Tires for rain

Old July 11th 05, 03:22 AM
Slugger

Default Tires for rain

I have almost bailed a few times because of these tires(Kenda Kwest) on
my EZ-Sport. I live in a temporate rain forest where the rain is
relentless in the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better
tire for the rain? Is there such a thing or is it the nature of a
recumbent to slide all over the road when its wet ?
Old July 14th 05, 07:19 AM
Edward Dolan

"Slugger" wrote in message
I have almost bailed a few times because of these tires(Kenda Kwest) on
my EZ-Sport. I live in a temporate rain forest where the rain is
relentless in the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better
tire for the rain? Is there such a thing or is it the nature of a
recumbent to slide all over the road when its wet ?

The best solution to your problem is not to ride in a downpour. However, for
a slight rain and some wetness on the road surface, a wider tire with lower
pressure will solve many problems. It is also very important to slow down in
wet weather. I have never found that tread matters much when the road gets
really sloppy with rain. But narrow high pressure tires can be a disaster
under such conditions. Basically you want a bigger foot print under you
which only a wider (fat) tire will give. That, combined with going slower,
should help a lot.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 14th 05, 08:51 AM
Slugger

In article , Edward Dolan
wrote:

"Slugger" wrote in message
[...]

Behold! The recumbent side of Ed Dolan!
Old July 16th 05, 03:15 PM

http://www.icebike.org/Articles/TechniquesBlackIce.htm discusses how
slick it is under various weather conditions

Old August 2nd 05, 10:01 PM
Don Boring

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:22:10 GMT, Slugger wrote:

I have almost bailed a few times because of these tires(Kenda Kwest) on
my EZ-Sport. I live in a temporate rain forest where the rain is
relentless in the winter. Does anyone have any suggestions for a better
tire for the rain? Is there such a thing or is it the nature of a
recumbent to slide all over the road when its wet ?

I use Maxxis brand on an EZ-1 and they aren't fast
but they are virtually bullet proof and stable in
all weather.
http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/overview.asp

Don Boring
Glendora, CA. USA
Easy Racer EZ1-SC and Lightning Thunderbolt