Wake up & smell the coffee

Old December 31st 19, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Wake up & smell the coffee

or your burning wheels maybe

https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a29...carbon-wheels/

Although you might not expect your average human to be so
dimwitted, this has been going on for as long as I've been
around bicycles. And the surprised looks are just precious.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 31st 19, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:55:57 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
or your burning wheels maybe

https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a29...carbon-wheels/

Although you might not expect your average human to be so
dimwitted, this has been going on for as long as I've been
around bicycles. And the surprised looks are just precious.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I had a talk to Hambini about carbon wheels. He said almost all of them are made in China so anyone saying that paying $1,700 for a set of wheels gives you anything better than the $300 pair without a name on them doesn't have a lot on the ball.
Old January 1st 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 3:46:16 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 12:55:57 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
or your burning wheels maybe

https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a29...carbon-wheels/

Although you might not expect your average human to be so
dimwitted, this has been going on for as long as I've been
around bicycles. And the surprised looks are just precious.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I had a talk to Hambini about carbon wheels. He said almost all of them are made in China so anyone saying that paying $1,700 for a set of wheels gives you anything better than the $300 pair without a name on them doesn't have a lot on the ball.

I'm listening to the Chinese Beatles. Anyone who pays for the actual Beatles is a dope. BTW: https://www.amersports.com/2017/07/e...manufacturing/ Happy new year!

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 1st 20, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 12/31/2019 12:55 PM, AMuzi wrote:
or your burning wheels maybe

https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a29...carbon-wheels/

Although you might not expect your average human to be so dimwitted,
this has been going on for as long as I've been around bicycles. And the
surprised looks are just precious.

Huh! Does anyone know, is it supposed to be just the exhaust
temperature that causes this, or some chemical reaction to the exhaust?

(I wouldn't have thought exhaust could get a rim that hot unless the rim
was within a very few inches of the tailpipe - and I assume hitch racks
don't hold rims that close to the pipe - but then, I don't use hitch racks).

Mark J.
Old January 1st 20, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 12:04:25 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Nope, you missed the point, Jay. What Tom is telling you is that you'd be an idiot for letting someone charge you 7x for the Chinese Beatles because you believe a "Liverpool" label makes your disc better than the Chinese Beatles. You're still just getting the Chinese Beatles. You could have saved 6/7th of what you paid, and you'd still have the same Chinese Beatles disc.

Andre Jute
There's one born every minute -- P T Barnum
Old January 1st 20, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 4:32:43 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Not to jump on this too quickly . . . but a Reynolds or HED wheel from China is not the same as a Yougofast.com wheel from China. That Alibaba crap is crap, and Tom's experience proves the point. You get what you pay for.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 1st 20, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 1, 2020 at 12:32:43 AM UTC, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Of course, you can also do it the other way round. I have a Cane Creek S8 headset on my fave bike but it's a copy -- made by Cane Creek for Humpert. So, for about 40% of the list price, I get American design know-how from the inventors of the threadless headset, made from the original blueprint by the original manufacturers, supervised and quality-controlled by a no-doubt obsessed German engineer. Oh, and the Cane Creek name is on it to impress the cafe racers sitting at the garage on the last roundabout out of town sipping bad coffee; nah, of course they don't know the history, so I patronise them a little. What's not to like?

Andre Jute
I'm too poor to fit anything but the best
Old January 1st 20, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 16:19:30 -0800, Mark J. wrote:

On 12/31/2019 12:55 PM, AMuzi wrote:
or your burning wheels maybe

https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a29...rack-might-be-

damaging-your-carbon-wheels/

Although you might not expect your average human to be so dimwitted,
this has been going on for as long as I've been around bicycles. And
the surprised looks are just precious.

Huh! Does anyone know, is it supposed to be just the exhaust
temperature that causes this, or some chemical reaction to the exhaust?

An easy Yes and mre. There is whole host of chemical componds coming out
a car/MV's exhaust. The heat warms stuff open and "opens the pores' so to
speak.

(I wouldn't have thought exhaust could get a rim that hot unless the rim
was within a very few inches of the tailpipe - and I assume hitch racks
don't hold rims that close to the pipe - but then, I don't use hitch
racks).

Depends on the hitch, frame size and mounting methods, but can be an
easily overlooked future problem.

Old January 1st 20, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/31/2019 12:55 PM, AMuzi wrote:
or your burning wheels maybe

https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a29...carbon-wheels/

Although you might not expect your average human to be so dimwitted,
this has been going on for as long as I've been around bicycles. And the
surprised looks are just precious.

I recall bumper mount bike racks, back when cars had real bumpers, and
some had the bicycle hanging so low that the exhaust melted the tires.

But the hitch racks I use have the wheels in a tray, they don't hang the
bicycle by two arms or use a clamp and they hold the bicycles pretty
high above the tailpipe. With a carbon fiber frame you'd want to use a
hitch rack where the wheels sat in a tray.
Old January 1st 20, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/31/2019 4:43 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Not to jump on this too quickly . . . but a Reynolds or HED wheel from China is not the same as a Yougofast.com wheel from China. That Alibaba crap is crap, and Tom's experience proves the point. You get what you pay for.

My carbon fiber wheels from Big Barking Dog Wheel Company #3 is the best.

Wake Me When The Tour Starts [email protected] Racing 1 June 7th 13 06:29 AM
Time for T-Mobile to wake-up ? Keith Racing 0 July 22nd 06 06:34 PM
wake up call Mick Australia 19 July 9th 06 09:33 AM
Wake me up... Kenny Racing 4 January 11th 06 09:30 PM
Wake up Tom, here's your 3rd message! yourbuddy Racing 1 December 20th 05 03:18 AM