The Force Strikes Back

Old November 23rd 13, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Blue Heeler[_4_]

Default The Force Strikes Back

John B. wrote:

How does one get arrested, for a triviality? I thought that under U.S.
law to be arrested an order from the court was required or to be
caught in obvious violation of a law?

I have thought the accents would have been a dead giveaway.

But just in case, you should be aware that contrary to the belief of
many Americans, US law does not generally apply outside of US borders.

In more civilised areas of the planet the way it works is that there is
a statutory code that defines crimes/misdemeanours etc or an inherited
system of common law that deals with wrongs and intent to commit wrongs.

However, here, as in the USA, such codification does not protect a
citizen from a cop who simply ignores the law, as in the video we are
discussing.

Other places on the planet, notably Australia, are very good at dealing
with rogue cops once they are discovered. USA, not so much.
Old November 23rd 13, 11:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 23 Nov 2013 00:25:23 GMT, "Blue Heeler" wrote:

John B. wrote:

How does one get arrested, for a triviality? I thought that under U.S.
law to be arrested an order from the court was required or to be
caught in obvious violation of a law?

I have thought the accents would have been a dead giveaway.

They likely would have been had I watched the movie. Although perhaps
not. I remember when Rolf Harris visited the states years ago. He was
on (I believe) the Ed Sullivan show and sang Tie Me Kangaroo Down.
Couldn't understand hardly a word he said :-)

But just in case, you should be aware that contrary to the belief of
many Americans, US law does not generally apply outside of US borders.

It doesn't. Damn! I wonder what I was doing over there in Vietnam
making the world safe from Communism :-)

In more civilised areas of the planet the way it works is that there is
a statutory code that defines crimes/misdemeanours etc or an inherited
system of common law that deals with wrongs and intent to commit wrongs.

However, here, as in the USA, such codification does not protect a
citizen from a cop who simply ignores the law, as in the video we are
discussing.

Other places on the planet, notably Australia, are very good at dealing
with rogue cops once they are discovered. USA, not so much.

Yes, I've heard that in W.A. they have automated the speed cameras so
that the camera snaps your picture and the computer mails you the
fine.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 23rd 13, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/#q=law+enforc...probable+cause

Old November 23rd 13, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

John B. writes:

On 22 Nov 2013 10:47:24 GMT, "Blue Heeler" wrote:

Peter Howard wrote:

"persecuted"? What rot! The "victim" decided to break the law and
then whined like a little child when he was apprehended and booked.
If he thinks it's a bad law he should take it up with the legislature
rather than take it out on the police officer. If he considers
himself a freedom rider engaged in civil disobedience he should get a
few thousand followers first who will fight the tickets so that the
clogging up of the lower court calendars becomes noticeable and
attracts media attention. I also got the impression that this law
breaker has been booked in the recent past, maybe for the same
offence, maybe by the very same police officer. If he is a serial
offender, being booked every time he is detected committing an
offence is not persecution. It's simply the risk he chooses to take.
PH

Now let's see here.

The Policeman threatens arrest for a triviality, then says that he will
arrange that bail, something that any accused person has a presumption
of being eligible for, unless the Police are able to show some very
good reasons why bail should not be granted, will be denied.

Finally the policeman uses the threat of homosexual rape as a lever to
obtain compliance with his demands.

In any proper society that soon to be ex-policemen would do hard time.

How does one get arrested, for a triviality? I thought that under U.S.
law to be arrested an order from the court was required or to be
caught in obvious violation of a law?

Here's a guy being arrested for picking his children up from school,
without waiting in a line of cars. Unfortunately not quite on topic,
because he walks up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4310672.html

Old November 23rd 13, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-23-2013, 14:53, Radey Shouman wrote:
Here's a guy being arrested for picking his children up from school,
without waiting in a line of cars. Unfortunately not quite on topic,
because he walks up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4310672.html

After reading it, I include the offense was not getting out of his car,
but rather being an ass about it.

And I miss the days before a school bus became widely considered an
intolerable inconvenience.

My kids walked a mile to school because they thought the bus was an
inconvenience. Took them a while to accept the fact that we weren't
going to drive two miles and sit in line for thirty minutes just to
ensure they get no exercise.

--
Wes Groleau

"What progress we are making! In the Middle Ages, they would have
burnt me; nowadays they are content with burning my books.”
— Sigmund Freud, 1933
"He was never to know that even that was only an illusory progress,
that ten years later they would have burned his body as well.”
— Ernest Jones, 1953

Old November 24th 13, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 18:03:33 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-23-2013, 14:53, Radey Shouman wrote:
Here's a guy being arrested for picking his children up from school,
without waiting in a line of cars. Unfortunately not quite on topic,
because he walks up:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4310672.html

After reading it, I include the offense was not getting out of his car,
but rather being an ass about it.

And I miss the days before a school bus became widely considered an
intolerable inconvenience.

My kids walked a mile to school because they thought the bus was an
inconvenience. Took them a while to accept the fact that we weren't
going to drive two miles and sit in line for thirty minutes just to
ensure they get no exercise.

It used to be that people walked. I walked about a mile to school from
the first grade and my father walked about a mile to work unless it
was raining or snowing heavily for most of his working life. And, we
weren't considered some kind of weird family... most people walked to
work and school. In fact it was against the school rules to drive to
school.

Today, if you tell someone that you walked a mile to school in the
first grade they think you are an awful liar.

I suspect that evolution will eventually result in a human with two
long limber thumbs and tiny little legs :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 24th 13, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

just in...

http://www.timeslive.co.za/world/201...is-teenage-son

NUX strikes again Nick[_4_] UK 8 September 10th 12 03:27 PM
Evans strikes back Keith Racing 70 October 4th 09 06:09 PM
N+1 strikes again Duracell Bunny Australia 13 September 25th 06 05:44 AM
Scamdium strikes again! Phil Lee, Squid Techniques 23 July 30th 06 04:02 PM
Hell Ride (the Empire strikes back) Hitchy Australia 109 March 30th 04 03:27 AM