Making America into Amsterdam

Old July 27th 18, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:32:04 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 21:09:57 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 9:47:18 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
On 7/26/2018 7:04 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:

snip

More utter nonsense from you!

Wow, maybe you should think about formulating logical responses to facts,
rather than emulating our commander in chief.

Both sms and Aunt Joan are ignorant and beyond hope, so why bother?

LOL, well I'm pretty sure that everyone here can tell the difference
between a logical factual response and one-line, content-free, personal
attacks. It speaks volumes about each poster.

Here is one web site where you can begin to educate yourself:
https://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/when-to-use-headlights.php

"In some instances, using the high beam setting on your headlights will
make it easier to see the road. If there are few or no streetlights on
the road, high beams will help you see farther down your path,
preventing you from hitting any animals or pedestrians crossing in front
of you."

This is why motorists use high beams. It isn't to be obnoxious, at least
not in most cases. It's to avoid hitting things that are difficult to
see at night

SMS, I believe everyone here knows how to use headlights. Those instructions
need to go to the dolts who my wife complained about on our drive home this
evening. It was about 30 miles entirely over rural highways. My wife complained
more than I did - "I wish those guys would dim their lights!" or "I hate those
bright lights! Why isn't that illegal?"

Most people driving at night are sensible and responsible. But there's a
significant number who just do not bother to turn their high beams off. There's
also a significant number who either say "MFFY, I'm leaving my brights on"
or who might think "Wait, you mean there are two settings for my headlights??"

Those latter ones are the ones I'm calling low IQ. And compared to totally
self-centered and abusive, low IQ is charitable.

- Frank Krygowski

I really wonder. I've driven with all sorts of folks from the so
called "red necks" to some pretty sophisticated people, school
teachers et al, and I can't remember single example of someone
running on high beams just to be a Horse's Ass.

I have seen vehicles with the head lights out of adjustment, running
on high, but in that (those) cases it still isn't an effort to be
obnoxious, rather an effort to see where one is going.

But maybe I've lived a sheltered life and they are out there. After
more then half of the first 20 years of my working career was spent
outside the U.S. and all of the next 20 or so, so maybe there places
that are choc ka-block full with people that the average person would
pay good money to avoid.... and I just haven't been there yet.

.... but I keep watching the antics of your latest President ...

No one was talking about high beams. They were talking about the LED or
whatever headlights that give off a bright bluish tinted light. Bright
enough to seem like they’re high beams.

The so called "driving lights"? New car here have LED lights front and
rear but I think the idea is for the car to be seen as they aren't
particularly bright. Probably about the same a driving with the
parking lights on.

Y'all have something brighter then we do.

Old July 27th 18, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Maybe they aren't LED but these Zenon HID lights:
https://www.powerbulbs.com/ca/blog/2...car-headlights

Old July 27th 18, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Not every vehicle, but the blue ones are dramatically
disconcerting on low setting (sans asshole driver).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 27th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-07-26 18:43, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 16:27:45 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-07-25 16:41, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:38:57 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-07-24 19:53, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2018 07:41:08 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-07-23 18:27, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 15:13:21 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-07-22 21:44, John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

If the bicycles are for work, what are the cars for?

Have you ever tried to haul half a ton of wood pellets, firewood,
construction lumber and whatnot on a bicycle, uphill? With uphill I mean
some serious hills.

Why ever not? Small loads and many trips, just as you would if you
were walking. The argument, "OH! It is too big for my bike", is just
that an argument for using the car.

Obviously you have never hauled four cords of firewood from a location
that is 1400ft lower than where you live. That's eight tons.

Quite the opposite. I spent much of my second career transporting
stuff through jungles, up and down hills and through swamps. I'm quite
aware of the effort of moving tons of machinery and equipment up and
down hills.

On a bicycle. Through the jungle. Right.

Well, not on a bicycle but certainly through the jungle. I might add
that in some places, usually swamps, we carried the cargo on our
heads, arms, back, any way we could get it there.

The sysmic crews, who admitedly didn't work for me, were strictly
human powered. Every thing that they did was powered by hand. Cut a
path through the jungle - by hand. Drill the shot holes - by hand.
Carry everything through the jungle - by hand. Build a camp - by hand.

When cost is not an issue or the government pays the tab that's
feasible. When cost is an issue and its for a house it is an issue. It
doesn't work.

I might point out that my father built two houses (2 bedroom and 3
bedroom) while working as a postal clerk by doing all of the work
himself. Granted it does take a long time but it is both possible and
economically feasible.

And how did the lumber, cladding and all that get there? On a bicycle?
On foot?

I've got to qualify that by adding "with the building codes of the
period" as modern building codes have, in my opinion, gone far past
the reasonable and appear to have become simply job protection for
those in the trade.

To some extent yes. Electrical code, no, that is mostly there to prevent
fires and electrocution.

