RIPS Nuovo Record bottom bracket

Old June 25th 16, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Default RIPS Nuovo Record bottom bracket

You gave 44 years of valiant service, and only started to make noise this
spring.

We'll see how your replacement fares.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old June 25th 16, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 4:29:20 PM UTC-7, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
You gave 44 years of valiant service, and only started to make noise this
spring.

We'll see how your replacement fares.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

What did you get for a replacement -- and what kind of frame? Most any of threaded BBs on the market will give you relatively quiet service and will be more weather resistant than a NR. The sound spectacular comes with the various press fit formats, IMO.

I'm about to head out on a newly fitted PF30 BB on my plastic Cannondale. The old one developed a nasty snapping sound, so I pressed in a new one. One of the bearings was shot, and I don't have all that much confidence in the discount replacement -- but who wants to spend $100 for a wear item, e.g. a Chris King or other super high-end BB. I'm certainly not going to waste my money on ceramic bearings.

IMO, the biggest bang for the buck is the $16-20 Ultegra BB and a Hollowtech two-piece crank. Chainring replacement is much more expensive than the NR, but the Shimano offering is lighter, stiffer and probably less prone to breakage. I broke a bunch of '70s era NR cranks.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 25th 16, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Default R.I.P. Nuovo Record bottom bracket

jbeattie wrote in
:

[...]

The frame is a 1972 Columbus-tubed Torpado that I would like to keep as
Italian as I can. My LBS is ordering a modern Campagnolo replacement at
CAD130 (plus shipping) from Marinoni in Montreal. Unfortunately, my need
coincided with Québec's "Fête nationale" and Marinoni won't open again
till Monday. I could have it completed by Thursday afternoon.

http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/
Old June 28th 16, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Andrew Chaplin wrote:
:You gave 44 years of valiant service, and only started to make noise this
:spring.

Have you replaced the balls?

--
sig 57
Old June 28th 16, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-25 08:20, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
jbeattie wrote in
:

[...]

Here's hoping that it won't say "Prodotto in Cina" somewhere on there :-)

... Unfortunately, my need
coincided with Québec's "Fête nationale" and Marinoni won't open again
till Monday. I could have it completed by Thursday afternoon.

http://www.marinoni.qc.ca/

Maybe a spritz of Tri-Flow can nurse the BB along for a few more days?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old June 28th 16, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2016-06-25 08:20, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
jbeattie wrote in
:

Chaplin wrote:
[...]

Joerg, when/if you actually run into a Campagnolo 1046a
crank bearing, PLEASE don't shoot it with spray lube.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/212946173.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 28th 16, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-25 08:20, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
jbeattie wrote in
:

Chaplin wrote:
[...]

Yes, I know, I know. But it looks like Andrew C. wanted to chuck it
anyhow after he receives the replacement. I've done similar things, for
example lubing a lock with Tri-Flow where someone told me to never do
that. I wanted to replace it later because of recalcitrant operation.
Immediately afterwards it worked as new. That was about 10 years ago and
it's still in there. It just needs a new spritz every 2-3 years. I also
bought a big can and a spout bottle of Tri-Flow. Wish they made ball
bearing grease because my trusty old Dutch stuff is running out due to
too much mountain biking.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/wdc/212946173.html

:-)

Old June 29th 16, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On 2016-06-25 08:20, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
jbeattie wrote in
:

Chaplin wrote:
[...]

And, at a reduced price :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 29th 16, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 29/06/16 04:54, Joerg wrote:

Maybe a spritz of Tri-Flow can nurse the BB along for a few more days?

That would likely make things worse but flushing more dirt in and
flushing any remaining grease out.

Service it properly or not at all.

--
JS
Old June 29th 16, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-06-28 19:43, James wrote:
On 29/06/16 04:54, Joerg wrote:

Maybe a spritz of Tri-Flow can nurse the BB along for a few more days?

That would likely make things worse but flushing more dirt in and
flushing any remaining grease out.

Service it properly or not at all.

It was meant to tide him over until the new BB arrives and he gets
around to installing it, to milk another 2-3 rides from it. BTDT,
worked. Not with a BB but similar things.

I have stuff like that in my youth when good BBs for bicycles were
unavailable or way expensive. The cotter pins on the cranks kept wearing
out so one day I began the habit of welding the cranks to the shaft. No
more dreaded cotter pins. Wonderful! Of course, this imprisoned the BB
and installing a new one required cutting the shaft. A small price to
pay for that level of reliability.