Carbon Repair

Old October 22nd 14, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Default Carbon Repair

On 10/22/2014 3:46 PM, Clive George wrote:
On 22/10/2014 18:41, Duane wrote:

Was 3 weeks ago and I think I mentioned it before. Was a speed bump
under leaves. Wasn't there the last time I did the ride. Cracked ribs,
road rash, bruises. Large crack in the helmet. Frame seems ok. (bike
frame that is) I rode back 15km or so to the start.

I'm ok but still can't ride. Maybe another week. I'm at the point where
coughing still hurts but laughing not so much. Sucks to see recovery
taking longer as time goes by though.

Bummer. Hope it all gets better.

Thanks. Should be back on the bike shortly. Just hate missing the fall
rides.
Old October 22nd 14, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:34:17 AM UTC-7, SMS wrote:
On 10/22/2014 10:00 AM, Duane wrote:

Seems like you would have to smash the hell out of the tube with the bar
to damage the tube.

It's one of the most common carbon fiber failures.

Advice from fibretechsolutions:

"Road bikes- its better for the bar end not to be at a height that could
rotate around and hit the top tube. Mountain bikes- it's the shifters
and levers position that can rotate around and hit or gouge the top tube."

Another solution would be to put a length of split foam pipe insulation,
of the appropriate diameter, over the top tube.

Wow, I had no idea that there was such a high risk of hitting my top tube with my bars. I guess I could just take them off now to prevent problems in the future. Put on some of those fixie bars. http://tinyurl.com/kn2azpo (Maybe put my crank on the wrong side, too.) Then again, even if I change my bars, the brake arm will whack my downtube. Crap. I guess I'll have to take my front brake off, too. I'm SO sorry I every bought my SuperSix. The moment I walked out of the showroom, I knew I should have gotten the Gazelle.

Right choice!: http://www.gazellebikes.com/~/media/...?mh=640&mw=960

Wrong choice: http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/images/...SS2C_rep_8.png

Damned thing doesn't even have pedals. You don't know how hard it is for me to keep my feet on the ends of the crank arms. Drives me nuts.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 22nd 14, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/22/2014 1:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Damned thing doesn't even have pedals. You don't know how hard it is for me to keep my feet on the ends of the crank arms. Drives me nuts.

Just get some long cable ties and run them through the threaded holes at
the end of the crank arms and around your shoes. Your feet will stay on
just fine.

Be sure to get left-handed cable ties for the left and right-handed
cable ties for the right.

Old October 22nd 14, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/22/2014 4:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Wow, I had no idea that there was such a high risk of hitting my top tube with my bars.

I guess I could just take them off now to prevent problems in the future.
Put on some of those fixie bars. http://tinyurl.com/kn2azpo
(Maybe put my crank on the wrong side, too.)

Whaddya mean "wrong side"?? See, that's exactly the problem with this
group: people are so judgmental!

Then again, even if I change my bars, the brake arm will whack my downtube. Crap.

I guess I'll have to take my front brake off, too.

Yesterday, a local woman brought her kid's bike over for me to fix.
Main problem was that the kid was apparently riding it with NO front
quick release lever. I'm astonished that it was even possible.

Secondary problem was that apparently the kid removed the QR to let the
axle spin in the dropouts, because the hub is pretty much locked up. (I
suspect a broken bearing cage or ball.) The threads on the ends of the
axle were ground almost smooth.

Minor tertiary problem is that the nifty suspension fork was pointed 180
degrees out of phase with the handlebars. But the brake did fit behind
the fork in that position, and seemed to work OK, considering. I did fix
that for her.

All of which illustrates your problem, Jay. You didn't buy your bike at
Toys-R-Us like she did. A bargain at $100!