Yeah, some dreamers can go back to the no-car world. Then when little
Joey gets acute appendicitis he can't be transported fast enough and
dies from it. Like in the "good old" days.

[...]

If little Joey has adequate medical attention his appendicitis will
never become acute.

Nope. Appendicitis happens out of the blue and it can go fast. A
neighbor was transported to a hospital, fast, and the doc said after the
surgery that the appendix literally exploded in his hand when he
operated. Without a motor vehicle available he would have very likely
died from something that is rather simple to fix these days. Same for
many other illnesses, including non-preventable ones such as rattlesnake
bites.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 27th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

Ohio must be different. I have experienced over-bright headlights, and
headlights that are poorly aimed, but have never been anywhere that
drivers commonly neglected to dim their brights for oncoming motor
traffic. In many locales behaving that way would be tempting homicidal
road rage, not to mention traffic citations.

Old July 27th 18, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Duane writes:

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 21:09:57 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[ ... ]

[...]

Frank *is* talking about high beams:

Old July 27th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

+100% You nailed it Duane.

Chers

Well, _someone_ was talking about high beams. Do a Ctrl-F search for
"high beam" on the page above. The phrase comes up in SMS's post to
which I responded.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 27th 18, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/27/2018 11:45 AM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

OK, more details. First, my complaints apply mostly to two different
rural routes I have to drive at night, typically once per week. These
are two lane state highways in farm country. One is hilly and curvy.
Each drive is a bit over 30 miles.

Most drivers are fine, but I can count on at least two or three that
handle their high beams badly. I know that it's unscientific to rely on
general impressions, but ISTM that pickup truck drivers are over
represented among offenders. They are also far more likely to have
auxiliary driving lights running, which also add to the glare. I suspect
some of this goes along with the "rolling coal" mentality.

Is it just inattention, or is it MFFY? I've had a couple incidents where
I've flashed my brights to ask them to dim theirs, and they responded by
turning on their auxiliary lights. I once described in detail here where
a pickup driver sat across from me at a red light with his high beams
on. When I flashed my brights, he turned on a super-bright light bar at
the top of his windshield.

As to not knowing how to operate the lights: A few years ago I was a
passenger in a car driving a similar rural road. We have a problem with
deer crashes, and I expressed surprise that this person did not have her
high beams on, since there was no other traffic. In response, she said
"I don't even know how to turn them on." I had to tell her to push the
turn signal lever forward.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 27th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/26/2018 9:43 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

If little Joey has adequate medical attention his appendicitis will
never become acute.

Sorry, I disagree based on personal experience.

Has anyone besides me had the experience of riding their bike home from
work with acute appendicitis?

It didn't happen because of a lack of medical attention. I felt fine in
the morning, and not very bad in the afternoon. I had a belly ache on
the way home, but by about 7 PM I was feverish and shaking. My doctor
came into the office to examine me, and by about 9 PM I was at the ER,
based on his evaluation.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 27th 18, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 9:44:15 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/26/2018 9:43 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

If little Joey has adequate medical attention his appendicitis will
never become acute.

Sorry, I disagree based on personal experience.

Has anyone besides me had the experience of riding their bike home from
work with acute appendicitis?

It didn't happen because of a lack of medical attention. I felt fine in
the morning, and not very bad in the afternoon. I had a belly ache on
the way home, but by about 7 PM I was feverish and shaking. My doctor
came into the office to examine me, and by about 9 PM I was at the ER,
based on his evaluation.

No, but I've ridden my bike with acute pulmonary embolism, broken hand, separated shoulder, broken ribs, broken legs (although with internal fixation and ortho boots), internal bleeding, concussion, facial, leg, arm lacerations, flu, head-cold, allergies, hang-over, sunburn, acne and indigestion. Not all at the same time. My hair is also thinning, and my joints hurt. I could do a century with acute appendicitis.

Let's face it, little Joey was a slacker. I don't miss him in the least. And the last time I checked, even people with no cars can call an ambulance or even Uber. No need to ride the bike to the hospital.

Don't they have ambulances in Cameron Park? Uber? Yellow cab? A spare golf cart? We can save little Joey!

-- Jay Beattie.

Looking like Amsterdam Alycidon UK 23 August 15th 15 06:45 PM
A bicycle not wood, Black & Decker's feeble attempts at making bicycletools and tire-not-making Doug Cimperman Techniques 7 December 8th 12 11:40 PM
Tire-making, episode {I-lost-track} --- making inner-tubes DougC Techniques 1 September 11th 10 03:43 PM
TT: 1. Deutschland Uber Alles 2. America 3. America Ted van de Weteringe Racing 4 September 25th 08 07:26 PM
These mp3 interviews -Air America -Know why there is about to be civil war in America. A MUST LISTEN harbinger Australia 17 June 4th 06 12:16 AM