Wheel build humbug - for RBT veterans

Old July 5th 16, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ray Tracer

Default Wheel build humbug - for RBT veterans

I rode briefly the other day behind one of Jobst's sons - inheritor of
"the bike". Imagine then if you will, the spectacle of watching the rear
wheel wobbling about 10mm (+/- 5mm) such that the rear caliper cable
release had to be flipped open. (Yes, it was the original 6-speed
shimano, MA2 rim.)

Absolutely priceless. All those years of blowhard puffery laid bare in
the end - the bull****ting old humbug couldn't build a wheel after all.
I had to stop and hug a parking meter I was laughing so hard.

Old July 5th 16, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 05/07/16 14:07, Ray Tracer wrote:
I rode briefly the other day behind one of Jobst's sons - inheritor of
"the bike". Imagine then if you will, the spectacle of watching the rear
wheel wobbling about 10mm (+/- 5mm) such that the rear caliper cable
release had to be flipped open. (Yes, it was the original 6-speed
shimano, MA2 rim.)

Absolutely priceless. All those years of blowhard puffery laid bare in
the end - the bull****ting old humbug couldn't build a wheel after all.
I had to stop and hug a parking meter I was laughing so hard.

Any idea how many thousands of miles and over what terrain that wheel
had supported a Brandt?

--
JS
Old July 5th 16, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 15:22:52 +1000, James
wrote:

On 05/07/16 14:07, Ray Tracer wrote:
I rode briefly the other day behind one of Jobst's sons - inheritor of
"the bike". Imagine then if you will, the spectacle of watching the rear
wheel wobbling about 10mm (+/- 5mm) such that the rear caliper cable
release had to be flipped open. (Yes, it was the original 6-speed
shimano, MA2 rim.)

Absolutely priceless. All those years of blowhard puffery laid bare in
the end - the bull****ting old humbug couldn't build a wheel after all.
I had to stop and hug a parking meter I was laughing so hard.

Any idea how many thousands of miles and over what terrain that wheel
had supported a Brandt?

I had a rear wheel spoke snapped the other day. Had to ride about 15
Km with the rear brake open as far as I could get it :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 5th 16, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/5/2016 12:22 AM, James wrote:
On 05/07/16 14:07, Ray Tracer wrote:
I rode briefly the other day behind one of Jobst's sons -
inheritor of
"the bike". Imagine then if you will, the spectacle of
watching the rear
wheel wobbling about 10mm (+/- 5mm) such that the rear
caliper cable
release had to be flipped open. (Yes, it was the original
6-speed
shimano, MA2 rim.)

Absolutely priceless. All those years of blowhard puffery
laid bare in
the end - the bull****ting old humbug couldn't build a
wheel after all.
I had to stop and hug a parking meter I was laughing so hard.

Any idea how many thousands of miles and over what terrain
that wheel had supported a Brandt?

No idea.
It's been ridden by someone else for seven years.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 5th 16, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/5/2016 9:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind, we could be reading fiction, and Ray Tracer could be a
pseudonym sock puppet. We've had those before.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 5th 16, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

What's your day job, "Ray Tracer"? Monday morning quarterback? Resident idiot at the school for the mentally underprivileged?

I fail to find any trace of you standing up to Jobst while he was alive, and I must say, you waited an awfully long time to be certain he was really dead and couldn't put you down as you deserve to be put down, like vermin.

Andre Jute
Now let us praise famous men -- Ecclesiastes

Old July 5th 16, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 7:36:24 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/5/2016 9:13 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Per Jobst standards, this would have been a 36 hole with 15/16 spokes on a Campy 126mm hub -- with probably about 130-140 kgf on oiled spoke nipples (if he followed his rule of thumb for determining maximum tension).

After 25-30 years of hard riding, it is easy to imagine a spoke hole cracking and the socket creeping through the rim wall. That happened to me on an MA2. Not to give credence to the story, but determining tension based on the soft-taco approach (whether stress-relieving induces a gross wobble) produces some really high tensions. Then again, Jobst may have used a tensiometer (and not a rule of thumb) when he built the wheel in question. Who knows. The whole thing could be made up.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 6th 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Short version:
On Tuesday jbeattie wrote:
After 25-30 years of hard riding....

Below is the long version as well.

Andre Jute

Old July 6th 16, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/5/2016 6:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
... Who knows. The whole thing could be made up.

Personally, I figured that Jim Beam just picked a new pseudonym.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 9th 16, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lars Lehtonen[_2_]

Wheel Build Chris Taylor[_3_] Techniques 16 May 14th 11 08:41 AM
Wheel build Chris Taylor Techniques 20 February 6th 11 01:09 PM
wheel build Chris Taylor Racing 13 February 6th 11 10:37 AM
Wheel build Robert Lorenzini Techniques 12 September 4th 07 04:12 PM
Disc Wheel Build Build Suggestions osobailo Techniques 2 October 5th 04 01:55 PM