(Bike shop wouldn't sell her a QR nor work on the hub. They said it
would cost more than the bike's worth. I'm going to see what I can do.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 22nd 14, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 22/10/2014 20:49, Duane wrote:
On 10/22/2014 3:46 PM, Clive George wrote:
On 22/10/2014 18:41, Duane wrote:

Was 3 weeks ago and I think I mentioned it before. Was a speed bump
under leaves. Wasn't there the last time I did the ride. Cracked ribs,
road rash, bruises. Large crack in the helmet. Frame seems ok. (bike
frame that is) I rode back 15km or so to the start.

I'm ok but still can't ride. Maybe another week. I'm at the point where
coughing still hurts but laughing not so much. Sucks to see recovery
taking longer as time goes by though.

Bummer. Hope it all gets better.

Thanks. Should be back on the bike shortly. Just hate missing the fall
rides.

So called for good reason? :-)
Old October 22nd 14, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:58:35 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 10/22/2014 2:47 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 22, 2014 2:36:44 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
On 10/22/2014 2:26 PM,
wrote:

Sucks to see ....

so the road dudes moved a speed bump into yuor path n covered it with leaves ?

Well I doubt that the road dudes covered it with leaves. More like fall

did that. But you're in south FLA so maybe you don't know how that

works. :-)

Anyway, it was my fault. Nice fall day having too much fun and not

being careful enough. I was just saying my CF frame survived having the

bars smashed into it pretty hard.

Coupla months ago paddled a groundbreaking downwind and back..downwind with the tide 25 miler on Fla Bay....last 5 miles was a toughee as the wind shifted against me but the tide continued running out to the Atlantic.

I GPS'd to the under bridge route to Long Key and the Atlantic at Jewfish Hole...finding an embankment.

While I was on the West Coast, The road crew moved the under bridge route 7 miles south to Tom's Harbor.

Then there's Gate's S&T Tours. Gates once sent me 80 miles out of my way to a scenic over the Sierra's route south of Tahoe...Mormon Handwagen Trail...blocked by a 6 foot snowbank.

Lived for 10 years in a hardwood forest below Binghamton.

Then you know it's not the road guys installing the leaves.

you need rolling lessons. Fall on a shoulder while rolling then continue rolling. Not directly avoiding collarbone.

Learned how to roll playing football. Hard to roll clipped into a road
bike. Landed square on my side and my helmet with my arm under my side
cracking ribs.

right, the Leaf Roll...now try for your Frozen Bridge Grate Merit Badge...

Old October 22nd 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 23/10/14 04:41, Duane wrote:

Was 3 weeks ago and I think I mentioned it before. Was a speed bump
under leaves. Wasn't there the last time I did the ride. Cracked ribs,
road rash, bruises. Large crack in the helmet. Frame seems ok. (bike
frame that is) I rode back 15km or so to the start.

I'm ok but still can't ride. Maybe another week. I'm at the point where
coughing still hurts but laughing not so much. Sucks to see recovery
taking longer as time goes by though.

Not good. Sorry to hear. Light exercise will promote healing if not
too painful.

--
JS
Old October 22nd 14, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 23/10/14 07:42, Clive George wrote:
On 22/10/2014 20:49, Duane wrote:

Thanks. Should be back on the bike shortly. Just hate missing the fall
rides.

So called for good reason? :-)

Thought the same.

--
JS
Old October 22nd 14, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Clive George wrote:
On 22/10/2014 20:49, Duane wrote:
On 10/22/2014 3:46 PM, Clive George wrote:
On 22/10/2014 18:41, Duane wrote:

Was 3 weeks ago and I think I mentioned it before. Was a speed bump
under leaves. Wasn't there the last time I did the ride. Cracked ribs,
road rash, bruises. Large crack in the helmet. Frame seems ok. (bike
frame that is) I rode back 15km or so to the start.

I'm ok but still can't ride. Maybe another week. I'm at the point where
coughing still hurts but laughing not so much. Sucks to see recovery
taking longer as time goes by though.

Bummer. Hope it all gets better.

Thanks. Should be back on the bike shortly. Just hate missing the fall
rides.

So called for good reason? :-)

Apparently. :-)
--