On ear buds and hearing things in traffic

Old November 20th 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default On ear buds and hearing things in traffic

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ge...-riding/94917/

About the only useful thing Bicycle Network has produced, AFAICT~!

--
JS
Old November 20th 13, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:09:39 PM UTC-5, James wrote:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ge...-riding/94917/

About the only useful thing Bicycle Network has produced, AFAICT~!

Related: http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/hearing.htm

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 20th 13, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:17:27 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:09:39 PM UTC-5, James wrote:

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ge...-riding/94917/

About the only useful thing Bicycle Network has produced, AFAICT~!

Related: http://www.bikexprt.com/bicycle/hearing.htm

At a glance both (especially the 2nd) seem to be from the
perspective of people who want to justify their desire to
listen to music (or whatever) while riding.

Hearing is incredibly important to my situational awareness.
Hearing not only tells you there is a car coming, but quite
a bit of information about its size, speed, etc. More than
that, the size and speed in combination with tribal knowledge
about where you are can tell a lot about what's going on.
More than that, hearing can give immensely useful subtle
information such as the driver's throttle control, braking,
etc. - behavior information which can be extrapolated with
the tribal knowledge and all other aspects of situational
awareness to even give clues about the driver's state of
mind and even attitude toward bicyclists on the road (!)

Personally I would never want to attenuate or preoccupy
my sense of hearing while riding a bike. If other people
find bike riding too boring and need something to listen
to... well, I'm not one to tell other people what is right
for them. I might tell them, though, how very important
situational awareness is to me.

It's even more than that - and more than just traffic -
but this is a long enough reply to this topic for now.
Old November 20th 13, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:16:28 PM UTC, Dan O wrote:
[...]

Well said, sir!

Andre Jute
Old November 21st 13, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 09:16:28 -0800 (PST), Dan O
wrote:

[...]

Years ago, when I ran, I tried carrying a tape player and found that I
ignored it most of the time so gave it up. I've never carried one on a
bicycle but I find that boredom, for want of another word, isn't a
problem as I have a lot of other things to think about - "this hill
sure seems steep today", "this is where that bad dog is", "Ohoo look
at that girl".
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 21st 13, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-20-2013, 12:16, Dan O wrote:
More than that, hearing can give immensely useful subtle
information such as the driver's throttle control, braking,
etc. - behavior information which can be extrapolated with
the tribal knowledge and all other aspects of situational
awareness to even give clues about the driver's state of
mind and even attitude toward bicyclists on the road (!)

This guy is one of the following:

- a situational awareness deity
- blind from birth
- a heck of a liar
- extremely deluded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1QaCeosUmw

I saw my blind friend in college crossing the parking lot.
I placed my self in her path and waited. She stopped two or
three feet from me, and after about five seconds, said, "Wes?"

Was I breathing heavy, or do I just stink? :-)

--
Wes Groleau

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated
than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
— Thomas Jefferson

Traffic Citations & Traffic Cops Freddie Mountain Biking 0 March 23rd 06 05:02 AM
We keep hearing about cyclists MichaelB General 6 January 20th 06 06:51 AM
We keep hearing about cyclists Tom Keats Recumbent Biking 25 January 16th 06 09:07 PM
Hamilton hearing amit Racing 1 January 15th 06 04:40 PM
Going to Moab, losing my buds Joel Crum Mountain Biking 12 October 5th 04 02:17 AM