Anyone familiar with Reese Explore bike racks?

Old June 29th 16, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Newman[_2_]

Default Anyone familiar with Reese Explore bike racks?

I am considering buying a Reese Explore bike rack from U-Haul who is probably going to install the hitch. I realize that U-Haul may not be the place to go for top brand stuff but the price and features are right. It holds 4 bike in the conventional fashion (I've seen some of theirs shaped like a V). Not only does the rack tilt down to open the trunk/tail gate like most, you can also lower just the arms. Waddaya think has anyone had any experience with these or U-Haul hitches in general?

Thanks in advance... Bob
Old June 29th 16, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/29/2016 1:12 PM, Bob Newman wrote:
I am considering buying a Reese Explore bike rack from U-Haul who is probably going to install the hitch. I realize that U-Haul may not be the place to go for top brand stuff but the price and features are right. It holds 4 bike in the conventional fashion (I've seen some of theirs shaped like a V). Not only does the rack tilt down to open the trunk/tail gate like most, you can also lower just the arms. Waddaya think has anyone had any experience with these or U-Haul hitches in general?

Thanks in advance... Bob

I don't know about the bike rack but UHaul are experts on
receiver hitch installation.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 29th 16, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Newman[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 2:45:30 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/29/2016 1:12 PM, Bob Newman wrote:
I am considering buying a Reese Explore bike rack from U-Haul who is probably going to install the hitch. I realize that U-Haul may not be the place to go for top brand stuff but the price and features are right. It holds 4 bike in the conventional fashion (I've seen some of theirs shaped like a V). Not only does the rack tilt down to open the trunk/tail gate like most, you can also lower just the arms. Waddaya think has anyone had any experience with these or U-Haul hitches in general?

Thanks in advance... Bob

I don't know about the bike rack but UHaul are experts on
receiver hitch installation.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I figured they knew what they were doing regarding hitches. Couldn't find the rack anywhere on the web, except eBay. I didn't take that as a good sign.

Bob
Old June 29th 16, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 6/29/2016 11:54 AM, Bob Newman wrote:
[...]

Also look at http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?keyword=bike+rack

I've installed hitches on three cars. The difficulty varied slightly but
it was not terribly hard except on one where a bolt hole just did not
line up.

Old June 30th 16, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Newman[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 6:18:31 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

The thing I'm trying to find out here it if the Reese Explore bike rack is any good.

Thanks... Bob
Old June 30th 16, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 7:35:56 PM UTC-4, Bob Newman wrote:
[...]

well, a UHAUL rack would not be inferior but the comparison of cost/price/use ability/ ...?

I would take a gander at the joint bolts ...but you would clean n lubricate the joints before or after use, right ?

https://goo.gl/MlJB0d

Build my DIY hitch platform n sell it when you get too old to ride.
Old June 30th 16, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

OK the hitch needs 2 diagonal braces off th main strut running down to two u tubes coming out from under the vehicle then mating with the diagonal struts.

the hitch bar needs a beneath extension also a U running out to the top bars end.

at that point 2 more diagonal struts horizontal this time from the U running out from under to the end of the U recently suggested under the top bars end.

in aluminum if you can afford that.

what is UHAUL's rig made off steel or aluminum ?

Old June 30th 16, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/29/2016 6:35 PM, Bob Newman wrote:
[...]

Our gracious and mature contributors here seem not to have
any opinion and remarkably haven't blathered off topic either.

I'm big on Saris bike racks, our local product.
http://saris.com/catalog/racks#filter-9=on

Old July 2nd 16, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

$aris

https://www.google.com/search?q=sari...UICSgC&dpr=1.3

why chose the Bones one upright design over a platform design ?

Old July 2nd 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 8:23:20 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:

$aris

https://www.google.com/search?q=sari...UICSgC&dpr=1.3

why chose the Bones one upright design over a platform design ?

Local Noise chimed in that HANGING RACKS and more aero than PLATFORM HITCH RACKS.

That function would be true by a factor of what ? can you feel that ?

explore.ordnancesurvey.co.uk Steve UK 9 October 30th 07 10:49 AM
Anyone familiar with this road bike? k2 General 3 June 22nd 07 05:27 PM
Explore the Interior skaniusz General 3 June 15th 07 10:14 AM
Is anyone familiar with this make+model of folding bike? Drake UK 36 October 22nd 06 06:13 PM
RR Bernard Pk Explore small change Mountain Biking 3 May 30th 05 04:28 PM