MTB disc brake caused wild fire

Old April 9th 18, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 12:40:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:28:31 PM UTC+2, Roger Merriman wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, April 7, 2018 at 2:38:10 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:

Drafting or tailgating are essentially the same thing, hyper milers use it
in cars as well, it’s more acceptable for roadies but doesn’t make it
safer, clearly if your within thinking distance, hence the group crash’s
you see in races.

I'm sure racing is much riskier than ordinary riding. And I'm sure that drafting
or riding side by side is somewhat more dangerous than riding separated by two
or three seconds.

By the same token, it's maybe a little safer to walk while wearing a clown
costume, install super-bright head and taillights on all kids' tricycles, never
shake hands with anybody, never go out in public without a surgical mask...

The question is, must we always do whatever is safest? Wouldn't it be more
logical to evaluate benefits vs. detriments?

- Frank Krygowski

Clearly there are benefits, in that it reduces drag, and is if club run or
mates it’s clearly more social.

But clearly also if your drafting you relying on riders to avoid hazards,
to tell you what’s happening, and not to break any more than gently. It’s
not just theoretical, hit somethings speed and it can and does for some,
end up life changing or ending.

That you can do something risky with out seemingly to pay for it, folks
tailgate at high speed and what not for years.

Personally I don’t like big groups, but am quite happy in small groups
though I tend not to close too close.

Roger Merriman

Couple of years ago I was riding alone and catching up on a 10-15 man group. I was negotiating with myself if I would ride with them home because there was a fierce headwind. I decided not to because they were a little bit slow, the group was too large (always people who don't pay attention or just hanging on) and I didn't trust the last riders. I think that was one of the better decision I made. They went left, I went right at the end of the road. When I was home I saw a post on a news website that a cyclist was killen that evening. Happened to be one of the guys of that group. The group had to overtake some people walking along the road while a truck was coming from the opposite direction. Classic front wheel/back wheel situation and that rider fell in front of the truck. In a split second he was done riding. It made quite an impression on me.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OI5jRAGjjiroEkll2

From that moment I don't ride with unknown groups and groups larger than 10 people. There is a little memorial along side that road and every time I pass that it reminds me of my decision. **** happens but you can do your best to avoid it. YYMV.

Riding with any group of strangers has risks, and you can usually judge the skill and character of other riders pretty quickly. I'll usually have some sort of dialog or meet-and-greet before riding with anyone, although there have been times when I've just gotten absorbed and then ridden along.

The flip side of the bad story is that I've made life long friends from chance meetings just riding along in a pack or getting in with a pack. After moving to Portland, I got back into racing because I kept running into the same club riding laps through the West Hills. They invited me to ride with them, which was nice because they had a serious coach and some excellent riders. That was in '89, and just a week ago one of those guys was over at our house for dinner with his wife. We've done thousands of miles together on various trips, and now we sit around, drink wine and talk about our ailments. I've had some incredibly fun rides with guys and gals I've met just dropping into a group. But I always looked before I leap. If a pack looks squirrely, I run for the hills.

BTW, this is an issue that comes up a lot around here because on the weekends, the place is overrun with packs of cyclists from various shops, clubs, racing teams, etc.

-- Jay Beattie.