Looking for a Speedey-O-Meter

Old May 12th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

Default Looking for a Speedey-O-Meter

'Back in _MY_ day...' we had the mechanical speedometers, (and if
neglecticed they got to clciking and making a distraction).

Now a days I understand they use a magnetic pickup to count wheel
revolutions and generate not only speed but with the built in
computers can tell you distance, cadence(?) and all kinds of stuff.

My specs a

- (if possible) Mount and leave in place. Hardened and hard to steal
is a big plus.

- Besides SPEED & DISTANCE I'd think to want know elapsed time and
maybe an easy to see clock, basic functions I'm sure.

- Weatherproof is fun because while I don't leave the bike in the sun
all day it gets a fair amount of weather, including rain, from time to
time. I need hard stuff 'cause I bike like that. ;])

Having likely tried different units I'd like to hear from folks who
can perhaps steer me away from stuff that might look good but aint
worth the money, things like that.

TBerk

Old May 12th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

TBerk wrote:
[...]

Cateye Strada Wireless.
Cheap at any competent LBS:
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/408

p.s. simple, quick installation.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 12th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 12, 1:13 pm, TBerk wrote:
[...]

Tons of decent cheap computers out there these days. I use the Sigma
BC506 on my city bike for amusement. Minimum features done right.
Constant large speed display. One button. Elapsed time, distance,
clock. Easy to set accurately by measuring wheel circumference. Mounts
to stem or bar with o-rings. Water tight, and twists off in half a sec
when you park. $20 or less on sale at REI.
Old May 12th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 12 May 2008 11:13:32 -0700 (PDT), TBerk
wrote:

[...]

Dear T,

Spend ~$10 on a Schwinn cyclocomputer:
http://sports.zorbastores.com/item/180241744617

Used to be available at WalMart and similar places. They may now have
a $20 wireless version.

All the normal functions--accumulated distance, trip meter, trip time,
max speed, average speed, real time, blah-blah-blah, with distance in
0.001 miles (just a tad less than a single wheel spin), not the
hideously coarse 0.01 mile measurements that take all the fun out of a
ride.

Switches to metric, too, but that would be useless where I live.

For rain, rubber-band a piece of plastic wrap around any cyclocomputer
or fiddle with plastic sealants.

If that's not enough for you, you've spent only ten bucks.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 12th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

may have said:

[...]

I have seen one person whose approach to making the comp
theft-resistant was cogent; he mounted a wireless comp's head on a
wris****ch band so that only the sender stayed on the bike. There are
lots of wireless selections available, but none (AKAIK) is set up for
this particular dodge inherently. Most have a quick-release bracket
that allows speedy dismount, and therefore speedy theft if left
aboard. (Puns intentional.)

Old May 15th 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TBerk

Thx folks,

good info me thinks.

TBerk