Emergency stopping - clipless

Old October 31st 04, 02:22 AM
Badger_South

Default Emergency stopping - clipless

I'm riding on a grassy area planning to use the picnic table as a 'cue' to
stop and unclip. I wanted to get the maneuver down to as quick a time as
possible, and then get clipped in and going in a minimum of time. Once I
could do this reliably, time for the streets. Shouldn't take a minute.

Second lap, I'm doing so well I decided for some deranged reason to ride
past the picnic table (yay). Riding at about 3 mph in granny gear, looking
down at the pedals I look up and see there's this 2 ft wide and 2 ft deep
drainage ditch about 4 feet from me. I felt a moment of panic.

Suddenly, and I don't know how, I was completely unclipped and standing
next to the bike. It all happened so fast that have no idea what I did, but
apparently the reflex is -in- place. So...no worries!

-B
still scratching head...

Old October 31st 04, 11:00 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
|| I'm riding on a grassy area planning to use the picnic table as a
|| 'cue' to stop and unclip. I wanted to get the maneuver down to as
|| quick a time as possible, and then get clipped in and going in a
|| minimum of time. Once I could do this reliably, time for the
|| streets. Shouldn't take a minute.
|| Second lap, I'm doing so well I decided for some deranged reason to
|| ride past the picnic table (yay). Riding at about 3 mph in granny
|| gear, looking down at the pedals I look up and see there's this 2 ft
|| wide and 2 ft deep drainage ditch about 4 feet from me. I felt a
|| moment of panic.
|| Suddenly, and I don't know how, I was completely unclipped and
|| standing next to the bike. It all happened so fast that have no idea
|| what I did, but apparently the reflex is -in- place. So...no worries!
|| -B
|| still scratching head...

Good.....I think. Just remember: out on the road, each new situation is a
bit different than the last. Not a reason to fret, though. Practice makes
perfect.

Old November 1st 04, 02:54 AM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:22:08 -0400,
, Badger_South
wrote:

Suddenly, and I don't know how, I was completely unclipped and standing
next to the bike. It all happened so fast that have no idea what I did, but
apparently the reflex is -in- place. So...no worries!

Figure out how it worked so you don't unclip accidently.
In time, as you become more comfortable using the pedals, you may, if
possible, want to adjust them for less uncertain disengagement.

I discovered, to my sudden and timely relief, that my cleat would also
release by turning my heel in.
--
zk
Old November 1st 04, 06:10 PM
amh

Badger_South wrote in message . ..
I'm riding on a grassy area planning to use the picnic table as a 'cue' to
stop and unclip. I wanted to get the maneuver down to as quick a time as
possible, and then get clipped in and going in a minimum of time. Once I
could do this reliably, time for the streets. Shouldn't take a minute.

Second lap, I'm doing so well I decided for some deranged reason to ride
past the picnic table (yay). Riding at about 3 mph in granny gear, looking
down at the pedals I look up and see there's this 2 ft wide and 2 ft deep
drainage ditch about 4 feet from me. I felt a moment of panic.

Suddenly, and I don't know how, I was completely unclipped and standing
next to the bike. It all happened so fast that have no idea what I did, but
apparently the reflex is -in- place. So...no worries!

-B
still scratching head...

Thinking always gets in the way of smooth action. If you have time to
think about something you are too late.

A word of caution though, I've noted that it takes more effort (and
time) to unclip from a worn out cleat. More so for my Look pedals than
the SPD's.

Andy
Old November 1st 04, 07:05 PM
Badger_South

On 1 Nov 2004 09:10:41 -0800, (amh) wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I think what I did was a quick unclip of both feet and then a
reverse Roy Rogers. IOW, push off the back of the bike with a little hop,
and pushing the bike forwards a little.

My clip is new, and things are working just fine now, as though I was born
to ride clipless. Yeah that's my story and... ;-)

-B

Clipless for Ball of Foot Pain smyrna45 General 10 August 4th 04 12:33 AM
Emergency service hazards Nick Kew UK 11 May 21st 04 02:45 PM
clipless horror stories Gary General 30 April 26th 04 02:15 PM
Advice please: newbies and clipless pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 43 November 19th 03 11:42 PM
Clipless pedals: lets beat a dead horse... Destroy Mountain Biking 19 August 13th 03 06:35 PM