drummond of www.unicycle.com showed me once. I think I put the
pedals at 12 and 6, pushed, and stepped onto the rear pedal around 7-8
on the up-swing, and rode up onto the seat.

That said, I only did it once or twice, and that was a while ago. (And
I don't remember exactly how or when the front foot got placed.)

(Maybe you could get John to diagram it though. He's very helpful.)

--
munipsycho - CrashTestDummies are us.

=====================
The UniSkills Assessment: www.munipsycho.com/uniskills_2.jsp

I can fly too. But I can only fly down.
-Little Bear

Imagine all the people
Riding on one wheel.
J. Lennon. (paraphrased)
munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589

Old April 10th 05, 02:20 AM
bugman

Back from the Beach? Did you have a good time?

I have watched a couple of people do it including John, all before I had
a Coker. I didn't pay too close atention. Guess I should have. That
reminds me though that the introductory video from unicycle.com may have
him and Roger Davies mounting. I'll have to look for it.

Old April 10th 05, 02:27 AM
johnfoss

Before I got my Coker, I had a 45" wheel for 20 years. Rolling mount all
the way. It may not be a strict rolling mount, as the wheel doesn't roll
while you're jumping on.

1. Walk forward, rolling the uni in front of you.

2. As your dominant pedal comes up in the rear, jump up with some
forward momentum, stepping onto the pedal when it's at the horizontal
point or a little before (not after).

3. Your goal is to end up on top of the wheel with just enough momentum
to take you past the top (without this you can't go anywhere).

4. As you come up over the top, start pedaling. When done right, you
start with the forward momentum of your walking. The wheel more or less
stops while you jump up, but your body continues the forward momentum
the whole time.

5. Repeat until it gets easy.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old April 10th 05, 02:38 AM
munipsycho

bugman wrote:
*Back from the Beach? Did you have a good time? *

Wunderbar! Kids had a blast.

Stephanie (7 yrs old) did a long Uni ride on the b*ke path along the
beach. She really loves the attention she gets when she rides. It
proved a great motivator. Her free mounts are improving, as is her
general technique.

The ocean was great, too. ;-)

Want to MUni early Sunday? (I'm unavailable all next week.)

Old April 10th 05, 03:04 AM
bugman

Normally, yes to the early morning Muni. I have a termite job at 9am,
and will be there at least 5 hours.

Old April 10th 05, 03:16 AM
U-Turn

Beautiful description, John. That will help me out. Thanks!

--
U-Turn - As long as my feet keep movin'...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old April 10th 05, 05:55 PM
goldenchicken

U-Turn wrote:
*Beautiful description, John. That will help me out. Thanks! *

Since I learned idling last autumn I never mount a uni without idling a
stroke or two before moving forward. This I found good practise in
almost all circumstances EXCEPT on the coker. That thing is soo heavy.
Especially in the end of a long ride with many mounts. Problem is I can
no longer mount and ride without first doing the idling thing.
Impossible. Really annoying!

I hope the mount John describes will help me get the wheel going right
away without any preliminaries.

This is the first skill I have to train in order to get rid of. Wonder
if there will be any more?

--
goldenchicken - Olaf Johansson
goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

Old April 11th 05, 12:52 AM
john_childs

goldenchicken wrote:
*This is the first skill I have to train in order to get rid of.
Wonder if there will be any more? *

The graceful dismount skill can take some work to unlearn. You'll find
that you have to push yourself more by doing more difficult skills and
more aggressive riding to avoid doing a graceful dismount.

I usually use the same style of mount that John Foss describes. I like
to call it a forward momentum mount rather than a rolling mount because
it is not a true rolling mount. But a forward momentum mount is not a
regular name for a mount so if you call it a forward momentum mount no
one knows what you're talking about. A catch 22. So I end up calling
it a rolling mount.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

Old April 11th 05, 01:36 AM
unicyclepa

I just went out and tryed this mount it only took a few mins than i got
it. i just jumped when my domint pedal was strate down and landed on it
when i was leval back towards me. love this mount espachaly for the
coker

--
unicyclepa

www.unicyclepa.com
we suck
but its all good
unicyclepa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9246

Rolling Trials HardcoreCokerRider Unicycling 46 January 28th 05 03:33 AM
'Rolling' Mount(s) UniBrier Unicycling 7 November 24th 04 03:22 AM
Thoughts on my coker, after 100 miles of riding. billham Unicycling 76 August 25th 04 03:29 PM
Coker and Flywheel effect Klaas Bil Unicycling 53 October 31st 03 11:40 PM